Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? Could someone help me with a few questions relating to my dog being on heat? Is it right for her, (being a female dog) to want to mount my arm, my blanket, the corner of my bed??
In the last couple of days she started being really weird. She wants to chase her tail alot. Unless it's because she's trying to smell herself??
Sorry, I have never had a maltese terrier before & I must sound weird myself. She was given to me when she was nearly 3years old. She is very protective of me now & when we go for walks, if a man walks past, she growls & barks 'FULL ON' until they are clearly passed us. She's fine with kids (if your not a boy) & you dont put your hand out to fast to pat her. You can't have a high pitched voice either or she'll growl & bark.
Are most female terriers like this? OR is she in a catorgory of her own?
HELP please if anyone can.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well I dont really know anything about dogs going into heat as I have never had a girl dog but getting her spayed would be a good idea. Also I just have to say unless your dog happens to be a mix a maltese is not a terrier, I think they are more closesly related to spanels I hear might be wrong though.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Jun 10 2005, 10:10 PM
Well I dont really know anything about dogs going into heat as I have never had a girl dog but getting her spayed would be a good idea.  Also I just have to say unless your dog happens to be a mix a maltese is not a terrier, I think they are more closesly related to spanels I hear might be wrong though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71518
[/QUOTE]

Maltese terrier is a correct term. If you go read the literature on Maltese, you will see this over and over. Here is just one of many references I found to this: Breed Profile - The Maltese makes an ideal house pet. The Maltese Terrier does not shed ... The Maltese was once known as the Maltese Terrier and was an excellent ratter. ...
When my dogs come in season, they may try to mount each other, but, other than that, I don't see any personality change.
If you have not plans to breed your dog, then I would recomend the spay also. It is in her best interest as it reduces health problems such as cancer.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by scrappy@Jun 10 2005, 10:44 PM
This thread is from 2003
How did it pop up?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71524
[/QUOTE]

coz someone (angel, apparently) was reading old threads and mistakenly thought it was new
then it showed up in the new topics, and lilly replied, and so on.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou+Jun 10 2005, 10:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Jun 10 2005, 10:10 PM
Well I dont really know anything about dogs going into heat as I have never had a girl dog but getting her spayed would be a good idea.  Also I just have to say unless your dog happens to be a mix a maltese is not a terrier, I think they are more closesly related to spanels I hear might be wrong though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71518
Maltese terrier is a correct term. If you go read the literature on Maltese, you will see this over and over. Here is just one of many references I found to this: Breed Profile - The Maltese makes an ideal house pet. The Maltese Terrier does not shed ... The Maltese was once known as the Maltese Terrier and was an excellent ratter. ...
When my dogs come in season, they may try to mount each other, but, other than that, I don't see any personality change.
If you have not plans to breed your dog, then I would recomend the spay also. It is in her best interest as it reduces health problems such as cancer.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71520
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oops my bad.

Originally posted by scrappy@Jun 10 2005, 10:44 PM
This thread is from 2003
How did it pop up?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71524
[/QUOTE]

Wow didnt even notice that lol I gotta remember to read that part.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
According to the American Maltese Association, a Maltese is not a terrier:

MALTESE MYTHS

The Maltese is NOT a terrier! The plural of Maltese is still Maltese - not Malteses. There is no such thing as a "teacup" or "pocket" Maltese. The Maltese is a TOY breed. Our Standard calls for the Maltese to be "under 7 lbs. with 4-6 lbs. preferred". Some Maltese do mature at under 4 lbs. while others mature at over 7 lbs.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
The American Maltese Association will probably also say that the Maltese is not a Bichon, but in France the Maltese is called a Bichon Maltais probably because they are from the same family and before the Maltese existed, there was the Bichon. One of the history of the Maltese mention's that his ancestors were used to combat mice and rats proliferating in the harbour warehouses. Terrier's are well known for that.
I think the AMA says it's not a terrier because on show's the Maltese is not classified under terrier but under toy breed. But that does not mean he is not a terrier.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Jun 14 2005, 08:55 PM
The American Maltese Association will probably also say that the Maltese is not a Bichon, but in France the Maltese is called a Bichon Maltais probably because they are from the same family and before the Maltese existed, there was the Bichon. One of the history of the Maltese mention's that his ancestors were used to combat mice and rats proliferating in the harbour warehouses. Terrier's are well known for that.
I think the AMA says it's not a terrier because on show's the Maltese is not classified under terrier but under toy breed. But that does not mean he is not a terrier.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72679
[/QUOTE]

This deals with another breed, but the Miniature Schnauzer is considered a terrier and is shown in the terrier group. The Standard is shown in the non sporting group, and the Giant in the working group. In Europe, the mini is not considered a terrier and is not shown in the terrier group. Many people are hesitant to get them because they equate terrier with dogs that might show aggression. We do some things different with dogs when they come to this country. I have a good friend who raises Schnauzers, and she ships her whites to Europe where they receive championships in a number of countries, yet they are considered mutts by many Schnauzer show people in the USA.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jun 13 2005, 10:07 AM
I wish that the date that the thread was started would appear with its title in the listings.
Joe????
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72079
[/QUOTE]

The date doesn't show in the topic title itself, but if you put your mouse over the subject it does show the date before you click on it. I always hold my mouse over the subject before clicking on it, because there have been a few really old ones that have popped up and I almost posted to a couple before I realized how old they were... LOL

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway...lol

History and Origin

For over 28 centuries, the Maltese has been depicted in paintings, ceramics and literature. The breed has even been memorialized in Greek tombs and is typically thought of as a dog of royalty and nobility. With a Mediterranean heritage, the breed hails from Malta and has always been a human companion and beloved pet.

The origins of the Maltese are traced back to spaniels, not terriers as you might think. The long silky white hair coat hangs to the ground and made the breed a cherished pet of noble ladies in the 1800s. Due to their diminutive size, these dogs were typically carried in the ladies' sleeves or tucked into their bosom.

In 1877, the Maltese was first shown at the Westminster Dog Show. At that time, the breed was called the Maltese Lion Dog. In 1879, the breed was again shown at Westminster, this time under the name Maltese Skye terrier, though it is not a terrier. Eventually, the breed was accepted into the toy breed group of the American Kennel Club as the Maltese in 1888.[/B]

Unless you were born in the 1800's the Maltese hasn't been classified as a terrier in quite some time.

-c

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Littlemans Mom@Jun 15 2005, 05:42 AM
I always hold my mouse over the subject before clicking on it, because there have been a few really old ones that have popped up and I almost posted to a couple before I realized how old they were...  LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72751
[/QUOTE]

I tried it just now and unfortunately it only works on the threads when looking at them on the main category page. I almost always get to the posts by clicking on "View New Posts" at the top of the page and then see the list newest to oldest and for some reason that feature doesn't work for me on that page.

Joe ?? Is there a way that the thread originating date Alt Tag could be made to work on the "View New Posts" page?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts