Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
21,119 Posts
I'm surprised the breeder didn't mention this to you. Surely she knew this when you purchased him. That seems odd to me that she didn't say anything about it.

Bless his heart.... Keep us posted when he goes in for the surgery so we can wish him well.......
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
21,119 Posts
Oh, try not to worry..... I hear that that condition is not that uncommon... just be sure you have an experienced vet and he uses the "good" anesthesia that LadyM and JMM recommend. I feel sure everything will be OK.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom+Jul 16 2005, 11:14 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Scoobydoo
@Jul 16 2005, 08:09 AM
I am just wondering how old your puppy is, if you have just purchased him I am thinking he may only be around the 12 weeks age. You still have another 12 weeks if this is the case for him to wait for his surgery. In that time maybe his testicles could still come down. It is not uncommon for them to come down later in some puppies and that may be the case with your puppy if he is still that young.
It is a common condition in toy breeds and can be hereditory so the breeder must have known of the possibility and should have told you of it. From what I have read though, normally you should wait till the puppy is at least 9 months old before neutering to make sure the testicles are not going to descend on their own, then if they haven't you should have them surgically removed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81902
He was 5 months old yesterday. The Vet. said that he could not feel them, so he is going to have to do a 3 inch long cut to find out if they are in the lower or upper abdominal cavity. If I had known about this problem I wouldn't have made the two hour trip to see him.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81913
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, bless your heart..... I really do hear of this happening a lot....

Have you talked with the breeder about this?
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by Bijousmom@Jul 16 2005, 05:33 PM
The partner of the breeder just called to ask how Bijou was doing with paper training.  I told her about the upcoming exploratory surgery and she thinks that I should wait until he is 8 months old to see if they will drop on their own.  She said that she had to wait to show a dog until he was older so he wouldn't be disqualified from future shows.  Maybe I should postpone the surgery until October.  Help

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=81954
[/QUOTE]
If you have a vet you can trust, I would discuss the pros and cons of waiting. If you have all the facts for both choices, then you should be equipped to make the best decision. Good luck!!!
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top