Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question, due to a topic I posted in on MO. I stated that most dogs should be neutered. It prevents hormone based cancers, and aggression problems. I was just wondering where the fine people here stood.

I will always spay or neuter a dog because it's healthier, and who needs unwanted puppies-there's enough of them!

Now, how do you feel about this?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I neutered/spayed my inside cats b/c cats in heat DRIVE ME INSANE! (they were peeing in my air vents!
) I neutered Brinkley because I got educated on such issues after I got him...AND...I didn't want him marking. But, I do believe the education is VERY important. I didn't know anythingn about the health concerns of NOT doing it with my first dogs. We were young and ignorant I guess...the vet didn't say anything about spaying them...I hated to put them through all that when I could keep them isolated. Now, of couse I know better...but I wish someone had told me back then when they were puppies.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Airmid, it seems like a no-brainer to me..... What would be the "case" for not neutering... ?? The only reason I can think of is if the dog is a champion and is used as a sire... or is being shown, since they can't be neutered when shown.

But other than that, of course, they should be neutered, and early if possible. I had Catcher neutered at a little under 6 months. He is seven months' old now and he has never marked or even lifted his leg. He has never even humped anything or any one (not even Kallie). The humping will probably come as he gets older but he acts so much like a baby, still. (knock on wood!)

I think it has been not too many years ago that people did not know to neuter their males... Spaying has been commonplace for a long time but I think knowing to neuter is a bit more recent.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Boom got neutered even with the men in my house telling me not too. If he had been a girl though it would have been ok. Kinda like its the girls job not to get pregnant

Since then my hubby has decided it was a good idea.

I did it because Boom was starting to be a bit agressive and a bit dominant..
Neutering fixed that. He's not gonna be bred (tho I had people ask me to) and he's happier and healthier here.

I read the MO post, and personally there are a couple users on there that drive me nuts that posted in that forum.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i agree that they should be fixed...but im a vet student so of course i would say that

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If they are not going to be shown, health tested, and potentially bred, spay and neuter away.

Most responsible breeders spay bitches after their last litter (usually around age 6-7) because of the risk of pyometra, realizing they are missing a lot of the cancer prevention. In the very least, there will not be ovarian cancer.

Many older stud dogs are neutered because of prostate problems.

6 months, however, is not always the best age. There are studies in Rottweilers, where bone cancer is highly prevelant, that have found leaving the dog intact into adulthood and spaying/neutering later may be a good idea. For Maltese and most other breeds of dog, that is not an issue. Even where it is, the decision should not be made lightly or blanketed for all owners of the breed. Other cases where waiting may be indicated is female dogs with "tucked" vulvas. Letting them go through heat can help pop it out and decrease long-term problems and the need for surgery.

For the average pet person, 6 months is just right and better overall for everyone involved.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Dec 12 2004, 02:18 PM
If they are not going to be shown, health tested, and potentially bred, spay and neuter away.

Most responsible breeders spay bitches after their last litter (usually around age 6-7) because of the risk of pyometra, realizing they are missing a lot of the cancer prevention. In the very least, there will not be ovarian cancer.

Many older stud dogs are neutered because of prostate problems.

6 months, however, is not always the best age. There are studies in Rottweilers, where bone cancer is highly prevelant, that have found leaving the dog intact into adulthood and spaying/neutering later may be a good idea. For Maltese and most other breeds of dog, that is not an issue. Even where it is, the decision should not be made lightly or blanketed for all owners of the breed. Other cases where waiting may be indicated is female dogs with "tucked" vulvas. Letting them go through heat can help pop it out and decrease long-term problems and the need for surgery.

For the average pet person, 6 months is just right and better overall for everyone involved.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22301
[/QUOTE]
I have a rather stupid question...what is a "tucked vulva"? On the overall issue of whether or not to spay...just go to your local Human Society or SPCA and you'll see why it's a good reason.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I neutered Kodie... He stopped humping completely... and the marking is getting more controllable and i will hopefully have that LICKED too! I think you just have to because the marking thing is horrible... not to mention the possible health risks..

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Dec 12 2004, 02:18 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22301
[/QUOTE]

Hi, my vet had recommended around 6 months. I was so afraid that Catcher would start lifting his leg before he got neutered..... he uses potty pads in the house and leg lifting would get sort of messy!!

Actually, it couldn't have been done much sooner because after Catcher finished his regular shots I waited a couple weeks and then did the rabies and then waited a couple more weeks before neutering... so all that waiting ended up putting us at 24 weeks. I thought he was 6 months' old because I divided the 24 by 4 and got 6 (duh) but actually I was wrong because it put him less than 6 months if I counted months instead of weeks.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts