Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new neighbor just moved in last week and we now have a strong smell of pot in the master bathroom. I used to live in Holland where it's legal so I have nothing much against its use as long as I am not involved.
However we don't even smoke normal cigarettes and hate the smell of smoke so we are really not enjoying suddenly having a pot smelling bathroom.

In a way I think it's funny and in a way I think it's going to get old real quick.
Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can bring this up in a non confrontational way? We like the new neighbor and would like to be on good terms with her.

Any suggestions much appreciated!!
(Why is there always SOMETHING with every neighbor when you live in a condo??).

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i dont know what to say...but just the other day i opened my back door and it smelled like someone was smoking pot right in my face! prob was the neighbors kid in the back yard but man it was strong! i dont know whether to tell the parents..the kid is in college.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
is this in an apartment? I went through this once

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
oops, condo i see now, we had a college student who lived below us in an apartment years ago, he was very quiet but his pot smoke would seep up through the floor into our bathroom, we called management, they came and sealed up the holes, we could still smell it, we called them again, they came out and sealed some more holes, didnt help, i called them one day and said i was calling the police and letting them know that this was a problem and that they were trying to cover up the problem for the sake of a rent payment and would be sure to log my complaints and documents from the "maintenance" visits with the police

he was gone in a week

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Does this lady own her condo? And do you own yours? I always hate to see neighbors get crossed up with each other. It would be awful if she was vindictive or something. Still, you shouldn't have to put up with the smell of pot. I wish I had a suggestion, but I don't. We own the condo that our daughter lives in and the condo board is VERY strict. If we had a problem we would just refer it to the board and they would handle it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Back when I was a single mom and my kids were babies I lived in a hellish, scary apartment for a few months. (My friends wouldn't even come visit after dark). The bedrooms were at the back of the apartment, and it was summer so I would put the kids down early with the windows open. Couldn't figure out why the kids were so sleepy in the morning--till after about 3 nights I happened to enter their room shortly after they went to sleep and their bedroom was filled with pot smoke. It had come from the downstairs apartment!! Don't have a solution for your problem, believe me, I wasn't gonna confront my neighbours--I moved as soon as I could.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you feel illegal drugs are being used, call the police. You don't have to give your name, the neighbor does not have to know the source. Law enforcement is trained to detect and identify pot. Illegal drug use is likely to be a lease violation anyway so you new neighbor could be on a really short term lease.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I would just mention it to the neighbor first and see if she can smoke her pot in a room that doesn't connect to your unit and see if that helps. If not, I would work with the neighbor to find another solution.

I would imagine she would be terribly embarrassed about it (assuming she is a reasonble person). After speaking with her, if she does not seem like she gives a hoot about your rights to a condo that doesn't smell like pot, then I would call the police. I would give her a chance to make things right before calling the police.

I don't think a condo board would get involved with something like this that takes place within the units. I was on a condo board for seven years and now I'm on a homeowner's board for a single family/townhome neighborhood and we would not want to get in the middle of something like that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The funny thing is that this is a small condo building, where units sell in the 600 to 700,000s - so it's not that we are camping out in a crappy place - both of our places are beautiful - just clearly not terribly well built!

The other funny thing is that the new neighbor is now the oldest resident of the building (probably mid to late 40s) and is very nice. She's kind of arty though, so I guess she's doing the whole 'free spirit' thing.

And yes, we both own our condos, so there really is no escape unless we sold which seems drastic, especially since we have only been here for 4 months ourselves!

I think we are going to have to follow Kallie/Catcher's Mom's advice and speak to her about it before we do anything else.

I was thinking of almost joking about it and seeing how she reacts? She actually seems nice, so would much prefer not to escalate it too much. Problem is that I've only met her once, so not sure how she would react to something like this.

If I could put up with it, I would - but the smell makes me feel really sick and I would really prefer not to have it wafting around our master suit!

Thanks for the advice from everyone - seems ironic that the place we have moved into with the most grown up neighbors is also the place where we have a problem with a pot smoker!
Just goes to show you never can tell when you move in somewhere what people will be like!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Vikki and Audrey@Aug 10 2005, 10:31 AM
We just finished revamping our kitchen - here it is!
Probably tiny compared to most of yours, but it's a good size for Hoboken!  We love it, so I hope you don't mind me showing it off!
Wow, your kitchen is totally stunning!! It looks plenty large to me... really beautiful!!

Back to the smoke problem...... I know this would be a temporary fix but could you try one of those candles that is supposed to get rid of the smell of smoke?

After thinking more about this and after hearing more about the neighbor, I truly bet she would be so embarrassed to hear that you can smell the smoke and would probably be very glad you mentioned it to her.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Wow...beautiful kitchen!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I too would not call the police...seems a bit antagonistic to the new neighbor...

I also thought that maybe she has a legal medical use for smoking...such as Chemotherapy or constant nausea...I know there are others but I am not well versed on them. I do beleive that talking with her is the best thing, but you may be surprised to find why she is smoking...or I could be nuts...

Susan

·
Registered
942 Posts
Or she might totally get offended and deny everything. The tough part is that you guys own your places...I don't think she is going to stop smoking pot though...my neighbors had friends over and they were smoking pot...I had to close all of the windows on that side of the house and blast my air cleaner (I don't have central air) and finally the smell went away. I don't even want to think about what I would have to do if they continued that. I know you want to be on good terms with a neighbor, but then again, do you want to be sucking in toxic/illegal fumes and getting a second-hand high? Not me. I would also approach her in a friendly manner. I would go and introduce myself first, wait a day or so, then go back and bring it up. You don't want the first conversation you have with her to be negative...or, you could say that you have been smelling pot, it makes you feel physically sick, and does she know who it might be because it has been very recent. Maybe she will take the HINT and do it somewhere else.

I hate confrontation. I like to hint things first, then go hard core.

Just my opinion!

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Wow so gorgeous. I love your kitchen. It is so beautiful. I have a tiny ugly kitchen lol. It is just old looking....we had planned on redoing it this winter but now looks like we will be selling and moving across town at the first of the year and it has a pretty kitchen.

Thanks for sharing I love looking at photos of other peoples homes

·
Registered
31 Posts
And here's another thought, how much smoke does one have to breathe in, even second hand, over a period of time before you would test positive in a drug test? I have no idea how sensitive they are, but wouldn't that be a pain trying to explain that one?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89149
[/QUOTE]

I work in public housing where there is a Zero Tolerance Policy. If you don't report it, you too can lose your lease for failure to report illegal activity. You are dealing with a stranger who already is breaking the law.............hard to tell what else might be going in her home. Possibly growing her own? She has a seller somewhere, that means you could potentially have a dealer in your nighborhood as well.

Employees are subject to random drug testing. Good point.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Georgeous kitchen... I totally love it.

I agreed with the last 2 comments, I will got and report to the police, they dont have to tell her who report anything, and think of the "extra" consequences that it can bring if you dont say nothing, like, sellers, buyers, violence etc. I know I may sound extreme, but you have to protect yourself.

If you confront her you dont know how is she going to react. Even when she seems nice, some people is very "sensitive" to certain topics and maybe from embarasment or anger can react in a angry or violent way. Just be careful!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm sure you have rules and regulations, restrictive covenants or the like with your condo and I'll bet you a dollar there is a clause somewhere about not engaging in illegal activity.

I sure wouldn't put up with the smell of pot in my home! I would try to work through your board first, but, as K&C's mom said, since it's illegal they may tell you to report it to the police. I think the board should be made aware of it, though.

In a way it's better that it's pot, not regular cigarettes. I would hate the smell of cigarette smoke, too, and it would be much harder stop that.

How are your kitchen and bathrooms vented? It sounds like the smells are being sucked into your condo. If there is a structural problem and you have a warrenty, maybe it can be fixed?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts