Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I need your help. As some of you might remember I have been keeping Lexi in my bathroom while I am at work. When I am at work she likes to dig at my wall (only in one spot) and at the door frame next to the spot. Here are some pictures of it.

I thought of putting her in the kitchen but I am afraid she will do the same thing there. I also thought of getting an exercise pen and putting it in my dining room. But I am afraid she will dig at the carpet. I live in an apartment so I can't have her damaging stuff. Until I figure something out Lexi is in her crate while I am at work. She doesn't really mind it. I think she sleeps the entire time.

OK now on to what I need help with. In Nov, Dec, and the beginning of Jan I will be working 10 hours a day 5, possible 6, days a week. I will be taking a manditory 1 hour lunch so she will only be in there for 5 hours at a time. I really don't want to leave her in there for that 50-60 hours a week. I was thinking of getting a excerise pen but a lady at the store told me they should only be used when you can supervise your pet. Is this true?

I also thought of doggy day care but I to look into the prices and see if there is even one close to me. I think I would only be able to afford one or two days a week.

My mom & dad said that Lexi could come and stay with them for a couple of weeks if that would help. So I am thinking of having her go for a week at the beginning of Dec and may another one at the end. It is going to be very strange at my apartment without her.

Sorry, to rample on but I am very worried about what I am going to do with her.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 27 2004, 09:01 AM
Hi, everyone.  I need your help.  As some of you might remember I have been keeping Lexi in my bathroom while I am at work.  When I am at work she likes to dig at my wall (only in one spot) and at the door frame next to the spot.  Here are some pictures of it.

I thought of putting her in the kitchen but I am afraid she will do the same thing there.  I also thought of getting an exercise pen and putting it in my dining room.  But I am afraid she will dig at the carpet.  I live in an apartment so I can't have her damaging stuff.  Until I figure something out Lexi is in her crate while I am at work.  She doesn't really mind it.  I think she sleeps the entire time.

OK now on to what I need help with.  In Nov, Dec, and the beginning of Jan I will be working 10 hours a day 5, possible 6, days a week.  I will be taking a manditory 1 hour lunch so she will only be in there for 5 hours at a time.  I really don't want to leave her in there for that 50-60 hours a week.  I was thinking of getting a excerise pen but a lady at the store told me they should only be used when you can supervise your pet.  Is this true? 

I also thought of doggy day care but I to look into the prices and see if there is even one close to me.  I think I would only be able to afford one or two days a week.

My mom & dad said that Lexi could come and stay with them for a couple of weeks if that would help.  So I am thinking of having her go for a week at the beginning of Dec and may another one at the end.  It is going to be very strange at my apartment without her.

Sorry, to rample on but I am very worried about what I am going to do with her.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=7830
[/QUOTE]
We have to leave both of ours alone for 8 hours a day, but we have a doggie door so they can go in and out, which I know you can't do. However, in the beg. we did not have the doggie door and we had a big cage/exercise pen that they stayed in with their crate, tons of toys, food water and pee pad. In the beg. it was just the one and he did fine in it. Gave him more room to play but still restricted his reach of going on a seek and destroy mission
they are so sweet how could they possibly destroy anything
. I saw your other email about doggie daycare, if it checks out okay that would be a great option. Just thought I' d let you know the exercise thing worked well for us, now their baby girl is using it to get used to expanding her turf..

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking of doing the doggie day care 2-3 times a week. The problem is that I am not sure what time I would get done at night. So I am thinking of doing it for only the AM. If I sign up to be billed at the end of the month they will only charge me $6 for 5 hours. That way I can drop her off before work and then pick her up at lunch.

2happymalts: Thanks for letting me know the excerise pen worked for you! How high is yours? I was thinking of getting the 24" one, but I am wondering if I should just get the 36" one so that I know for sure that Lexi can't climb it/jump it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I don't leave Tuffy alone too much but when I used to leave him in the bathroom he used to rip up the carpet and chew on the door. I bought this bitter spray by Nature's Miracle and just sprayed it everywhere he would possibly think of chewing and that stopped him cold from doing it. I think it's WAY more potent than Bitter Apple spray.. so much that if you do use it, I'd suggest wearing a painter's mask and keeping the dog away while you spray it. If you inhale that stuff it will make you want to vomit and makes you sneeze like crazy. Let it dry really well before you let Lexi back in there. I also think the excercise pen sounds like a great idea since it would limit the area she's allowed in but way bigger than a crate. Good luck!

·
Registered
939 Posts
If I had to make a choice I would go for the Doggie DayCare. Once you get Lexi home she will be so tired she will sleep in her crate until you return and never know you were gone

Judi

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi Lexis mom,
I had the same problem wiht my girls, they used to also chew/scracht on the wall in the hallway and in the bathroom made a whole on the wall while I was at work. that problem was on and off. and suddenly they stop doing that. :wacko:
what i'm trying to say is that maybe Lexi will grow out of it soon just like maya and daezie did.

In my area doggie day care os $35 and up. so $6-$12 is not bad at all

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your comments and support.

I think I will pass on the excerise pen for now. I can always get one latter if need be. I think I will do the doggie day care for 5 hours a day 2 or 3 times a week. Probably either MWF or TTh. I think that will help a lot. I know after we go for longs walks or she has been playing hard she crashes afterwards. So I think she would spend the afternoon sleeping in her crate. She should be fine in her crate on the in between days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts