Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I lost my furbaby to Parvo (probably already had it when I got him) I just wanted to know something. I know some people have said I need to really dissinfect (sp??) my home as much as possible before bringing in another puppy. But I found a 2 yr. old baby and am wondering how this would affect an older dog? Can he still get it if he has his shots? Are the concerns the same? Is this Parvo able to infect an older than 2 yr. old with shots?? Do I need to burn my house down & start over???
I know, I know, but sometimes I find a baby that might be the one but my husband is stuck on the fact that he heard we have to wait 6 - 9 months before bringing in another dog!!


That just frustrates me becuase I've found a couple of older dogs (in the 6 mo. to 3 yr range) that need homes and we can provide one. Tell me if we still need to wait for an older guy or if it would be ok. I'm really, really wanting another dog.
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
I'm not sure if someone who was trying to rehome their dog would consider placing it in a home where a puppy had just died of Parvo anyway, so it may be a non-issue.

I think you need to ask your vet this question, not us. Too much is at stake. Older dogs are less at risk than a puppy, but Parvo is a deadly disease. You certainly don't want another heartbreak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
I agree with Marj, please ask your Vet and then get a second opinion.....6-9 months is NOT to long to wait when you consider the alternative......I saw a dog die of Parvo, it is a horrible, horrible death. I personally would never even consider bringing a new dog into a home that was that "fresh" with parvo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
i agree - you should wait at least 6 months before bringing any dog into your home, whether it be a puppy or an adult. you don't want this to happen again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
I would say that if you have disinfected the house thoroughly, the dog has had shots, the vet has given you the go ahead and you have disussed it with the person who you are getting the dog from, perhaps it may be ok, but I am a little worried about it and would probably be waiting. As said before, there is an element of risk which is not worth ignoring, and the safety and well being of the dog is of the utmost importance.
Could you ask the owner of the dog to hold it till you are sure it is safe, perhaps wait just to be sure. You certainly don't want to go throught that sort of pain again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
First off let me say I know how fustrated you are. It is hard to deal with losing a dog to parvo and then worrying you didn't clean enough, you missed a spot with the bleach and everything else.

Our vet told us when we were in your situation to bleach everything we couldn't throw away, including the carpet. That seemed unrealistic to me so I asked him if there was something else that would kill the virus but not ruin all the fabric in my house. He recommended a product called Roccal D http://petsupplies4less.com/sbsite.php?&i=...ant%2C+5+gallon. I sprayed my whole house and yard down using this and a sprayer thingy I bought at Home Depot.

Ask him what he thinks about an adult dog. It was my impression when I spoke with my vet that parvo very very rarely effects dogs over 1 yr as they build immunity to it. I would check with my vet and let him know what you want to do and follow his suggestions. I am sure you have already told the people you are looking to adopt from that you lost your puppy and if you have taken precautions and followed your vets advice I don't know that they would hold that against you.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top