Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my friend has a 13 week Golden Retriever puppy and was doing some research online about whether or not to neuter. There was a huge debate, some saying that it is an unnecessary mutilation and others saying its a good prevention against various cancers.

My question is what to do with Codi. From what I can tell, most people seem to get their puppies neutered. Is this the best thing to do to prevent against cancers later on? What else should get done? What questions to ask the vet/what to look for from the vet? What age is a good time to do it?

I have two older dogs who have both been neutered and have both been to clinics where they do it for pretty cheap. They are much larger dogs, one being a Husky and the other a Rottweiler/Austrailian Shepherd mix. They were also neutered at minimum 10 years ago. I know someone else was asking whether or not to go through the vet or through a clinic... with the smaller dogs is there something else to worry about?

Also, I know most get bloodwork done. What will this show and will it help prevent against something later? Is there any good books anyone can recommend where I can learn all this from?

I'm confused, but want to do as much to make sure that everything is good with Codi.

Thanks for all your help with this! This is probably the best website/forum that I have ever been to and I really appreciate all the information I have learned and having everyone here as such a good resource! Thanks again!! :D

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I hope I can be of some help--all I can tell you is what I know.

Yes, there is a large debate over neutering and from what I know, most European countries are very much against it. However, here in the US, the consensus is to neuter/spay your pets. All I can tell you is that the various vets I have been to (some good and some awful) all seem to agree that neutering is the best route. I have had all my dogs spayed or neutered.

Spaying or neutering usually occurs before 6 months of age. By spaying or neutering, the vet removes those organs and hence prevents your dog from getting cancer of that area.

As for having a clinic do the neutering of Codi, my personal opinion is to find a good vet. For some reason, I just feel safer. I believe that many vet's offices are better equipped should something go wrong and sometimes you can even find a vet that specializes in small dogs or just dogs.

You can always ask your vet about the bloodwork. If I recall correctly, they did bloodwork a few weeks prior to neutering to check for abnormalities and so forth. It is all precautionary to make sure your little guy can withstand the anesthesia.

When looking for a vet, find someone who you feel comfortable with. Someone you can ask questions. Check what credentials they have. Watch how they interact with Codi. When they do an exam--are they thorough? (e.g. did they take the temperature, check eyes & ears, check heart, check joints, check teeth?)

I'm sure there are many more on here more qualified, but I think those are the basics. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think neutering is extremely important. I know its just not as popular in other cultures....but dogs are also eaten in some other countries too!! Just kidding. But its important I think not to contribute to pet overpopulation (which could easily happen if your pet is not "fixed"). It also helps greatly with behavior -- I think it reduces aggression, marking, humping, etc. And its important for anesthesia purposes to have bloodwork done prior to the procedure and to have a vet that you trust. Good luck!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by wizzyb@Sep 10 2005, 09:56 PM
Ok, my friend has a 13 week Golden Retriever puppy and was doing some research online about whether or not to neuter. There was a huge debate, some saying that it is an unnecessary mutilation and others saying its a good prevention against various cancers.

My question is what to do with Codi. From what I can tell, most people seem to get their puppies neutered. Is this the best thing to do to prevent against cancers later on? What else should get done? What questions to ask the vet/what to look for from the vet? What age is a good time to do it?

I have two older dogs who have both been neutered and have both been to clinics where they do it for pretty cheap. They are much larger dogs, one being a Husky and the other a Rottweiler/Austrailian Shepherd mix. They were also neutered at minimum 10 years ago. I know someone else was asking whether or not to go through the vet or through a clinic... with the smaller dogs is there something else to worry about?

Also, I know most get bloodwork done. What will this show and will it help prevent against something later? Is there any good books anyone can recommend where I can learn all this from?

I'm confused, but want to do as much to make sure that everything is good with Codi.

Thanks for all your help with this! This is probably the best website/forum that I have ever been to and I really appreciate all the information I have learned and having everyone here as such a good resource! Thanks again!!  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98399
[/QUOTE]

to be quite honest with you i am sorry i ever did it, my mother said that we never neutered frisbee our dog growing up and i should not have done this to maxi
but i did it and thats that , so many people over the last year have stopped me in stores and on the street and have asked me if maxi is neutered that they have a maltese they wanted to mate them i wish i could so i could have one of maxis babies it would have been so great but cant now

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
It is good prevention against cancer, marking, aggression and running. There are already too many unwanted animals in this world. I think we should leave the breeding to the professionals who know what their doing. JMO

I would take him to a vet you trust and have blood work done to rule out any problems he might have before putting him under.

Good luck, and I'm sure everything will turn out just fine!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by mimi2@Sep 11 2005, 10:28 AM
It is good prevention against cancer, marking, aggression and running.  There are already too many unwanted animals in this world.  I think we should leave the breeding to the professionals who know what their doing. JMO

I would take him to a vet you trust and have blood work done to rule out any problems he might have before putting him under.

Good luck, and I'm sure everything will turn out just fine! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98465
[/QUOTE]

Good answer. The aggression part can be really bad. My sister didnt want her maltese to get neutered and he constantly marked everything and had an uncontrollable behavior...like he had ADD or something. But she eventually nuetered him...THANK GOODNESS. He's back to his sweet old self. In my opinion, it's just the best for them when it comes to their personality and health. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Maxismom@Sep 11 2005, 07:29 AM
to be quite honest with you i am sorry i ever did it, my mother said that we never neutered frisbee our dog growing up and i should not have done this to maxi
but i did it and thats that , so many people over the last year have stopped me in stores and on the street and have asked me if maxi is neutered that they have a maltese  they wanted to mate them i wish i could so i could have one of maxis babies it would have been so great but cant now
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98453
[/QUOTE]

I have also been stopped numerous times by people wanting to breed Miko cause he is just "sooo cute". Unfortunately, many people just don't know any better, but being on this forum, we do!! Miko has wavy hair and luxating patellas...but even if he didn't, I would never dream about breeding him -- he is just a pet. As mimi2 said - we should leave breeding to the professionals, who breed to show and improve the breed.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by okw@Sep 11 2005, 02:28 PM
I have also been stopped numerous times by people wanting to breed Miko cause he is just "sooo cute".  Unfortunately, many people just don't know any better, but being on this forum, we do!!  Miko has wavy hair and luxating patellas...but even if he didn't, I would never dream about breeding him -- he is just a pet.  As mimi2 said - we should leave breeding to the professionals, who breed to show and improve the breed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98495
[/QUOTE]

Well said!! When people see Kallie and Catcher they will get a gleam in their eyes and say, "oh, a boy and a girl... are you going to breed them?" And they seem disappointed when I say, "No". There are sooo many people out there who apparently are still uninformed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just had Duke neutered this past week. And though I felt sad that he would not sire and puppies, I agree that the breeding should be left to people who know what they are doing. You never know what is in the line of the other dog if it is someone you meet off the street. The main reason I had him neutered is because when I was growing up we had a poodle. His testicles never dropped so me parents didnt have him neutered. Whenever you opened the gate he would try to squeeze out. We would often get calls that the was in someones backyard trying to get to their female. I dont want Duke to try to hunt down ever female in heat in a 2 block area.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If i didnt neuter maxi which i did i would have kept all his puppys plus i would have had my vet take care of whom ever we selected, im well aware of the big bad back yard breeders , i was just saying that had i not i would have loved for maxi to have furbaby children
being that i have been on this site for a long time i would think people would know from reading previous posts of mine how i feel about my maxi and that i would no doubt keep his babies and furhermore wouldn't let maxi just make babies with any old dog
maxi is a beautiful furbaby and has no flaws !

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Yes, there is a large debate over neutering and from what I know, most European countries are very much against it[/B]
I don't know if they are against it, but they sure don't push for it. And still today I see it with my niece's dog. She has been bitten at least twice from their dog. Of course her husband is against neutering, you would think it's his b... that they are going to cut. I told her neutering would cut down on his agressivity. She asked their vet about it and she (it's a woman) agreed and said they can neuter now by injection instead of surgery. Well the darn dog is still not neutered. They have that weird thing in their heads that you are are taking their manhood or womanhood away. Our dachshund had multiple false pregnancies, the vet never told us that we can stop that by having her spayed. I can forgive him because this happened over 20 years ago. I thought they would have changed over the years, but apparently they have not.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for all the great information! I was definitely leaning toward neutering before but now I am convinced.

I guess the next question would be if anyone could recommend a good vet to take him to. I live in Southern California --- El Segundo. I've been taking him to the El Segundo Pet Hospital/Airport Kennel Inn, and have been satisfied but a little hesitant to take him there to get neutered. If anyone's in the area, your recommendations would be very much appreciated. :D

We also just started the PetCo Obedience Class, and from the very small video on the computer it looked like the trainer had either a Maltese or a Bichon. Again, it was a small video, and a small white dog ... but I'm going to ask her also for a recommendation.

Thanks again for everything!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by wizzyb@Sep 11 2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great information! I was definitely leaning toward neutering before but now I am convinced.

I guess the next question would be if anyone could recommend a good vet to take him to. I live in Southern California --- El Segundo. I've been taking him to the El Segundo Pet Hospital/Airport Kennel Inn, and have been satisfied but a little hesitant to take him there to get neutered. If anyone's in the area, your recommendations would be very much appreciated.  :D

We also just started the PetCo Obedience Class, and from the very small video on the computer it looked like the trainer had either a Maltese or a Bichon. Again, it was a small video, and a small white dog ... but I'm going to ask her also for a recommendation.

Thanks again for everything!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=98645
[/QUOTE]

I am sooo happy to read that you decided in favor of neutering. I didn't want to post anymore to avoid any negative comments I may make.

We lived in Sherman Oaks last year and I know of a few great vets there. I am not sure how far/close that is to you. If its close, let me know and I can give you the names.

You won't regret making the best decision for your pet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I live in Redondo Beach, Dukes vet is in Manhattan beach, its called south bay dog and cat hospital, Im very pleased. Duke was just neutered last thursday. They keep them overnight for observation which was hard because i missed him so much but am very happy for the care of Duke. One suggestion, He will have to wear a cone collar and Duke hated it so I went and got a doggie diaper to cover the stiches. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by clharter@Sep 12 2005, 09:59 PM
I live in Redondo Beach, Dukes vet is in Manhattan beach, its called south bay dog and cat hospital, Im very pleased. Duke was just neutered last thursday.  They keep them overnight for observation which was hard because i missed him so much but am very happy for the care of Duke.  One suggestion, He will have to wear a cone collar and Duke hated it so I went and got a doggie diaper to cover the stiches.  Hope this helps

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99024
[/QUOTE]

Unless someone is there with them overnight I would bring him home. Catcher was fine the evening of his neutering, which was laser, not sure if that is why. The vet sent him home with Buprenex(sp) for pain for two days.

Instead of a cone, get a BiteNot collar: Bite Not Web Site

1 - 16 of 16 Posts