Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, ok, I graduated from college in May this year, but have not been looking for a "real job" all summer, because I was working at my parents' business so that they could have some well-deserved time off (the first time in about 8 years they actually had 7 days off in a row!). Also, this job was easy. MY hours, enjoyable work and I got to bring Codi with me everyday!

But the sad fact is, is that I'm growing up and should have my own place and should start my career (i guess... if i don't like it, i could always go back and just own the store, haha) so I decided to apply for a couple jobs online. Well, this was tuesday night, and now I have an interview first thing tomorrow! And I must admit, I'm totally nervous! I haven't had an interview in a couple months, and all the ones I did have, I was rejected! (Which turned out to be a good thing!) But eck! My hands are shaking as I type!

Well, I'm just kind of rambling...

Wish me luck! (I think, lol) it's so hard leaving what's comfortable

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
How exciting!! Good luck Elizabeth, you'll do great
That's why I like working for my parents too...not many other jobs would let me bring 2 hyper puff balls to work with me

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Good Luck! What helped me when I was interviewing is to read some of the sites about preparing for interviews. They even list some of the questions you might be asked and then list how you should answer them.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Good luck!
You will enjoy your independence too.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Oct 20 2005, 03:13 PM
Good Luck!  What helped me when I was interviewing is to read some of the sites about preparing for interviews.  They even list some of the questions you might be asked and then list how you should answer them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=111714
[/QUOTE]

this is great advice...good luck in your interview.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Good luck! What field is your degree in? When my daughter was interviewing for dental school her mentor suggested that she get dressed up just like she would be for the interview and have someone ask her questions. She worked on eye contact, not figgeting, etc. Also, someone told her that when you go into the office you should look around and spy something that you can make small talk about if the conversation lags a little.

I personally haven't had to go through interviews in about a million years. Don't get too stressed. Enjoy the process.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I wish you much luck, I also get very nervous during interviews!! I admire you for venturing out. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I recently went through 2 interviews and have 3 (and hopefully more) coming up. While my interviews are for a residency (post med school positions), I think as in any interview, you want to think of some possible questions and answers. Although for me I think there is also benefit in sounding natural and not too "practiced". Know your own cv and your own strength and weaknesses (I sometimes get asked about that). And just be confident to some degree -- although I know that I am not, I try to sound confident in myself and my abilities.

Good luck! I am sure that you will do great. It is hard to face the "real" world but it needs to be done

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all your wonderful suggestions! Tonight I will be researching about this company and definitely reviewing questions and answers! In interviews, I seem to talk too much and not say enough, so I have to be more concise. I must admiit I've had quite a few bad ones, so I'm crossing my fingers that this one is at least "enjoyable' haha!

I have a degree in Accounting with a minor in Spanish (useful in los angeles, haha). I will be testing for my CPA after I have at least a year experience. I tried to do summer school so that I could just take it right away by having all the credits, but boy did I need a break from school! HA HA

Now if I get the job, just have to convince them to let me bring Codi to work with me...

Well, off to "study"... Thanks again everyone!!!

And good luck to those who are interviewing also!!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Good luck!

Call me if you want my help. This is what I do! I help graduates get jobs by providing help in their resume and interview skills. I also help them research the industry. PM me if I can help you oka?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again everyone for the wonderful support and suggestions!!

The interview was kind of weird. I had applied online at Monster.com for a position, but turned out that that position had been filled. However, I ended up still interviewing with what turned out a staffing company (which I knew before I went, just didn't know that the original position had been filled). It was rather laid-back, but I did have to take a couple assessment tests, which I did all right on, although I would've preferred to do better (of course! LOL) Anyway, he's going to be looking for similar positions for me and let me know sometime next week! Cross fingers!

At the very least, I figure that this was a good exeperience, and if nothing works out, then ok, if it does, fabulous!

Well, I hope everyone has a great day!! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I also work for a family owned business. My parents own it, it's great!! I even have a degree I just choose to work for my parents. They let me bring Macy to work and my sister's daughter gets to come to work as well. Good Luck with your interviews.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was through Kimco Financial Solutions, which is based in California. I was thinking of trying through AppleOne ... but I never thought of finding a job this way. Anyone use a staffing agency beore? I'm not in a big rush to find a job, although I did find a house to rent which would be perfect so I would like to be able to afford that! (Then I'd have to get a girl to keep Codi company while I'm at work haha... or maybe a kitten) Anyway, I'm just rambling, like normal.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts