Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so i have yet another question for all you experts! i have a beautiful little man coming home tomorrow
except today i found out he is not all that little!!!
i thought that he was only 3.5 months old, at the oldest 4 months. but get this! the breeder sent me the contract to sign today and it says he is 5 months old. should i be alarmed? i mean, he looks 5 months doesn't he? what do you think? i am afraid he won't be the puppy in the picture, that's really all i care about. i'm in desperate need of some opinions! thanks guys, i will post his pictures once i bring him home tomorrow!!!

does he look 5 months old?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
congrats on little puppy #2 coming home tomorrow! i was thinking about you today wondering if he was here yet.

seems a little funny that you only found out now he was 5 months. imo he looks older than 3, but then, i'm not the best judge.

hopefully you get the pup in the picture
i know when i was talking to a brazilian breeder a while back, they had their dogs tatooed or chipped or something so they gave you the puppy you "ordered". we were actually thisclose to getting this cuute baby boy but then we found lucy

anyways, sorry for veering ot.. hopefully someone can give you some advice.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. He looks like he could be anywhere from 3-5 months old. Who is the breeder? Have you checked to see if their name is on either of lists: USDA List Broker Lists

If their name is on the first list that means they are technically a puppy mill. If it is on the second they are a broker (they buy puppies from puppy mills and sell them).

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
If it were me I would pass, pass, pass!!! But that's just me. I know you are excited about getting a Malt but you will have him for 12+ years hopefully... Do you know anything about this breeder? Personally, I would never buy from PuppyFind... But this is just my opinion.... You have to do what feels right for you.

P.S. We have quite a few members of SM who bought from good breeders in the L.A. area.... "Elegant" is one...... I'm sure there are others.....

EDIT: Well, see me eat my words!! Scroll down to my next post!!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
im not an expert, but the littly baby in ur photo has a pretty long topknot hair so maybe he could really be 5 months old..

when my jongee was 3.5 months, she wasnt able to tie a topknot coz it wasnt that long yet, but i could tie it when she was about 5 months old

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for all your responses and please keep them coming!!! i'm sorry i should have mentioned that she is a reputable breeder from what i know. this is her website...

http://www.barbarellastarmaltese.com/

i have no doubts that she is sending me a healthy puppy. she is a very nice woman and she really cares about her babies. i think i was just caught off guard when i saw the birthdate.

in response to buying a puppy of puppyfind.com. while i agree there are many horrible breeders out there. i myself have had a first hand experience with a breeder that sold 20 of us puppies that had distemper, parvo, coccidia, giardia, the list is endless. we are filing a class suit against her as we speak. however my tessa is so healthy (knock on wood) and wonderful. i bought her from puppyfind.com and i am so happy i found her. the lady that the 5 month old is coming from never lists her puppies on puppyfind.com. this was her first time and maybe that is why there was a mistake on the birthdate. when i called she also told me she doesn't work with computers and someone else had posted them for her so it makes sense. but what i they posted the wrong picture like they did the birthdate!! aahhhhh!!! :eek:
i am so nervous!!! i guess i'll find out tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by ourprettytessa@Apr 19 2005, 05:13 PM
thank you for all your responses and please keep them coming!!! i'm sorry i should have mentioned that she is a reputable breeder from what i know. this is her website...

http://www.barbarellastarmaltese.com/

i have no doubts that she is sending me a healthy puppy. she is a very nice woman and she really cares about her babies. i think i was just caught off guard when i saw the birthdate.

in response to buying a puppy of puppyfind.com. while i agree there are many horrible breeders out there. i myself have had a first hand experience with a breeder that sold 20 of us puppies that had distemper, parvo, coccidia, giardia, the list is endless. we are filing a class suit against her as we speak. however my tessa is so healthy (knock on wood) and wonderful. i bought her from puppyfind.com and i am so happy i found her. the lady that the 5 month old is coming from never lists her puppies on puppyfind.com. this was her first time and maybe that is why there was a mistake on the birthdate. when i called she also told me she doesn't work with computers and someone else had posted them for her so it makes sense. but what i they posted the wrong picture like they did the birthdate!! aahhhhh!!! :eek: 

i am so nervous!!! i guess i'll find out tomorrow!!!   
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54246

i just went to ur breeder's webpage and her malts are gorgeous!
but then when i clicked on the puppies page, the photo of ur baby is there too!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Hey guess what.... !! My Catcher has Barbarellas in his line!!! His sire is CH. Barbarellas E-Z Doz It, although I did not buy him from the Barbarella's breeder. His great grandfather was CH Marcris Risque Business ROM a "famous" sire. So, maybe PuppyFinder isn't so bad!

Did she tell you who the sire and dam were of your baby?

EDIT: OMG!!! There are photos of Catcher's sire and grandsire on the site!! The very first photo is his grand-sire and the one on the 2nd row on the right is his sire!! Here is the link!! http://www.barbarellastarmaltese.com/malteseboys.html

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 19 2005, 03:25 PM
Hey guess what.... !! My Catcher has Barbarellas in his line!!!  His sire is CH. Barbarellas E-Z Doz, although he did not come from the Barbarella's breeder. His great grandfather was CH Marcris Risque Business ROM a "famous" sire.  So, maybe PuppyFinder isn't so bad! 

Did she tell you who the sire and dam were of your baby?

EDIT: OMG!!! There are photos of Catcher's sire and grandsire on the site!!  The very first photo is his grand-sire and the one on the 2nd row on the right is his sire!! Here is the link!! http://www.barbarellastarmaltese.com/malteseboys.html
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54251
[/QUOTE]

Wow, beautiful!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by mee+Apr 19 2005, 07:59 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Apr 19 2005, 05:25 PM

EDIT: OMG!!! There are photos of Catcher's sire and grandsire on the site!!  The very first photo is his grand-sire and the one on the 2nd row on the right is his sire!! Here is the link!! http://www.barbarellastarmaltese.com/malteseboys.html
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54251
wow, u must be so happy to see their photos!
they look very handsome

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54295
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes! That was really neat to see!! I can see the family resemblence in Catcher.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Those are beautiful malts!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
You might be surprised what other top breeders you can find on Puppyfind from time to time. In a discussion on another forum, it was explained that the internet is just a way of advertising. It is to get their name out there, and the interview process with the breeder who wrote that would proceed as if it came from another source. Also, I call your attention to the fact that this dog is being shipped. That is also done a lot more than some are aware of. When this came up before, I posted about top breeders shipping internationally. I know some are quick to say people are reputable because they ship, but some I consider very

As for the poster who mentioned the dogs from South America, be careful as there are some puppymills advertising and sending their pets into the states. There is also at least one broker in Florida working with one. I know people who are very unhappy with what they got--sarcoptic mange, etc.

Whether you buy from a breeder you admire thorugh showing or from someone raises pet dogs, you should do your homework!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey everyone, i talked to barbara, my breeder. she sounds like such a wonderful lady! i am not worried at all. she adores "peewee" that is his name for now, i might change it when he gets here. she assured me its the pup in the picture she is sending.

catcher's mom: here is the info:

sire: Barberella Jelly Bean

dam: Baskerville Delta

peewee has champion bloodlines!!! yay!!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
PEEWEE!!! HAHAHA SOOOO CUTE! How can you say that name in a firm town when they get in trouble!?!?!?
Peewee is totally beautiful.
GOOD LUCK!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by ourprettytessa@Apr 19 2005, 10:53 PM
hey everyone, i talked to barbara, my breeder. she sounds like such a wonderful lady! i am not worried at all. she adores "peewee" that is his name for now, i might change it when he gets here. she assured me its the pup in the picture she is sending.

catcher's mom: here is the info:

sire: Barberella Jelly Bean

dam: Baskerville Delta

peewee has champion bloodlines!!! yay!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54328
[/QUOTE]

Please let us know how things go.... I'm not familiar with the names of your baby's sire and dam....
But I know you're excited. Sending best wishes your way.....

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I looked at my photos of my kids and at 5 months, they look about the same as the puppy in the photo.

The only thing that concerns me is that the bottom of the page says ..
"Last update 9/13/04" so how did your puppy get up there? My guess is either this is not a photo of your puppy or the site update was not accurate.

Either way, I am sure you will be very happy and I can't wait to hear the news when you get back!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts