Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Still working on my pics. I have had my girl 2 weeks now. I got her just petsmarts 8-1 whitning shampoo. She had bad tear stains when I got her but they are getting slowly better. I would like to know what you think is the best-shes 9weeks. I would like to grow her coat long. Do you guys trim there tummys and inner legs? if not how do you keep them white? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Your sweeties are just breath takeing!!!!
Thank you.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I use PetSilk products now but I'm going to try Bless the Beast next.

As for tearstains there isn't really much you can do until she stops teething (around 6 months of age). Just make sure there are no dyes in the food you give her. What are you feeding her? Also use ceremic or steel bowls. Bottled water sometimes helps. You can try to wash her face every day with a tearless shampoo. Also comb out any goobers.

To keep them white you can use a whitening shampoo every month or so. It is kind of drying so make sure you use a good moisturizing conditioner with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 15 2005, 03:54 PM
I use PetSilk products now but I'm going to try Bless the Beast next.

As for tearstains there isn't really much you can do until she stops teething (around 6 months of age).  Just make sure there are no dyes in the food you give her.  What are you feeding her?  Also use ceremic or steel bowls.  Bottled water sometimes helps.  You can try to wash her face every day with a tearless shampoo.  Also comb out any goobers.

To keep them white you can use a whitening shampoo every month or so.  It is kind of drying so make sure you use a good moisturizing conditioner with it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99975
[/QUOTE]
:D Thanks a lot! Looks like more shopping for the Lexie girl
Didnt think of useing conditioner.Makes sence.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
In order to grow the coat long you need to start off with good products. ie good shampoos, conditioners, detanglers. And start now grooming your baby every day because with a long coat you will have to groom every day. No exceptions! Also make sure you condition any areas that are prone to urine stains. You can also clean that area everyday just as you do the eyes. Some people put corn starch on those hairs to try to keep the stains down. This doesn't work great. I find that treating these areas almost like tear stains that you can keep them to a minimum. Also as the coat grows out you will have to find that happy medium for the peepee hairs. They have to be kept long enough so that the baby doesn't pee on herself. The urine flows down the hairs similar to a gutter down spout. But on the other hand if the hairs are too long then they can stick to the inner leg and stain the leg. So it is a happy medium that you will have to find. I sometimes trim Sassy underneath, but I have never "shelled her out." The shortest I have ever taken her underneath hair is about 3--4 inches.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am also very new at this and even though I thought I was doing a pretty good job after reading all your topics I realized I am not, as a matter of fact, I am being horrible. So could someone please post here Grooming 101? the MUST haves products and items... things you cannot live without...
and... if you feel like it... a grooming routine...
I am just worried because my babies are turning a little bit yellowish and not only that Chiqui (my boy) scratches all the time behing his ears and mouth... is that normal??
THANKS

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I just started using Chris Christensen products on Ruby Jean and I love them. I like them better than Petsilk and Bless the Beast! I had to trim Ruby's coat quite abit because of mats though-she is getting really grumpy about me brushing her legs and neck!!! I'm thinking I'm going to have to find a groomer now because she won't let me brush her anymore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 15 2005, 04:12 PM
The conditioner helps A LOT!!!  Bless the beast shampoos have a conditioner in them (at least I was told that).  You can get a 3 pack off of QVC.  I think most people use their detangler shampoo.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99986
[/QUOTE]
OAH,Thanks Lexi's mom from the Lexie's mom lol :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy@Sep 15 2005, 04:21 PM
In order to grow the coat long you need to start off with good products. ie good shampoos, conditioners, detanglers. And start now grooming your baby every day because with a long coat you will have to groom every day. No exceptions! Also make sure you condition any areas that are prone to urine stains. You can also clean that area everyday just as you do the eyes. Some people put corn starch on those hairs to try to keep the stains down. This doesn't work great. I find that treating these areas almost like tear stains that you can keep them to a minimum. Also as the coat grows out you will have to find that happy medium for the peepee hairs. They have to be kept long enough so that the baby doesn't pee on herself. The urine flows down the hairs similar to a gutter down spout. But on the other hand if the hairs are too long then they can stick to the inner leg and stain the leg. So it is a happy medium that you will have to find. I sometimes trim Sassy underneath, but I have never "shelled her out." The shortest I have ever taken her underneath hair is about 3--4 inches.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99989
[/QUOTE]
Thank you I bet thats whare I went wrong on her "gutter spout" I trimmed her to close I bet becouse it was matted when I got her. 3inches sounds good for her belly as she grows,Thanks sooo much! I have some good products on the way after readding these. Your baby Sassy is soooo cute!!

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Thank you I bet thats whare I went wrong on her "gutter spout" I trimmed her to close I bet becouse it was matted when I got her. 3inches sounds good for her belly as she grows,Thanks sooo much! I have some good products on the way after readding these. Your baby Sassy is soooo cute!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100024
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the nice compliment!
Sometimes Sassy will get a little tangle on her peepee hairs (from grooming herself). I use the leave-in spray detangler (currently using CC Ice on Ice) on my fingers and massage it into the tangle. Then I take my buttercomb and gently work the tangle out. I also keep a box of human baby wipes, no alcohol no fragrance handy. I use them to clean Sassy's eye's, her hiney, and her peepee hairs when I groom her. They are also great for cleaning her mouth after she eats.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Silvia@Sep 15 2005, 04:56 PM
I am also very new at this and even though I thought I was doing a pretty good job after reading all your topics I realized I am not, as a matter of fact, I am being horrible. So could someone please post here Grooming 101? the MUST haves products and items... things you cannot live without...
I am just worried because my babies are turning a little bit yellowish and not only that Chiqui (my boy) scratches all the time behing his ears and mouth... is that normal??
THANKS
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99997
[/QUOTE]

Here is a tutorial by JMM concerning grooming tools:Grooming Tools Pictorial

Most people on here use the Chris Christensen brushes and combs. It can be confusing which ones to buy. I sent them an email telling what type of coat, etc. and they responded with the info I needed to make a choice.

Chris Christensen Web Site

Regarding shampoos, conditioners, etc. the best ones are not available at places like PetsMart. Most of us on SM use Pet Silk, Bless the Beasts, Chris Christensen, etc.

No, it is not normal for them to scratch behind ears and mouth. It could be caused by shampoo that was not rinsed out or maybe it is a food allergy. What food do you feed him?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Sep 17 2005, 07:29 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Silvia
@Sep 15 2005, 04:56 PM
THANKS
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99997
Here is a tutorial by JMM concerning grooming tools:Grooming Tools Pictorial

Most people on here use the Chris Christensen brushes and combs. It can be confusing which ones to buy. I sent them an email telling what type of coat, etc. and they responded with the info I needed to make a choice.

Chris Christensen Web Site

Regarding shampoos, conditioners, etc. the best ones are not available at places like PetsMart. Most of us on SM use Pet Silk, Bless the Beasts, Chris Christensen, etc.

No, it is not normal for them to scratch behind ears and mouth. It could be caused by shampoo that was not rinsed out or maybe it is a food allergy. What food do you feed him?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100673
[/B][/QUOTE]

I went crazy a couple of days ago and I bought all the products from the CC line plus clippers. They didn't have their brushes though so I will order them later (next paycheck!!)
Anyway I tried the white on white, conditioner and the after bath rinse and I LOVE THEM!! What a difference! I love the small and how creamy they are. Unfortunately they still scratch. Do you think it is the food? I am feeding them Science diet. Maybe it is because I don't rinse enough??

I also cut Chiqui's hair myself!! I went pretty good but when I was just about to start his legs, my husband came home and he got so excited that I had to stop (because I was getting nervous I would cut him) so he has a half-puppy cut now.
I will finish him today and post some pictures!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts