Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother's wedding is on saturday. I've agonized over what to do with Phoebe. I will be gone from the house for what I guess could be up to 12 hours. Maybe some of you can offer comfort or suggestions.

My options were to leave her with a neice at another home (and there are smaller children in the family). I would have preferred her stay at my house alone, but since that wasnt an option I decided against it.

Second option was to see about a neighbor checking in on her but that would probably only be one time or twice in 12 hours and I dont want to leave her in the crate that long.

Third was to just give her run of the kitchen. Put extra pee pads down, food and water and spray anything she might chew with bitter apple and hope for the best. There are several problems with that scenario, one being her eating her poo and she might also get bored and make confetti out of her pee pads anyway. But, she would be in the comfort of her own home. The reason this wll not work with neighbor checking in is that she is older, and I just know she will not appreciate having to clean up the messes that I know are going to accumulate.

So, my last option was just this morning my co worker who lives 5 minutes away offered to take her. They have a small dachaund (sp) and we are going to test them out tonight to see if they get along. I am in a state of panic and almost want her to just have a confetti poo snack party so I can avoid this. I trust them, and I know they will take care of her but just being in a strange place and all that. you never know what can happen!

It might be good for Phoebe since she loves other dogs, and to get used to me being gone if I do ever have to leave her or anything... Trying to think of the positives!

Anyone think I am crazy? Of course not, you all are with me on this. How silly of me
What do you all think?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think the best option would be taking little Phoebe to your friends house for a play date!! We had to deal with leaving Sisse for 5 days and ended up with a professional "puppy sitter" at her house. Sisse had the time of her life playing with another Malt baby!! Personally I would feel better with Sisse being WITH someone instead of alone because as you know, anything can happen.....Phoebe will most likely really enjoy the experience!! And if she becomes friends with the Dac, she'll always have a playmate and you and your friend can trade off "babysitting"!! It's OK Mom, she'll be fine.......I know that feeling though, I would of opted to stay home from Chicago but Joe wouldn't hear of it because it was his son getting married!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
When my daughter got married last year I had to leave Lady for the first time in the four years I have had her. I worried about it for a year. What should have been such a happy event had my stomach in knots for months before!

Since she's diabetic and needs twice daily insulin shots, conventional boarding was out. A vet tech/pet sitter would have been an option, but I worried about emergencies (she also has seizures). I wanted to take her with me but the B&B we were staying in wouldn't allow pets.

I ended up leaving her with my vet. I practically threw up on the trip to drop her off, but it worked out just fine. Dr. Suzy was the on call vet that weekend, so I felt much better. She kept Lady in the treatment room and put up with my cell phone calls from various events! And when I was there at 7:15 Monday morning, 15 minutes before they opened, they let me in early!

And I actually enjoyed the wedding!

So you're not crazy and it will work out!

·
Registered
994 Posts
wow so im not alone in having a heart attack i have to leave maxi on may 26-28 to go to fly to utah to pick up my neice from boarding school this will be the first time ever i am leaving him since he is 10 weeks old the trip is to far for him to fly from new york and i asked the airline if i could buy him a sit and they said no
so leavng him in a case is not an option for me i won't do it anyway i promised my sister i would go with her but im stressing about it he will stay at my moms house i wish my mom would stay at my house but she said no and plus my 99 year old grandma is flying up for her birthday she will be at my moms
im going to be very sad and i hope he is ok
do you all think he will be ok

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I think it would be great if Phoebe can stay with your friend and be able to play with her dog.

Next month I'm going to San Diego for 8 days. I had the hardest time deciding what to do with Lexi. I didn't feel right asking her friend Ellie's parents to watch her for 8 days or asking my friend to watch her. I ended up deciding to have my dad and brothers watch her. I'm still really, really nervous about it. My dad works 3rd shift so Lexi will be home alone (with my parent's dog) at from 10PM until 7AM. This will be fine because she is used to being crated at night for those hours. My dad will then let her out when he gets home and feed her. He then goes to sleep until usually around 3/4PM. Again it should be fine. I will probably be setting up Lexi pen and crate in the downstairs bedroom. She is used to being in her pen from 8AM-5PM. What is making me nervous is that he sometimes sleeps later than that. I'm going to tape notes all over the house to remind him to let her out when he gets up and to play with her. My brothers might come over at lunch to let her out and come over at night to play with her. There is also a family friend that can come over and take care of her if need be.

Another thing that makes me nervous is sometimes my dad has to work a 12 hour shift and he doesn't find out until he gets to work. I guess if that happened my older brother can come over and let both dogs out before he goes to work.

My dad keeps telling me he is going to teach Lexi to ride the motorcycle when he is watching her. He is just kidding though (I hope
).

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Do you feel comfortable with a professional pet sitter ? One that perhaps someone you know could recommend? I have one that helps me out on the occasions when I can't get home during lunch or when I'm out of town. She comes about 4 or 5 times per day. I had her spend a bit of time with K & C to see how they did with her and they really seem to like her. I think the most important thing... whatever you end up deciding... is that you feel comfortable enough to be able to enjoy the wedding!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys... I am starting to feel better about it knowing others have 'been there'!
I never thought about a professional pet sitter! I should have because this would have been a good opportunity to get to know someone. That might be my option if the play date doesnt go well tonight.

Maxi's mom- I would feel comfortable if it were my mom taking care of her, so I think you are ok there. My mom is deceased
(but I guess if she wasnt she would be at the wedding too!
).

Kristi I think Lexi will be ok especially since she will be in her element! I just re-read that and remembered you dont live near home. So you are in the same boat
Thats why its so hard for me taking her somewhere. I'm thinking it might be less stressful just to let Phoebe babysit herself in a bigger room

I'm sure you're all right in that she will be ok and might just love it. I am thinking of having them bring her home to my house around 10 and just put her to bed. Then I worry about them having her in the car!

aaaahhhhhhh!

·
Registered
894 Posts
We found our professional puppy sitter through our Vet. They gave us 4 different ones (Joe laughs at me and said "this is the only one that passed the lie detector test and background/fingerprint check"). She charges $25.00 a day to sit at her house, do the grooming and all that jazz, and with Sisse developing the umbilical hernia she was attentive enough to catch that and take her right to the Vet....as I said, Sisse was looking for her playmate yesterday all day long!! She loved it there.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@May 4 2005, 12:56 PM
We found our professional puppy sitter through our Vet.  They gave us 4 different ones (Joe laughs at me and said "this is the only one that passed the lie detector test and background/fingerprint check"). 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59724
[/QUOTE]

Did they give you a DNA sample?
That sounds great! I am definately going to keep this in mind if\when I ever have to leave her behind again. I hope they have something like that around here.

I am also worried about the potty training thing since these folks have older dogs past that stage. I made the wife well aware that being out of her element Phoebe might have accidents... So if that happens will they live? She is actually doing great, and when I have taken her to someone elses house she has gone to her pad, and when I go downstairs to my office with her, I will put a pad there and she will use it.

I guess I wont know more until after tonight anyway.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am sure I will be criticized for this, but I have to tell you that I have left my puppy home alone for 12 hrs before on more than one occasion. I am a med student and for the first year, Miko lived with me only. I always left food/water out and he is indoor trained. I always walked him a lot before and after and he has plenty of chewies available and he also had the run of the apartment since he was little. He was always fine!! If it was going to be more than 12 hrs, I hired a pet sitter, who is a college student and I met her in a doggy park (she was pet sitting someone else's dog). SHe would stop by and for $15 walk and play with Miko for an hour.

Anyways, I am sure Phoebe will be fine!!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I know just what you are going through. I agree that having your friend take care of your baby at her house would be a good idea.
We are flying to our nieces wedding this summer and taking our little guy along, but my sister doesn't want him at the wedding reception, so my husband and I are going to take turns staying at the hotel with him during the day. The hotel is close to where the wedding is so it won't be so bad going back and forth. We are also taking our granddaughter, she is going to be a junior bridesmaid in the wedding party, so this is going to be a busy day

Good luck with what ever you choose to do and have fun at the wedding

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by okw@May 4 2005, 11:57 AM
I am sure I will be criticized for this, but I have to tell you that I have left my puppy home alone for 12 hrs before on more than one occasion.  I am a med student and for the first year, Miko lived with me only.  I always left food/water out and he is indoor trained.  I always walked him a lot before and after and he has plenty of chewies available and he also had the run of the apartment since he was little.  He was always fine!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59747
[/QUOTE]

You know your puppy best!! No one has the right to "criticize" you!! I really feel it is in the way they are raised, you know if your puppy can be alone for that length of time or not. I think if they are USE to being alone for long lengths of time there shouldn't be a problem. But if they are use to someone being there all the time you might want to consider a sitter......

·
Registered
132 Posts
it is a worry leaving our furbabies with others

i would go for the co worker with the mini dashund! i think your little one would have a ball with the other dog!

as long as you trust your co worker friend

good luk whatever u decide xx

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well everyone, the meeting went well and I think Phoebe is all set for her "play date" on Saturday!
Zoe (the dasch) is just like my Holli was, older and just not too interested, while Phoebe just was jumping all over her like, "mom can we KEEP her???"! I think it will be fine, and the parents just loved Phoebe and her energy, and they are really excited to have her for the day.

Oh, and JUST before they arrived, Phoebe had enough alone time to have a snack of you know what...
I told her she is not going to ever have company again if they smell this, so I frantically washed her mouth and brushed her teeth but
. You can dress em up...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@May 5 2005, 08:28 AM
Well everyone, the meeting went well and I think Phoebe is all set for her "play date" on Saturday! 
  Zoe (the dasch) is just like my Holli was, older and just not too interested, while Phoebe just was jumping all over her like, "mom can we KEEP her???"!    I think it will be fine, and the parents just loved Phoebe and her energy, and they are really excited to have her for the day.

Oh, and JUST before they arrived, Phoebe had enough alone time to have a snack of you know what... 
  I told her she is not going to ever have company again if they smell this, so I frantically washed her mouth and brushed her teeth but 
.  You can dress em up...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60099
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad this arrangement looks like it will turn out to be a good thing for this occasion, and possibly for other occasions as well!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm so happy that this has worked out well for you - in spite of Phoebe's um snacking preference :D

I really made a huge mistake when I got Chloe in that I've never left her alone. I work from home and when I'm gone my father-in-law's caregiver (he is sick and lives with us) takes care of her. I never had the opportunity to leave her on her own - so now I worry what will happen when our current living arrangement changes permanently - if you know what I mean.

Anyway I'm happy everything worked out for you and hope you have a great time at the wedding!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts