Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating whether to have my male malt neutered at 4.5 months. I didnt know if that was too early? I have a week of vacation coming up after 4th of July week and figured that would be a good time to have it done since I'll be home to help his recovery. He's already 6lbs and see his 'lipstick' every morning and he's beginning to hump a stuffed animal. It sounds like its time, huh?!

Jenn

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
it sounds like he has a good amount of weight on him to be neutered. typically i wait until they are at least 3 pounds and have their adult teeth in so i can have any remaining baby teeth pulled during the neuter.

fyi, girls hump and mark, too. and many continue after their spay/neuter. good luck with you sweet boy!

·
Registered
389 Posts
At 6 months the vet said Preston's teeth were too immature and waited another month so the adult teeth could come in. Don't want ton put them under twice!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I had my male neutered at about 4 months, and it was perfect for us.

Just as a warning, though, his "lipstick" & humping will not disappear with neutering. He is humping to show dominance over his toy (or whatever he's humping), it is most likely not a sexual behavior at this age. They can still get excited and show their "lipstick" as well...my male has only shown his twice, both times it was because he was really excited to see me come home. LOL

Just interrupt the humping behavior either by removing the object he is humping, or interrupt him with an "eh eh" sound and redirect his attention to something else. You can train it out of him easily at this age. :)

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Ours was done at around 8-9 months. He needed a lot of baby teeth extracted too that were crowding the adult teeth growing in. Since they have to put them under with anesthesia for both procedures I was happy I waited and could only put him under once.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Ours was done at around 8-9 months. He needed a lot of baby teeth extracted too that were crowding the adult teeth growing in. Since they have to put them under with anesthesia for both procedures I was happy I waited and could only put him under once.
I agree with Susan. Maybe you should check with your vet, Ava had to have 10 baby teeth pulled.....you don't want to put them "under" too many times....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I feel like the earlier the better with males. If they are neutered early enough, they may never lift their leg to pee, hump or exhibit other male behaviors. I know some people aren't bothered by these (and yes I know some females do this too) but I personally can't stand "male" behaviors so if I ever get another male (which is doubtful), he would be neutered very early. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I've kept intact males and with proper training have not had undesirable "male" behaviors. I'm not sure I believe early neutering is the end all and be all answer for undesirable behaviors.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I have a vet, very familiar with small animals, so age has not been that much of a concern for me, nor has weight. My concern is the worry, which is always there, no matter the weight or age. Not to mention the cost of a second procedure within a few months.

My Samantha had like 13 baby teeth removed during spay. Most were just "picked" out, but several seemed to be stuck between the adult teeth, and gums.
This must be taken care of. So I would wait, and save the second trip, money, and worry.

As a side note, most of mine have humped on occasion. Some more than others. All spayed/neutered.

Another side note, I take my healthy males in for neuter on a Friday, and keep a close eye on them over the weekend. With females, I take an extra day off. They do amazingly well. I wouldn't worry about waiting. I don't believe it's necessary to take a week off.

Oh, and LBB was neutered at 5-months of age. Yep, he lifts his leg, along with many shelter males, I've fostered, who were neutered by 4-months. I do not believe early neuter has much to do with that either.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Good Question. I just think that animals need their growth hormones for a reason. To help with development of bones and muscles. The girls need their hormones too. For all us women out there that has gone through menopause think about doing it at a much younger age. The only reason males need to be neutered is for aggression.
There is so much controversy out there on what is the best thing to do. In the larger breeds they are finding a lot of bone problems because of the early neuter. With my giant standard poodle, she had urine leakage from not having estrogen. JMO

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Actually there is a health benefit to neutering males before they hit middle age. Prostate problems start to emerge around age 6/7. Prostatitis, prostate cancer, and benign cysts can all occur. Testicular cancer as well. Even benign cysts can burst into the abdomen killing the dog. So unless you are keeping a male for breeding, I would neuter it before middle age.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Good Question. I just think that animals need their growth hormones for a reason. To help with development of bones and muscles. The girls need their hormones too. For all us women out there that has gone through menopause think about doing it at a much younger age. The only reason males need to be neutered is for aggression.
There is so much controversy out there on what is the best thing to do. In the larger breeds they are finding a lot of bone problems because of the early neuter. With my giant standard poodle, she had urine leakage from not having estrogen. JMO
I agree with Tina. I would add to aggression, running away. My sister did not intend to neuter her dog but ended up doing it anyway because of the running away.
Don't take for granted that the lifting, marking and humping will go away with neutering. You will be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
My mother's 16 year old miniature poodle is dying of perianal and prostate cancer. It hasn't metastasized yet. He was neutered at 6 months old. He is also a "very" large toy poodle.
I have a tendency to believe the veterinarians that are learning and living what is going on in reproductive medicine. They do know what is going on. When you search this topic there is so much controversy as to what is politically correct.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts