Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to vent abit, so get some tea, coffee, or wine and sit back and help me figure this out.
We winter at a RV park where we have always been liked at least we thought we were liked:blink: but this winter people are going out of their way to be rude to us:blush: and I know why, here's what happened last winter
Christmas Eve at the RV park, well they have a gift exchange they call it a white elephant gift exchange, it's open to everyone in the RV park, but mostly the old regulars attend, they have snacks, and do the exchange, your suppose to get a gift that cost from $10.00 to $20.00, you get a number when you give them your gift they call the numbers one at a time and you go up and choice what gift you like wrapped. We seemed to have a ok time last year until someone received a gift they felt wasn't worth the $10-$20.00:unsure:, so they told the manager at the park they were unhappy with their gift, so at the end of the party the manager stood up and said I would like whoever brought this gift (he held it up) to come and exchange their gift because he felt the gift wasn't worth the $ we were suppose to spend. I sat at my table of 12 and was livid, the manager continued to bring up the gift two more times and ask whoever bought the gift to excahnge their gift and leave it on the pool table. I was so upset because someone's feeling were crushed, I should have taken my gift up and exchanged mine for that gift, but I didn't yes I regret it sooooo much, I was so taken back by the whole thing that I left early. The next day I go to the mail room and here's a letter posted about the gift again:angry: they left the letter up for two weeks:huh: and then sent out a newsletter asking for the the person to bring back the gift they had taken and replace with the gift they felt wasn't worth enough.
At that point I spoke up to everyone I ran into that was at the party, I told them I couldn't believe this happened and I felt it wasn't about the gift but the giver. I believe with all my heart that poor person will never look at Christmas the same way, their heart had to be broken. I don't regret speaking up I just wish I would have exchanged my gift for that one.
Now we are being snubbed:blush:, dh worries that the same group of people will try to cause us issues when our dogs bark once in a while. I really don't care, we have always been good RVers and will continue, so do you think I over stepped? I don't but maybe I need a second opinion here. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I don't think you overstepped at all. In fact, I think I would have reacted the same way that you did. The cost was $10-$20 and yes, most people might look more towards the $20 range but others might have only been able to afford more towards the $10 range given that last year many people were hit by the bad economy without warning and perhaps weren't prepared for it. I think it is incredibly tacky how the situation was handled asking someone to step forward like this is public humilitation (esp. considering that it was made public that tha park manager did not feel the gift was worth the $10 bottom limit).

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I don't think you overstepped at all. In fact, I think I would have reacted the same way that you did. The cost was $10-$20 and yes, most people might look more towards the $20 range but others might have only been able to afford more towards the $10 range given that last year many people were hit by the bad economy without warning and perhaps weren't prepared for it. I think it is incredibly tacky how the situation was handled asking someone to step forward like this is public humilitation (esp. considering that it was made public that tha park manager did not feel the gift was worth the $10 bottom limit).

:goodpost: I totally agree with what Erin said. I'm just not as articulate as her.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I would of probably handle it the way you did Paula. The two people at fault were the receiver and manager. How ungracious of the reciever, they probably didn't like it and wanted something else. The manager should have never handle it that way.
He should of told the reciever that they could discuss it in private and/or have another gift available for cases like that one. Why would the manager want to humiliate someone in front of everyone. I can't believe your fellow RV'ers don't see your point of few and even if they don't it's no reason to snub you and your DH.

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well most of these RVers here have been at the park since the 1980's:w00t: it's a little family and I guess we just don't fit the part. :innocent: I'm soooo glad I am different then they are. At the end of the season we are selling our RV here, we had planned on doing that anyways. We are thinking of getting a motorhome that way we can pick up and leave if we want.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Completely agree with Erin here!

Paula, I'm so sorry that you're being treated like this, when these people have completely lost the true meaning of giving and the season. That truly hurts me.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Oh Paula, I'm so sorry you have had to deal with such childish behavior. How petty of the mgr and receiver. Haven't they ever heard the old saying, "it's better to give than to receive"? I guess they don't understand what the gift exchange was TRULY about.....enjoying one another's company for the evening and celebrating friendship. :( I feel so honored to be your friend, Paula. Gifts don't matter. Friendship is priceless. It's sad, they don't get this.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of old bitties....is this an age restricted park?

I feel bad for the poor soul who was humiliated like that, you did right. What was the gift anyway? Was it all that bad?

Just go about your days and don't let mean people bring you down....I hope they don't start picking on you guys. :angry: Or I'll send Abbey and Tinker out there, then they'll have something to complain about!!! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts

I feel bad for the poor soul who was humiliated like that, you did right. What was the gift anyway? Was it all that bad?

Just go about your days and don't let mean people bring you down....I hope they don't start picking on you guys. :angry: Or I'll send Abbey and Tinker out there, then they'll have something to complain about!!! :thumbsup:
I agree with what Pat said - how awful for the gift giver - they must have been humiliated! The recipient should have kept their "trap" shut and the manager handled it horribly. Good for you for speaking up!

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

you know I've met so many nice older people who are so kind and loving, and I bet they were that way when they were young, your so right Pat they are a bunch of old hurtful people who must be soooo unhappy, bet they were the same way when they were young.
The gift was a oak key holder it was in the shape of a key, it wasn't a cheap one. I wish I would have traded, I received a plastic wind chime, and I like it still use it, but the key holder would have been better for me. Gosh I could kick myself for not speaking up at the party and trading my gift

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
These people ought to be ashamed of themselves, Paula. Walk on with your head held high, girlfriend.

Funny, in certain times dealing with dissension, you find out who your friends really are.
xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxo

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh Paula, I'm so sorry you have had to deal with such childish behavior. How petty of the mgr and receiver. Haven't they ever heard the old saying, "it's better to give than to receive"? I guess they don't understand what the gift exchange was TRULY about.....enjoying one another's company for the evening and celebrating friendship. :( I feel so honored to be your friend, Paula. Gifts don't matter. Friendship is priceless. It's sad, they don't get this.
Suzi I feel the same about you, your such a kind and loving friend. It was Christmas a time of sharing love, and caring for one another. I have thought sooooo many times about the gift giver, I wish I knew who it was I'd give them a big hug and tell them I loved them

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, they are terribly petty and tacky and they're being bullies, too. Sorry you have to even be at the same RV park with such people. I would just try to stay out of their way.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
The same things happened several times at an annual white elephant gift exchange we were involved in. That is one of the main reason why we no longer participate in white elephant or secret santa gift exchanges. People are so hung up on "stuff," it's such a shame. I remember one year I gave a book - a very good book that won awards, and the recipient complained about getting a book all evening without even looking at it. Never again.

I have no advice for you. You did the right thing. I'm sorry that people are treating you poorly. Such petty nonsense.

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These people ought to be ashamed of themselves, Paula. Walk on with your head held high, girlfriend.

Funny, in certain times dealing with adversity, you find out who your friends really are.
xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxo

AMEN. I do walk with my head held high and if one of those people needed a hug I would be right there for them, maybe they need to see what love is all about

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
I would of probably handle it the way you did Paula. The two people at fault were the receiver and manager. How ungracious of the reciever, they probably didn't like it and wanted something else. The manager should have never handle it that way.
He should of told the reciever that they could discuss it in private and/or have another gift available for cases like that one. Why would the manager want to humiliate someone in front of everyone. I can't believe your fellow RV'ers don't see your point of few and even if they don't it's no reason to snub you and your DH.
Shame on them.

Paula,

What a wonder person you are.

~Allie

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
The same things happened several times at an annual white elephant gift exchange we were involved in. That is one of the main reason why we no longer participate in white elephant or secret santa gift exchanges. People are so hung up on "stuff," it's such a shame. I remember one year I gave a book - a very good book that won awards, and the recipient complained about getting a book all evening without even looking at it. Never again.

I have no advice for you. You did the right thing. I'm sorry that people are treating you poorly. Such petty nonsense.
Shame on those people. I don't participate in things like this for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I agree with everyone else and can't believe someone would cause such a fuss over something like that at a Christmas gathering. You did the right thing and really the ones that treat you differently now weren't your friends anyway. I wish you could have given that gift giver a hug too.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I agree with all the other posts, it was mean and petty, not in the spirit of the season at all. I have been embarrased like that too.

But what popped into my head is the gathering will be happening again soon. Will you go? If you don't, what will they say to and about you? If you do attend?

Tough decision. I have no advise.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts