Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! We have 2 Maltese babies- our 3 year old Santi, and our newest baby- 8 week old Quique. Our 3 year old is scheduled to get neutered next week, but I'm very nervous about it being too stressful on him. We just brought our new puppy home today, and Santi (our oldest) isn't taking well to him AT ALL. At first he completely ignored him, and now he will sniff him a little, but still wants absolutely nothing to do with him. And don't even get me started on the guilt trip look he gives me when he sees me holding and loving on the new puppy! It's just the first night, so I'm hoping things will get better. Santi is our first baby and is very spoiled (completely our fault!). I feel so guilty with how he's reacting to the new puppy, I just don't want to add anything else that might upset/depress him. Does neutering put added stress on them? Should we hold off another month or 2 until he's gotten use to his new playmate? Appreciate your advice!!

Registered
Hi there! Totally normal behavior on Santi's part! He will adapt in time--usually takes a few weeks. If it were me, I would definitely hold off on the neuter until he gets used to his new brother.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts