Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Puddles was neutered yesterday.
At age 10 months, we decided to go ahead and have it done. Hope I don't wait to late to have it done. I can't stand him running after the cat (which is fixed also). The vet said she thinks maybe a dog in my neighborhood is in heat and that's why has being a real pain.

He's real red in the dingy
area....lol The vet said they didn't cut there, just pushed them up. :eek: He's wearing a shield so he can't lick or bite them. Well, I think that's what she said. Since I'm new at this, I don't really know what the heck I am talking about.
I am taking him back today for a recheck. If she thinks he needs an antibiotic she will give me some today.

He has to wear the shield for 2 weeks.....pray for me...he hates it.

Any advice on this matter. And also today, he's again right behind the cat....sniff....sniff...... Yucks :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Jan 7 2005, 02:28 PM
At age 10 months, we decided to go ahead and have it done.  Hope I don't wait to late to have it done. I can't stand him running after the cat (which is fixed also). The vet said she thinks maybe a dog in my neighborhood is in heat and that's why has being a real pain.  

He's real red in the dingy 
  area....lol  The vet said they didn't cut there, just pushed them up.  :eek:  He's wearing a shield so he can't lick or bite them.  Well, I think that's what she said. Since I'm new at this, I don't really know what the heck I am talking about.  
I am taking him back today for a recheck. If she thinks he needs an antibiotic she will give me some today.

He has to wear the shield for 2 weeks.....pray for me...he hates it. 

Any advice on this matter.  And also today, he's again right behind the cat....sniff....sniff...... Yucks  :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28305
[/QUOTE]

First of all, congrats on getting him neutered.... you did the right thing!!

When you say he is wearing a "shield" do you mean an "E-Collar"... looks like a big saucer sort of that he wears around his neck? This is indeed uncomfortable. Ask your vet if they can provide you with a Bite Not collar. Catcher wore one for two weeks when he was neutered and it saved my sanity. I believe they used the cat-sized version on him. Here is a photo of him wearing it:
(I've posted this on here before but don't have time to go looking for it!
)

Bite Not Collar Web Site

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brink was red there for a day or so...but I don't know how "red" you mean, so it might be cause for alarm and might not. If he is going for a check-up, they should tell you.
Good luck!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sounds like he has a small hematoma in his scrotum (which is a blood clot) which will be absorbed, and is nothing to worry about...but i wouldnt be positive w/o a picture, so i would bring him in to check it out.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Jan 7 2005, 02:51 PM
sounds like he has a small hematoma in his scrotum (which is a blood clot) which will be absorbed, and is nothing to worry about...but i wouldnt be positive w/o a picture, so i would bring him in to check it out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28320
[/QUOTE]

WOW! What big "vet-like" terms!!!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Jan 7 2005, 02:28 PM
At age 10 months, we decided to go ahead and have it done.  Hope I don't wait to late to have it done. I can't stand him running after the cat (which is fixed also). The vet said she thinks maybe a dog in my neighborhood is in heat and that's why has being a real pain. 

Any advice on this matter.  And also today, he's again right behind the cat....sniff....sniff...... Yucks  :new_Eyecrazy:
[/QUOTE]

Brink sniffs/licks the cats' butts too...I think it is a dog thing...

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Jan 7 2005, 02:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Puddles Mom
@Jan 7 2005, 02:28 PM

Brink sniffs/licks the cats' butts too...I think it is a dog thing...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28322
[/B][/QUOTE]
so does parker...so dont count on the neuter to fix that.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Puddles had his recheck Friday. All was much better, thank the Lord. I was starting to feel guilty for having it done. He's still red but not as bad, turning a little purple now.

Yes he's wearing an E-Collar and is getting better with it. Sure would like to have one of those Bite Not collars.

Glad to hear someone else has a butt sniffing baby...hehehe I was wondering if Puddles thought he was a cat. lol

The vet also told me it would be a while before I noticed any difference in his behavior. Any ideal how long and what all she meant. I hated to ask so many questions cause she acted as if she was in a hurry and it was past closing time for them.

He is also not wanting to eat his dry food. Today I gave him a little can food. Knowing that he needs to eat, but don't want him to think hes gonna get it all the time.

Thanks for all and any info you guys can give me. Remember this is my 1st puppy.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Jan 8 2005, 12:34 PM
The vet also told me it would be a while before I noticed any difference in his behavior. Any ideal how long and what all she meant. I hated to ask so many questions cause she acted as if she was in a hurry and it was past closing time for them. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28429
[/QUOTE]

Although Brinkley really didn't have any bad"pre-neutering" behavior...I did start to see him settle down a bit about 6-8 weeks after his surgery. I guess it takes a while for the hormones to get out or whatever. (I am so technical...
-LadyM will have vet terms for all of this..he he...) Anyway, he has become a LITTLE more of a "lap" dog now. He has a little bit of an independent personality, with exception of following me from room to room. Used to, he would be in the same room, but not necessarily ON me...now he likes to sit in my lap more...or at least lay where he can touch me.

I am glad the Puddles got a good check up. If you don't like the cone, and you can keep an eye on him, you can try not wearing it. Brinkley didn't wear one, I just kept an eye on him. Sometimes he would lick "around" the area, but not mess with his stitches. He healed just fine.
If he starts to mess with it, you can put it back on again for awhile. Maybe he will get the idea that if he messes with the spot, he has to wear the durned cone, and it will stop it...who knows, I am just guessing on that.

Anyway...good luck and send him lots of love and kisses from me and Brinkley!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Jan 8 2005, 12:04 PM
Although Brinkley really didn't have any bad"pre-neutering" behavior...I did start to see him settle down a bit about 6-8 weeks after his surgery.  I guess it takes a while for the hormones to get out or whatever. (I am so technical...
-LadyM will have vet terms for all of this..he he...)<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28433
[/QUOTE]

I'll vouch for Tlunn! It took could a over a month or 2 to settle down. And Tlunn, I feel ya on being not so "technical!" hahah. I hope all is well for your baby. Sending XOXO's your way.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So glad everything is going well. I join the but sniffing group. Two of mine sniff cat and she's not to happy about it but has been very patient. It's so funny because she's bigger than they are,(you'd think they'd be afraid)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts