Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
The vet should instruct you to not feed Dolce any later than 8pm the night before, and no food the morning of (water is okay).

He should have bloodwork done on the day of the surgery unless he's had it done in the last 6 months or so. The surgery itself is very quick and a little less invasive than spaying (if his testicles have descended).

After his neuter, he will be very groggy and probably won't want to move around much. I usually baby them the first evening and into the next day by carrying them around everywhere so they don't have to walk. The vet will give you instructions on how much to feed Dolce and when you can try introducing food to him. Usually they are a bit constipated the first day or two from the anesthesia and may not have a bowel movement. Sometimes it is painful for them to go when they finally do, so be aware of that in case you hear him whine a little when he does finally poop.

All vets are different as to what type of pain medication they give for spaying/neutering -- my vet gives an injection that lasts 72 hours...other vets give a series of pain pills that you need to give him. He won't be allowed to run, jump, or play rough for 10-14 days (and probably won't feel like it for a few days). He can't have a bath during that period, so make sure you get some hypoallergenic baby wipes to have on hand to help clean him up a bit. :)

All in all, it is an easy process and in no time they are back to normal. The worst part in my experience is not being able to bathe them! lol They usually don't bother their incision site, but if they do, they may need to wear an E-collar or a baby onesie (although the onesie you have to take off everytime he needs to potty). I hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

I'm getting Buckeye neutered on Monday and wanted to see how thing went for Dolce. Would love to hear of your/his experience.

Thanks!
he didnt get neutered ! i will be gettig him neutered soon though, i would love to hear your experience , and here is to hoping everything goes ok !!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
he didnt get neutered ! i will be gettig him neutered soon though, i would love to hear your experience , and here is to hoping everything goes ok !!!
Thanks so much, I will definitely keep you posted. I'm just a little nervous snice I've never been through this before. Don't know how long the recovery time is, should I stay home with (he's home alone during the day). Would be different if it was scheduled for a Friday but it's on a Monday. I'm dropping him off at the vet in the morning and then picking him up after work so I'll be with him the rest of that day but wonder about the next. I'm sure the vet will answer my questions...*Heavy sigh*.

I was advised to give him Arnica just prior to the surgery and advise the vet to give it to him again right after. This will help his recovery...

Will be in touch.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
curious...is there a way to receive email notification when someone replies to a post of yours?
i cant answer ur questions but im pretty sure when we bump this up you will get more answers , and about getting email notifications , i think u can set that up in your user CP ( up on top in between chat and new posts ) ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts