Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. There is an elderly woman living across the highway from me and she keeps letting her Maltese escape and cross the highway. I realize she's older and can't chase the dog across the highway, but she repeatedly lets it get out
My mom and I have frantically rescued this sweet dog four times in the last two months and we just don't know what to do. Who do we tell? My mom keeps suggesting we "keep" this poor baby, and of course that's tempting, but isn't that stealing? If we tell the authorities, we have no idea where the dog would really end up. We asked the lady if she could put the dog in the bathroom and close the door when she has to open her front door, and she said she doesn't like bending over to catch her everytime and its very hard to pick her up sometimes. I really don't know what to do here. This dog may be her only companion, but I worry its going to get killed crossing that road, and I wonder if its being taken care of properly at home. Anyone know what I should do?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Our neighbor kept doing the same thing. She had a Bichon that she got right after I got Bella. We told her over and over to put him on a leash. Friday he was hit by a car and died while my mother was holding him. Thankfully I wasn't home cause I would have been hysterical. But yes something must be done cause I would hate for her to go through what my neighbor went through.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
If they are crossing the highway, it's just a matter of time before they are hit by a car. As my father used to say, "All it takes is one trip across the road".

Do you have a leash law? You could report it and see if they will send someone to warn her that the next time the dog will be impounded and she'll have to pay a fine. It's sad, but some people wouldn't care about the life of the dog, but do care about their pocket book.

Can to convince her to install a gate by her front door? A lot of people have done that to make sure their dog doesn't get out when they open the door.

Horrible situation.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I say take the dog and then turn it over to a rescue group if you can't keep him/her. In my opinion she doesn't deserve to own the dog.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by mimi2@Sep 14 2005, 12:28 PM
I say take the dog and then turn it over to a rescue group if you can't keep him/her.  In my opinion she doesn't deserve to own the dog. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99604
[/QUOTE]

She can't take the dog. As she says, it's stealing and she could be prosecuted for a crime.

And rescue groups have a pretty extensive protocol for anyone turning their pet over to them to make sure the dog is legally theirs to place in a new home. They are just as careful about accepting a dog as they are about placing one. That's why it is never a good idea to adopt a dog or cat from a shelter to "save" it with the intention of turning it over to rescue. It doesn't work that way. The dog or cat might not be accepted, and you might end up with a dog you don't want or having to return it to the shelter.

Difficult situation to handle.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom+Sep 14 2005, 11:37 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mimi2
@Sep 14 2005, 12:28 PM
I say take the dog and then turn it over to a rescue group if you can't keep him/her.   In my opinion she doesn't deserve to own the dog.  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99604
She can't take the dog. As she says, it's stealing and she could be prosecuted for a crime.

And rescue groups have a pretty extensive protocol for anyone turning their pet over to them to make sure the dog is legally theirs to place in a new home. They are just as careful about accepting a dog as they are about placing one. That's why it is never a good idea to adopt a dog or cat from a shelter to "save" it with the intention of turning it over to rescue. It doesn't work that way. The dog or cat might not be accepted, and you might end up with a dog you don't want or having to return it to the shelter.

Difficult situation to handle.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99612
[/B][/QUOTE]

I know....it just makes me angry when people don't take care of their animals.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Could you maybe see if someone animal control or someone could come and talk to her about keeping her dog inside? Maybe they can scare her enought that she will listen.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Why not ask her if you can have the dog. What have you got to lose? Maybe she can't take care of her properly and doesn't know what to do with her now. She could always come over and see her if she wanted to.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by paris@Sep 14 2005, 01:51 PM
Why not ask her if you can have the dog.  What have you got to lose?  Maybe she can't take care of her properly and doesn't know what to do with her now.  She could always come over and see her if she wanted to.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99636
[/QUOTE]

She probably wouldn't want to endanger herself by crossing that highway!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I agree with contacting animal control. Or perhaps if you're feeling generous maybe buy her a user friendly baby-gate that she could use for the front door. Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom+Sep 14 2005, 03:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-paris
@Sep 14 2005, 01:51 PM
Why not ask her if you can have the dog.  What have you got to lose?  Maybe she can't take care of her properly and doesn't know what to do with her now.  She could always come over and see her if she wanted to.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99636
She probably wouldn't want to endanger herself by crossing that highway!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99644
[/B][/QUOTE]
I would ask her if you could have the dog? All she can do is say NO

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I would probably ask her if there is a way that I could help her set something up to retain the dog so it doesn't escape. Maybe she lets it out to go potty too, doesn't she have a fenced in back yard? I would say that perhaps if the lady is elderly the dog is a little too lively for her to control. Perhaps she might just say you can have him and she may be relieved to know that he will go to someone who can look after him and also perhaps let her see him from time to time. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good...I've at least got some ideas now, thanks everyone! I don't trust animal control in my town, its sad, but I just don't. Since she doesn't have a fenced in yard, I think I'll ask her if she would like a baby gate to keep the puppy from getting out like CandicePK suggested. My fear though, is that she just doesn't have the strength to put the dog on a leash and walk it outside to go potty, so she might just be opening the door all the time and purposely letting it run loose
I thought about asking her if I can have the dog, but honestly, I've just now acclimated to having two
I guess I could offer to walk her dog twice a day (on leash) and maybe if its a bathrooom issue that would solve it? This is a sticky situation, my first instinct is to kidnap that poor baby, but I know I can't do that. Maybe if I have a heart to heart with her we can come up with something, I know I can find a good home for the dog if she will let me.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Good luck...let us know what happens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.