Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've looked at web sites about mattresses and read there stuff but would like some opinions about what you like about your mattress or what you don't.
We had a serta queen size type that you could flip and it is firm type. Want to get a king size mattress this time just don't sure if want to go serta again.

Linda:unsure:

·
Registered
857 Posts
I love my mattress. It is a King size and is now six years old and still like new.
It is latex. I am not sure of the manufacturer but I will look the next time I change the sheets.
I would never buy another spring mattress, ever!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:aktion033:I'd appreciate it as I'd like to see if they have it in my area, though might have to go to Amarillo, Tx, or Liberal, KS to find it if our two furniture stores don't have it.
Linda

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I'll never buy a pillow top again. It caved in, I've put a 2" memory foam topper on. Some say the foam is hot and hard to move around. I have no problems with I, intend to get a memory foam bed next time.

·
Registered
598 Posts
We bought a king size mattress a few months ago and after looking at lots and "trying" them all out we bought it from "the Mattress Factory". they are made here in Raleigh, North Carolina so I'm not sure if they sell them elsewhere, but it is the best mattress!!! I love it and I don't think I've ever seen a bad review on them from anyone who has bought one.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Just last year I bought a Stearns & Foster (their mid-to-upper line, not the cheapest) and am overall pleased with it for the price I paid. One of the reasons why I went with S&F is because of their incredible warranty -- if even the handles on the mattress break/rip off, they replace your mattress (not repair it).

Most mattresses you only rotate, not flip. Mine is one you rotate and it has handles on all 4 sides of the mattress, it is SO easy to rotate that we do it every 2 months. :)

I would advise against getting a full pillowtop since the top wears out so fast. I would get just the "plush" if you are wanting something soft, and of course if you need a more firm mattress get something firmer.

If I had unlimited funds, I would get an upper-line Tempurpedic. Their lowest line isn't that great I don't think, but the higher end of their line is great.

Edited to Add: I just thought to add that having foam around the outer edges of the mattress is VERY important if you get a spring/coil mattress. It helps the mattress keep its shape as well as make it comfortable for those who sleep on the edge of their bed or sit on the edge. I have it, and now I don't know how I lived without it!

In Consumer Reports, Tempurpedic is rated the #1 brand by consumers (CR doesn't test any mattresses themselves, they compile only from consumer reviews so I don't know how accurate it really is). Simmons is #3 I believe, Serta down quite a bit further.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
wow, what a small world. i have spent the last 6 weeks researching mattresses online and then in stores to try them out. both DH and i have allergies. my key criteria for selecting a mattress is the following:

1. no metal parts, even in the boxspring
2. no chemical fire retardants - natural or organic wool is a natural fire retardant
3. only organic cotton or silk
4. no chemical/man-made memory foam or latex materials.

i finally decided on natural latex with an organic wood foundation from natura, their eco-haven model (NaturaWorld.com | Latex Foam Mattresses, Organic Bedding, Organic Latex Mattresses, Baby Crib Bedding, Kids Bedding, Pillows, Comforters & More). it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and we just ordered it yesterday. it has a 6" dunlop (standard) latex core and a 2" talalay latex topper wrapped in wool and organic cotton. the mattress has one of the best warranties in the industry (20 years).

personally, i have not been happy with recent purchases made based on recommendations from consumer reports. therefore, i've gone and done my own research.

i put together a big spreadsheet for my husband on all of the different brands and costs, etc. please feel free to PM me your email address and i'd be happy to send it to you. in a nutshell, we had it narrowed down to Natura, Savvy Rest and WJ Southard 100% natural latex mattresses with wood foundations. hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
i forgot to give you a good website for a buying guide if you plan on going to a traditional mattress store: How Retailers Sell Mattresses - Buying Guide.

also, we found that high end furniture stores (i.e. Cisco, HD Butterworth, etc.) were more likely to carry the organic mattresses than most of our local mattress retailers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts