Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am deciding which place to get our male maltese neutered.
the first we found through the humane society about neutering:
Humane Society of Broward County - Low Cost Spay/Neuter

they sent us the information for the pet hospital that would be doing the surgery. i called to asked them about it and this is the breakdown they gave me.

$50 surgery (covers surgery, anesthetic, suture removal, overnight stay if required)
additional charges:
$51 preop bloodwork
$24 pain med injection

i forgot to mention that he will also be having a couple baby teeth extracted that did not fall out:

$19/per tooth

total = $162.70

the other place that i have always taken him too gave me the following breakdown in costs:

neuter from second place:
$240 (an additional $75 for laser surgery)
- includes Preop bloodwork, EKG, antibotics, i think they also said painmeds too.

teeth extraction:
$15/tooth.

total: $270-$345

since this is our first dog and first neuter scheduled for next week i need some help on things i should ask/know prior to handing our maltese over for his neuter?
i know everyone says the preop bloodwork is a must. shoud the blookwork be done a couple days prior to surgery or can it be done same day? are there specific meds that he should have and or avoid. is the laser surgery better/best for our maltese? is the second hospital overpriced? what are other people paying for neutering?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It's about $400-600 where I live.
There are some pinned topics on anesthesia and such that you can read through. When a place seems really cheap, I always wonder what drugs they are using.
If the hospital has in-house lab equipment it can be done the same day.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Like JMM said, the blood work is usually done the same day. If you can get the laser surgery, I would go with that as the recovery time is much faster. For a male, the surgery is not as costly. I paid over $400 for a spay using a laser but this included having 3 teeth removed, the pre op blood panel, and medication to give after going home. I would find a good vet that you trust to do the surgery. (Just my opinion)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's about $400-600 where I live.
There are some pinned topics on anesthesia and such that you can read through. When a place seems really cheap, I always wonder what drugs they are using.
If the hospital has in-house lab equipment it can be done the same day.
what about the laser surgery vs regular? is it worth the extra $75 for laser surgery?

what drugs should i be avoiding?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The laser decreases swelling, bleeding, and inflammation. It is nice, but it is not a necessity.
There is a pinned thread on anesthesia that you can read.
I use Propofol for induction and then Iso gas for maintenance. Buprenex for pain meds (and pre-med if needed). Propofol is on backorder right now.
You really need to talk to your vet about your individual dog and what is appropriate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
we have always taken him to the vet above that is more expensive, and have had very good experience, and i know its not all about money, but we are just trying to figure out if it really did cost that much or if they were raking in several extra $$$ to do the same thing at our expense. we want to choose the best place and best procedure for our Maltese.

what is the general recovery time for laser surgery vs the regular (old school) neutering method?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
we have always taken him to the vet above that is more expensive, and have had very good experience, and i know its not all about money, but we are just trying to figure out if it really did cost that much or if they were raking in several extra $$$ to do the same thing at our expense. we want to choose the best place and best procedure for out Maltese.

what is the general recovery time for laser surgery vs the regular (old school) neutering method?
If you trust the vet that little that you think they are raking in extra money at your expense, as you say, then I would find a vet that you trust. Second guessing the vet and his/her expenses IMHO does not make for a long-term trusting relationship.

I have chosen the laser surgery for all of my Malts. They do seem to have less pain and discomfort but the stitches have to stay in 4 days longer than with traditional surgery. Those 4 days seemed like a lifetime to me when I had to try to keep Claire from playing with Kallie and Catcher.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Questions about post op care after neutering.

I saw this thread and thought I'd post my questions here.

Kirby is getting neutered on Tues., Aug 26th. The Vet has all the needed equipment to run the blood work there to check everything prior to surgery. He is getting dropped off at 7:30 am and will be there until 4pm.

My main concern with him is his normal level of activity is very high. I had asked about pain meds when I made the appointment and she said the Dr. doesn't usually send home pain meds but I will be able to ask her Monday. What I am wondering is, is there something that can just calm him down for a few days. I'd even try sleepy time tea if that worked for puppys, valerian root, melatonin....I'm all in favor of natural products. However, I would really like to have maybe a very low dose sedative for him so that he doesn't get into the usual night time zoooomies.

Any suggestions, anyone?????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts