Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made an appointment to have Gigolo neutered next week. He is now 6 mos old. I want to do this for several reasons: overall health, marking etc. A friend of mine suggested that if I get him neutered before he starts lifting his leg, he will never lift his leg??!!?? I do know that if I wait until his adrenal glands as well as his testosterone to kick in the more likely he will start marking, humping etc. I didn't neuter my previous maltese until he was 2 yrs old because I thought that I would be breeding him and yes of course he lifted his leg (not to mention marking and humping)by that time so I don't have any other experience to guide me. Any advice on this....by the way, I really don't care if he lifts his leg or not but my "significant other" would prefer it!
Thanks!
Gigolo's Mom (and always Geronimo's Mom too!)

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Sorry, I can't help you with this. I have never had a male dog.

Just wanted to say welcome and that I would love to see some pictures of your dogs.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i've never had a male maltese, but i do have a male gruffi!
(the black dog in my pic)

we got gruffi neutered at 5 months.

**lifting of the leg is a learned behavior! so as long as he never ever sees a man or a male dog lift his leg :lol: then your little boy will never lift his leg. BUT, i think gruffi might've started doing it because he was peeing on his chest.

**humping can be a dominance issue. i never let gruffi hump anything! he tried with ellie and he got a really bad lecture from me and a correction. he never tried since

definitely get him neutered because of health reasons (like you said) and also because you dont want him to hump for sexual reasons.

i hope this helps. cathy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 7 2004, 01:38 PM
Sorry, I can't help you with this.  I have never had a male dog.

Just wanted to say welcome and that I would love to see some pictures of your dogs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8505
[/QUOTE]

I posted 3 pics but only see one on my post..also checked the photo albums and it isn't there..Not sure waht I did incorrectly (if anything!?)
Gigolo's Mom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Nichole@Sep 7 2004, 02:09 PM
I have a neutered, male Beagle, who is 2 yrs old and he does not lift his leg.  My brother has my beagle's litter mate and he does not lift his leg either.  They were both neutered at 6 months.  I am pretty sure, in general, that if you have them neutered before they start lifting that they won't ever lift.  I kinda like that fact that they don't lift their leg--it looks so unclassy! 

My Malt, Toby, who was neutered about 2 months ago, does a semi-leg lift.  What I actually think he is doing is lifting his paws out of the grass--I don't think he likes the feeling of the grass on his feet.  So I don't count that as a "real" leg lift.  :lol:

Now be prepared for him to possibly still hump.  Wally, the beagle, will hump people, ONLY WHEN THEY get him hyped up!  So again, I don't count that as "humping."  I mean, I warn the people to not pet him and rile him up, but if they choose not to listen...then so be it--you were warned.  Toby, likes to occasionally hump Wally's head. 
  Although he has not done it in well over a month...so maybe he has outgrown it. 

As for the "prefering" of lifting the leg, I can't help you there.  I know how to stop it--just push the leg down while they pee, so I guess you could just lift it up while he is going. 

Also, prior to having him neutered, be sure to ask your vet if both testicals have dropped.  I learned this lesson the hard way with the beagle.  Only one of his had dropped and I guess that makes for a more invasive surgery. Also, it is a sign of a genetic defect (for lack of a better term), however, it doesn't matter if you are going to have them neutered, but show dogs cannot have only one testicle.  I was unaware of this at the time when we purchased our beagle.  The breeder did not tell this to me and she let us take him knowing that this was a defect.  <_<  So, if I had not had him neutered, his chances of getting cancer would have went through the roof becasue the testicle is not where it was supposed to be! 
  So when we got Toby, I made my husband feel to see that both his had dropped--they had. 
  I guess if they don't drop by about 4 months, they are never going to.  So the beagle breeder, kept the one dog whose testicles dropped and sold off the "defective" dogs. 

I don't mean to keep rambling, but I guess this is something everyone should know...

Hope I helped. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8513
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice.....Well aware of the "humping' as I previously had a male maltese, Geronimo, who shall we say had many "girlfriends"..all of them stuffed animals and gave them equal time...which was fine with me as he never went after any humans. I know that Gigolo's testicals, tiny as they may be, have both descended!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
sorry, this isnt related to this topic but , hehe
ive always had female dogs since i was young, except having a male pug for about a year

anywayz i loved and love rubbing my female doggies tummy and im so used to just rubbing the entire belly
but when i went to my bf's house and started rubbing the male yorkie i just started rubbing the whole belly without thinking and found out that i was touching his penis!
:ph34r:

there wasnt much "tummy space" around the legs that i could rub..
i can rub jong-ee's tummy way until the end since she doesnt have any "obstacles"

sorry i just wanted to tell you guys.. :wacko:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I got Tuffy neutered between 5 & 6 months old and prior to that he never lifted his leg or marked. He would hump his toys or a pillow every once in a while but it wasn't a huge problem. Well, color me confused, but when we were recently staying at my grandmother's house Tuffy decided to make his way around the house marking everything and anything he could.
I was soooo shocked. He had NEVER marked before that day, even out on walks and when we had stayed at my grandmother's house previously. It was so bizarre for him to do it this time. All of the sudden I was like, did they get everything down there?
What I don't get is that besides when he was living at the breeders when he was a puppy, he's never been around other male dogs to learn the marking behavior. So in my case, Tuffy's male behavior actually got worse after he got neutered.. which is just messed up :wacko:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Mystify79@Sep 7 2004, 03:43 PM
I got Tuffy neutered between 5 & 6 months old and prior to that he never lifted his leg or marked.  He would hump his toys or a pillow every once in a while but it wasn't a huge problem.  Well, color me confused, but when we were recently staying at my grandmother's house Tuffy decided to make his way around the house marking everything and anything he could. 
  I was soooo shocked.  He had NEVER marked before that day, even out on walks and when we had stayed at my grandmother's house previously.  It was so bizarre for him to do it this time.  All of the sudden I was like, did they get everything down there? 
  What I don't get is that besides when he was living at the breeders when he was a puppy, he's never been around other male dogs to learn the marking behavior.  So in my case, Tuffy's male behavior actually got worse after he got neutered.. which is just messed up  :wacko:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8530
[/QUOTE]

Just to give you some perspective on males (human as well as animals). It isn't just the testicles that secrete male hormones. The adrenal glands in the brain do this as well!!. Therefore, even though you do neuter a male dog, that doesn't mean that they won't exhibit "marking or humping", especially if they secrete more hormones than normal.

My first Maltese, Geronimo, was examined by a behaviorist who advised me that the only way he would be less territorial would be do neuter him but that the dog was "raging with hormones" and it would only curb his desire, not totally inhibit them. At the same time that I was going through this, my Dad had been diagnosed with prostate cancer, way before the advances that they have today. At that time, I took him to Canada as the treatments were not approved by the FDA (subsequently they were). I learned that male hormones feed prostate cancer and therefore to hopefully stop the progression of the disease they had to inhibit the production of the hormones in both areas of the body. My Dad was on various therapies to inhibit the production of both testosterone and the secretion of the adrenal gland hormones. It worked, as he lived 8 years after being diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer that had already speread to the bones!

So as far as our little 4 legged babies are concerned, neutering only addresses part of the problem and I don't think that we're going to do any brain surgery on our little boys or give them unnecessary meds..so we have to live with their "wild animal nature"!
But thast's what "unconditional love" is all about!
Gigolo's Mom

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Sep 7 2004, 03:59 PM
Mystify79--

Does your grandma have a dog?  Maybe Tuffy smelled the dog and it was instinctual to start marking?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8532
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they've got two dogs, one a male. It's just so weird that he didn't do that the other two times we went up there.
I guess something snapped this time around.
Tuffy hasn't actually met my grandmother's dogs because they have some behavioral issues and are way aggressive so she had them boarded while we were there.

Gigolo's Mom - I guess Tuffy wants to be all man even without some parts :lol: I'm glad that he doesn't do that around our house though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts