Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I understand dogs bark time to time. But this one particular dog, VERY near my house has been barking outside now for the past 2 HOURS!!! Since 3pm, it is now 5.

Non...stop. I can't even take Nelson outside because then he starts barking at the dog. I can't open the windows because then it's even louder and Nelson starts to bark. I have all the windows closed and I can still hear the dog barking. It is I think coming from a house behind my house, but like 3 houses down. That far away, and it is really getting on my LAST nerve.

What to do??? I mean when I have Nelson outside and he starts barking like a crazy man I bring him inside. This is ridiculous. I think these people just got a dog too. Because I saw them in our alley (behind our houses) with a chocolate lab the other day. So what the heck, they get a brand new dog and just chain it up outside or something leaving it to bark for hours on end?? I have no idea if they are home or went out or what. I try not to let barking dogs bother me, but after 2 hours of non stop barking it gets a little annoying. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I mean and I don't really know what to do, I even went outside and yelled shut up, thinking if they were there they'd let it in or something. I've never seen anyone let their dog bark continuously for this long. And I live in a city, where houses are like and arms span close to each other. So I'm sure I'm not the only aggravated person either!!! AHHHHHHHH :smpullhair:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Ok I understand dogs bark time to time. But this one particular dog, VERY near my house has been barking outside now for the past 2 HOURS!!! Since 3pm, it is now 5.

Non...stop. I can't even take Nelson outside because then he starts barking at the dog. I can't open the windows because then it's even louder and Nelson starts to bark. I have all the windows closed and I can still hear the dog barking. It is I think coming from a house behind my house, but like 3 houses down. That far away, and it is really getting on my LAST nerve.

What to do??? I mean when I have Nelson outside and he starts barking like a crazy man I bring him inside. This is ridiculous. I think these people just got a dog too. Because I saw them in our alley (behind our houses) with a chocolate lab the other day. So what the heck, they get a brand new dog and just chain it up outside or something leaving it to bark for hours on end?? I have no idea if they are home or went out or what. I try not to let barking dogs bother me, but after 2 hours of non stop barking it gets a little annoying. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I mean and I don't really know what to do, I even went outside and yelled shut up, thinking if they were there they'd let it in or something. I've never seen anyone let their dog bark continuously for this long. And I live in a city, where houses are like and arms span close to each other. So I'm sure I'm not the only aggravated person either!!! AHHHHHHHH :smpullhair:
I have two behind my house, one is a Beagle and howls. As of late, they have been better because they are not leaving them outside to bark. In warmer weather with windows open, we couldn't sleep. Rocky has learned not to bark with them because I correct him every single time, by saying, "No bark." I understand you're frustration. Here, there is no laws controlling that. People still walk with unleashed dogs when there is a leash law. No consideration for other people, that's what it is.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
We also have a small dog in our complex that barks non-stop. Thankfully Jack & Jill have become desensitized to it, but still! I don't complain though - I just hope people don't mistake his barking for Jack & Jill!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yikes. I can totally imagine your frustration. There's a GSD that lives diagonally from our place and he barks at EVERYTHING. It's really obnoxious (and a little scary when we get over to that corner of the yard!). I might consider walking over and trying to talk to the owners if I were you. It's common courtesy..you'd think they would understand. Maybe they don't realize how loud he is or how much his 'voice' carries throughout the neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
We also have a small dog in our complex that barks non-stop. Thankfully Jack & Jill have become desensitized to it, but still! I don't complain though - I just hope people don't mistake his barking for Jack & Jill!
I know exactly what you mean. There is a small dog that lives
near us and it barks all day long. I also worry that people will
think it's my guys. Even when my lab is outside and he barks,
I go out and correct him and bring him in if he doesn't stop.

I'm sorry that you have to hear that dog bark... but I'm even
sorrier that the owners care so little for the dog that they would
let it bark for two hours straight instead of going to tend to it.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Did you try ringing their bell and nicely talking to them?
Maybe they will do something about it. I hope it gets resolved, I know it's annoying.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
If the owners are at work during the day while the dog is barking, the owners are probably not aware that this is happening. Please talk to them and try to come up with a solution.

Many of you know all of the challenges I've experienced with Lacie barking. When Jerry, DH, was at home during the day, this didn't happen. But after he became ill and had to remain in Phoenix, Lacie had a "nervous breakdown" and began staying outdoors all day, barking her head off, while I was at the office. We have a doggie door so she can go in and out as she pleases.

Instead of discussing with me, my neighbors reported me to Animal Control. I was close to going to a court hearing about this, when I explained the situation with my DH to the animal control agent. He let me off the hook with a warning, but told me that I MUST get Lacie's barking under control.

I've worked diligently for a year to make certain that Lacie doesn't bark while I'm at work. I've also spoken with my neighbors to let them know that I don't know if she's barking when I'm at the office. They have responded positively and have let me know the handful of times that she had barked while I was gone.

A few weeks ago, my neighbor emailed me at work about something else and in my reply I asked if Lacie was being quite. He assured me that she was. Then the very next day, he called me at work to tell me that she'd been barking non-stop all day and even held the phone for me to listen to her.

When I got home, I completely understood why she was barking. He was outside (near the gate) washing his car and the neighbors across the street (in her line of vision from the gate) were working on their cars.

Lacie and I had another training session and she hasn't barked since.

All I'm saying is that if I don't know that there's a problem, then I can't take action to help correct it.

If I couldn't have gotten her barking under control by various training methods, I would have locked her in the house during the day and re-enforced her potty pad training.

I recognize that she is very annoying when she's outside barking, and I don't believe that my neighbors should have to experience this problem. But again, I don't know about it if I'm not told about it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well shortly after I posted that, the animal control came and took the dog away :eek:

So obviously someone else down the street was even more irritated than I was. I would have never called, but I guess they couldn't stand it any longer, as they are probably in closer proximity to the dog.
I watched them take it, it was the dog I thought it was.

I later walked back there to look, and it was obviously tied up on a very small porch off their house. And from what I saw it didn't look like there were any bowls back there at all, so I don't know if they took it because it maybe had no water, or just from complaints.

I have no idea if and when they came home. It was locked out there for who knows how long. How do you just tie a puppy (as in probably under 1 not like a tiny puppy) outside. Do you not think it will be barking? I wouldn't do that with ANY dog. I mean their yard isn't even fenced in or anything. Anyone could have stolen the dog even. I know they just got it recently and/or just moved in because I've only seen it one time before now.

I feel bad for the dog mostly. 1 that it has owners that don't care for it. and 2 because it's probably traumatized.
According to our animal control site, they have 10 days to go pick it up.

Hopefully they get it back and treat it differently is all I can say...sometimes people need to learn the hard way I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts