Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good book or even maybe a program that I can learn the basics of using a computer? I hate that I can't put different pictures of Ruby Jean on here and also when I find a product I would like to share with everyone-I would love to be able to post a picture or something like that....maybe these aren't basic things but everyone seems to be able to do it but me!!
I would appreciate any help I could get. Thank you!!!

wow sorry I didn't spell computer right in my heading......

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There are so many picture programs out there. Just go to Best Buy or something like that and ask someone what program is the most user friendly and what features it has. They can help you out.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
For the basic computer uses I would recommend the Dummy series books. They are pretty good and I think you can get them for the different operating systems. So if you have Windows XP you can get a Windows XP for Dummies book. These books are helpfull and funny. Not sure if they cover posting pictures though.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I have seen those books and wondered if they were good or not! For dummys is right! ha ha
I will check them out this weekend.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by RubyJeansmom@Apr 8 2005, 02:51 AM
Does anyone know of a good book or even maybe a program that I can learn the basics of using a computer? I hate that I can't put different pictures of Ruby Jean on here and also when I find a product I would like to share with everyone-I would love to be able to post a picture or something like that....maybe these aren't basic things but everyone seems to be able to do it but me!! 
I would appreciate any help I could get. Thank you!!! 

wow sorry I didn't spell computer right in my heading...... 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50376
[/QUOTE]

Hi,

You don't need a book to post pictures.... I think we can help you here. First though..... do you now how to use the photo program that came with your camera? Which brand camera do you have?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't think those books are going to teach you how to post pictures. They are only going to teach you the basics to how the operating system works. If you buy a program in a box it comes with a user manual. If you download from the Internet you are on your own (there is always the help menu).

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you should try taking a Windows 98 or a Windows 2000 class at your local community college. my first year at college of the canyons (my junior college)...i took windows 98. i think i made it to like 5 classes and got an A in it.
LOL.

i know about computers---so it sucked.

but you said that you need help learning about computers...and i think going to a junior college and learning the basics is a great idea since you can be hands-on with a computer. AND...after class you can ask questions like "show me how to post on spoiled maltese".

i took an HTML class (it sucked...) and i would ask the teacher extra things to put onto my assignment. lol. like pics of sprite.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Apr 8 2005, 09:29 PM
I don't think those books are going to teach you how to post pictures. They are only going to teach you the basics to how the operating system works. If you buy a program in a box it comes with a user manual. If you download from the Internet you are on your own (there is always the help menu).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50716
[/QUOTE]

Right....there are just a few instructions needed and that's it... no need to take a class or read a book if that is all you are wanting to learn. Try these instructions and see if they work for you. I bet you can do it!! If you have any questions, please PM me. However, I assume you know the basics such as "copy", "paste", etc. ??

To Add Pictures in Your Post:

1. First you need to have your photos "hosted". You can go to Image Cave Free Hosting and upload photos from your computer. You'll need to register there first. Hosting is free.

2. Then "copy" the URL of the photos. The URL is found in your Album which you can go to after your images area loaded. You can edit your image to change the size. Something in the 400-500 range is about right for posting. On Image Cave the "Edit" button is under each photo in your Album.

3. Then open up a posting box here on SM. "Paste" the URL of your image in to your post. Put IMG and the front of the URL and /IMG at the end. Put brackets around both. OR you can let the computer do that for you by clicking IMG at the top of the posting area and paste your URL there and it will put in the IMG, etc. for you.

To Add a Signature Photo:

The signature is what will appear at the end of every post automatically.

1. Click on "My Controls" which is at the top of all SM pages.

2. On the left nav go to "Personal Profile" and under that choose "Edit Signature".

3. A posting box will appear.

4. To have a photo in your signature, you need to have your photos "hosted". If you don't already have a hosting company, one you can can go to is Image Cave Free Hosting and upload photos from your computer. You'll need to register there first. Image Cave Free Hosting

5. You'll need to follow the instructions from Image Cave or other hosting company you may be using. Upload your photo to your hosting company's web site.

6. Then "copy" the URL of the photo. The URL is found in your Album which you can go to after your images area loaded. "Paste" the URL in to the SM posting area. Put IMG at the front of the URL and /IMG at the end. Put brackets around both. OR you can let the computer do that for you by clicking IMG at the top of the posting area and paste your URL there and it will put in the IMG, etc. for you.

You can edit your image to change the size. Something in the 400-500 range is about right for posting. The "Edit" button is under each photo in your Album. For a signature you may want to go smaller. If you want to see what size the photos are that people are using on SM go to the photo and right click on it and then choose "Properties" from the choices and you'll see a box that comes up and it'll indicate the size of the photo.

To Pull A Photo Off The Internet

1. Right click on the image and choose "Save As" and then save it to your computer where you would normally save photos such as in My Documents, etc.

2. Upload the image from your computer to a hosting site such as Image Cave Image Cave Free Hosting. You can also upload it to the SM Gallery instead, but it'll take up valuable space for posting your baby's photos.

3. Find the photo that you uploaded and copy its URL. (Found in the Album section, etc.)

4. Go to your regular SM posting box and paste the URL in it. You should but IMG in front of it and /IMG at the end. Be sure to put brackets [ ] around it. OR you can let the computer do that for you by clicking IMG at the top of the posting area and paste your URL there and it will put in the IMG "tags" for you.

Another posting tip: When posting a web site's address within your post you'll want to make it "clickable". Click on http:// at the top of the posting page on SM and when the pop-up box comes up, put your link there instead of directly in your post either by "pasting" or you can type it in. Another pop-up box will then come up, (it is pre-populated with "My Web Page"), you can simply paste again if your URL was copied and pasted from your address bar and the entire URL will show in your post or you can type in whatever you want and that is what will show up as your clickable link such as "Bla Bla Web Page".

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, if you only want to know how to post pics...you should soo ask everyone here. and honestly, if you dont get it...just say "explain it another way".

but if you dont know how to right click on your desktop to change your desktop background...or you dont know how to search a file....take a class.

there are things that you learn in a class that you dont even think about doing.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Apr 9 2005, 05:49 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MalteseJane
@Apr 8 2005, 09:29 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50716
Right....there are just a few instructions needed and that's it... no need to take a class or read a book if that is all you are wanting to learn. Try these instructions and see if they work for you. I bet you can do it!! If you have any questions, please PM me. However, I assume you know the basics such as "copy", "paste", etc. ??

To Add Pictures in Your Post:

1. First you need to have your photos "hosted". You can go to Image Cave Free Hosting and upload photos from your computer. You'll need to register there first. Hosting is free.

2. Then "copy" the URL of the photos. The URL is found in your Album which you can go to after your images area loaded. You can edit your image to change the size. Something in the 400-500 range is about right for posting. On Image Cave the "Edit" button is under each photo in your Album.

3. Then open up a posting box here on SM. "Paste" the URL of your image in to your post. Put IMG and the front of the URL and /IMG at the end. Put brackets around both. OR you can let the computer do that for you by clicking IMG at the top of the posting area and paste your URL there and it will put in the IMG, etc. for you.

To Add a Signature Photo:

The signature is what will appear at the end of every post automatically.

1. Click on "My Controls" which is at the top of all SM pages.

2. On the left nav go to "Personal Profile" and under that choose "Edit Signature".

3. A posting box will appear.

4. To have a photo in your signature, you need to have your photos "hosted". If you don't already have a hosting company, one you can can go to is Image Cave Free Hosting and upload photos from your computer. You'll need to register there first. Image Cave Free Hosting

5. You'll need to follow the instructions from Image Cave or other hosting company you may be using. Upload your photo to your hosting company's web site.

6. Then "copy" the URL of the photo. The URL is found in your Album which you can go to after your images area loaded. "Paste" the URL in to the SM posting area. Put IMG at the front of the URL and /IMG at the end. Put brackets around both. OR you can let the computer do that for you by clicking IMG at the top of the posting area and paste your URL there and it will put in the IMG, etc. for you.

You can edit your image to change the size. Something in the 400-500 range is about right for posting. The "Edit" button is under each photo in your Album. For a signature you may want to go smaller. If you want to see what size the photos are that people are using on SM go to the photo and right click on it and then choose "Properties" from the choices and you'll see a box that comes up and it'll indicate the size of the photo.

To Pull A Photo Off The Internet

1. Right click on the image and choose "Save As" and then save it to your computer where you would normally save photos such as in My Documents, etc.

2. Upload the image from your computer to a hosting site such as Image Cave Image Cave Free Hosting. You can also upload it to the SM Gallery instead, but it'll take up valuable space for posting your baby's photos.

3. Find the photo that you uploaded and copy its URL. (Found in the Album section, etc.)

4. Go to your regular SM posting box and paste the URL in it. You should but IMG in front of it and /IMG at the end. Be sure to put brackets [ ] around it. OR you can let the computer do that for you by clicking IMG at the top of the posting area and paste your URL there and it will put in the IMG "tags" for you.

Another posting tip: When posting a web site's address within your post you'll want to make it "clickable". Click on http:// at the top of the posting page on SM and when the pop-up box comes up, put your link there instead of directly in your post either by "pasting" or you can type it in. Another pop-up box will then come up, (it is pre-populated with "My Web Page"), you can simply paste again if your URL was copied and pasted from your address bar and the entire URL will show in your post or you can type in whatever you want and that is what will show up as your clickable link such as "Bla Bla Web Page".
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50805
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for posting this. Although I somehow managed to get a picture up in avatar, I have been too worried to change it b/c I didn't think I could do it again. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by okw@Apr 9 2005, 04:18 PM
Thank you so much for posting this.  Although I somehow managed to get a picture up in avatar, I have been too worried to change it b/c I didn't think I could do it again.  Thanks again!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50881
[/QUOTE]

Actually, an Avatar is a little different in that you do not need to have it hosted. You can use an photo directly from your computer. Here's how:

Here is how to post an avatar, the photo under your name:

1. Click on My Controls located at the top of all SM pages.

2. You will then see a page with a listing of choices on the left. Look at the Personal Profile section, the fourth category.

3. Cick on Edit Avatar Settings under the Personal Profile category.

4. Now you're on the page you'll need to add your photo. Go to the last selection titled: Upload a new image from your computer

5. Click on Browse and you will see your computer files. Find the photo you want from your computer and click on it and then click Update Avatar. You may need to hit "Refresh" to see the new avatar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts