Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two malts that were rescues. Realizing that they had a tough start, I don't always hold the standard of "normal" for them, they were underfed, etc.

BUT.......in recent weeks, my Sweetie, the smallest of the two, and the more frail, has been for lack of another word......lethargic. She sleeps ALOT.....ALOT........like 23 out of 24 hours.

I have taken her to the vet (no advise there, he looked at me like I had a screw loose)
I have tried to stimulate her, and play with her. Even her mate, Buddy trys to play sometimes, and she at times will join in and play, and other times will look at him and just snear, like......BUG OFF!!!! :new_Eyecrazy: I have even taken her for extra walks thinking that the exercise would help.

She is eating. She is pooping. She even plays at TIMES. She is loving. She cuddles. She appears in NO pain at all. She runs when "daddy" comes home. She is just SLEEPING ALOT!!!

I get kind of down when fall sets in and summer is over.......I thought maybe she was picking up on my blues. Do you think that is possible??

ANY INSIGHT would be appreciated!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Did the vet do a blood test, thyroid test, urinalysis, fecal, etc. on her? It seems to me that something is not right. I can't imagine that this would be caused by your mood and I am really surprised that the vet made you feel like you were stupid or something. Sleeping that much and a change in behavior like that needs looking in to, IMHO.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You didn't say how old Sweetie is.

I agree with K&C's Mom. Start with basic bloodwork that is age appropriate (seniors need more extensive & frequent testing), and go from there.

Her behavior doesn't sound normal to me either. I especially worry with rescue dogs since their background is unknown.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Have you tried giving her some Nutri-Cal? If she has not been getting her proper nutrition before coming to you she might need a little boost. Also, going to a new home can be traumatic. She may be a little depressed. I would give the Nutri-Cal and be very patient with her. Try giving her some one on one attention.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Vet did bloodwork, examined her, and feels she is okay physically.
I don't know what to do other than go to another vet.

She IS okay some of the time, just sleepy. I thought of diabetes, kidney disease......all kinds of things. He says no.

Sweetie is now 5 years. Like I said, she had a rough start. Almost bled to death giving birth (she was bred her first heat by these animals @ 2.9 lbs!!) She was severely underfed too. But that was then. She has been healthy for the most part while I have had her.........except for one bad case of the runs a few years ago!

I just wondered if there might be some residual from a poor start. Some mental/physical/psycological thingy I 'm not thinking of. It has only been a bit over a week. I know we all have down times, but to me.......it seems strange......even for a pup with a slow start.

I will try nutri-cal. I was thinking vitamins too.....think that is overkill?
They usually eat just fine!!!!! And although she is choosy sometimes.....she eats well.
chicken, fish, veggies.......and retail dog food is always down.
She gets plenty of water. I don't see her drinking too much to too little.....
she is peeing okay....urine is okay.

This is just a mystery to me..........and while not an emergency, it DOES concern me.

I'm not just being an overly protective mom am I?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
If it was one of my babies I would be worried to. She isn't old so there really isn't a reason she should sleep that much. I would seek a second opinion. Trust your gut. If you think there is something wrong don't let it go. You know your babies better then the vet.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes there are LOTS of tics all around.........all kinds.
I do protect them from fleas and tic. They get heartworm protection, and of course allt he usual vacinations. I have seen no fleas or tics on her, I did check that. But, I guess one could have bit her and left? (not a tic I suppose)

I would RUSH her to U of Penn Vet if I thought it were an emergency. As I said, she still awakens, even plays at TIMES. But when she isn't she is curled up and asleep.

I will try the nutri-Cal and just "baby" her alot. If by Monday or Tues, she isn't better, I will take her to U of P for eval.

This just baffles me. I have had malts since the 80's. Never experienced this. If anything, they have had TOO MUCH energy!!!! My malt Chumley had ileomyosarcoma and didn't act lethargic like this!

Here's hoping!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really appreciate all your input.

If anyone has had a dog that is less than energenic, let me know......maybe this is just a phase?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Have you had her thyroid checked? My first malt, Rosebud, had a low thyroid and her only outward symptoms were seeking warmth and having no energy. Her bloodwork was way off and the vet ended up not diagnosing the thyroid problem until months later and after I spent thousands of dollars.

I sure hope it is nothing serious. Please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Another thing too is I don't know if you are aware but they have found now that our pets do not require all the vaccinations every year like some vets insist upon. In actual fact they can cause our little ones to become ill from being over vaccinated. A lot of vets fail to tell us these things because they are good money spinner. There is a thread in here on this topic too and I am sure someone can perhaps post a site here that you can read on that very subject.
Like K/C has said I would ask the vet to do a thyroid check as an underactive thyroid can make them feel very miserable and it is so simple to keep this problem under control with thyroid hormone treatment.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweetie WAS just vacinated a few weeks ago........and that IS when her probs started.

They did thyroid tests as far as I know. I know the Vet said her blood counts, her BUN and creatinine were fine. I am going to call tommorrow to get a copy of the blood work.

She also had bordetella vaccine (nasal).

He has ALWAYS been a dog tha doesn't like to be cold, but I attributed that to her low hemaglobin when I first got her (she almost bled to death) It was now within normal limits according the vet.

Sometimes I feel as if I am just too protective. They are such small creatures. Akin to children.......and so helpless! She is NOT a deaths door. She eats, poops, wags her tail.......just sleeps ALOT.

I appreciate all your input. I was starting to think this was all in my mind! Now I realize my instincts were right......and I will persue this.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
If this al started with her vaccines I bet the Nutri~Cal will pep her up. When Sassy had her Bordetella nasal it actually gave her a mild case of kennel cough. I had to take her back to the vets for medication to nip the cough. (That was a couple of years ago.) Anyway to answer your question about vitamins. Sassy takes vitamins and I do occasionally give her Nutra~Cal because she can also be a bit picky with her eating. I get her vitamins from her vet and he is the one who said to give her the supplement when I need to. He is such a great Vet.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My first Malt, Rosebud, had all sorts of health issues. I was at the vet a lot. Each time I would feel silly... thinking it was nothing and I was being overly concerned. Every single time it was indeed something and I was so glad I had listened to my instincts and had taken her in. Don't ever feel silly about being a good mommy and looking out for them. They are almost helpless without us. Keep up the good work!!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Have you tried a diet change? Last year we were concerned that Miko seemed sleepy all the time. Of course we took him to a vet and she ran every test possible. His BUN ended up being slightly elevated but his liver enzymes were completely normal. Anyways, after ruling out an ulcer with a fecal test looking for blood, our vet suggested doing a 2 week trial of vegetarian food. Amazingly Miko seemed a lot better on the vegetarian food with lots more energy. However, I didn't want to have him be on it forever, so we changed to a food with meat but with less protein content, which turned out to be Natural Balance reduced calorie. He also seemed to like the food a lot and now is back to being energetic. I am convinced that Chicken Soup for dog lover soul contributed to him being so sleepy. Our vet didn't think the BUN elevation was very real (it was only a few points elevated). I would suggest at least trying the food change to see if it could make a difference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Kallie/Catcher's Mom. I sometimes obsess about these little guys....I just love them so much.....I'm glad you think I am not being a nut like the Vet does!

Sassy's mommy.......I am going to try some vitamins and maybe the Nutri-Cal.....thanks

OKW.....It is funny you bring up the protein. (despite her BUN and Creatinine being normal)........I have posted before about her being a vegetarian!!!!
She LOVES veggies......and I have noticed these past few weeks, she beats Buddy her mate to the meat......and that is unusual for her. Usually she eats the lions's share of veggies, and less meat. He the opposite. But recently, she seems to crave it.
Maybe i will seperate them for feeding this weekend, and see if she will eat more veggies.

Scoobydoo, I appreciate the post about vaccines......the timing is right.....that is for sure. Makes me wonder........

I have to work the entire weekend (12 hour shifts), but my hubby will be with her. She loves him more anyway, LOL
so I will have him monitor her behavior as well.

I truly LOVE this site...........Such good advice........and friendliness.......it is unsurpassed on the net!!!! YEAH for us!~

thanks everyone!~

THANKS JOE!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts