Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning, Spoiled Maltesers! It's soooo helpful to have found you (via Saveann)
I hope to eventually be sharing maltese furbaby pictures with you all!

So far, I have emailed the three breeders in NJ, I heard from one who cannot help at this time, and the other two, I'll have to call as they have not responded to my email. I emailed two others today and have two more to call as they don't have email addys listed on AMA's website. Below is the email I sent today. I revised it slightly to include how well-behaved my daughter is, as well as mentioning the size of the dog we would prefer. I'm concerned that some breeders may dismiss our request because of my daughter's age. I so hope not because they'd really need to meet her and us! I would NEVER consider a dog if I didn't think she and us were ready!
I'm hoping that breeders are just too busy loving their pups to bother with email!

I am open to your advice, experience and suggestions! I look forward to getting to know you all & your babies, too!
Deanne

*Email*
My name is Deanne and my family and I have been researching adding a Maltese to our family. Our family consists of me, my husband, our nearly six year old daughter, Shelby, and a few fish. We live in New Jersey, in our own home. As you are within three hours of our home, we hoped you could help us! My husband and I both grew up with dogs, and our daughter has dog experience through our families. Our daughter is a very well-behaved, mature six (in March) and understands the responsibility and care of a small dog. Through research, we truly believe the Maltese breed is the best breed for us.

While we are not averse to a puppy, we do feel that a dog that is a bit past puppy stage (six months or older) would best fit our family. I mostly worry about the playful nipping stage of a puppy, as well as the every few hours potty breaks! We are not in a hurry to acquire a Maltese; we just want to find the right dog and breeder for us. We have no preference as per neutered male/spayed female, though I've always had female dogs. We also don't mind a dog that is in the higher size limit of the standard, or even a bit larger. We would just like to add a sweet, healthy furbaby to our family!

We hope we could set up an appointment to visit you and your dogs and to discuss further our options and your opinions. Please let us know if you think you may be able to help us.

Thanks so much,
Deanne
*End Email*

I am going to cross post this in the Breeders section of the forum as well. I do hope that is okay!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Deanne3899@Jan 8 2005, 01:11 PM
Good Morning, Spoiled Maltesers! It's soooo helpful to have found you (via Saveann) 
I hope to eventually be sharing maltese furbaby pictures with you all!

So far, I have emailed the three breeders in NJ, I heard from one who cannot help at this time, and the other two, I'll have to call as they have not responded to my email. I emailed two others today and have two more to call as they don't have email addys listed on AMA's website. Below is the email I sent today. I revised it slightly to include how well-behaved my daughter is, as well as mentioning the size of the dog we would prefer. I'm concerned that some breeders may dismiss our request because of my daughter's age. I so hope not because they'd really need to meet her and us! I would NEVER consider a dog if I didn't think she and us were ready!
I'm hoping that breeders are just too busy loving their pups to bother with email!

I am open to your advice, experience and suggestions! I look forward to getting to know you all & your babies, too!
Deanne

*Email*
My name is Deanne and my family and I have been researching adding a Maltese to our family. Our family consists of me, my husband, our nearly six year old daughter, Shelby, and a few fish. We live in New Jersey, in our own home. As you are within three hours of our home, we hoped you could help us! My husband and I both grew up with dogs, and our daughter has dog experience through our families. Our daughter is a very well-behaved, mature six (in March) and understands the responsibility and care of a small dog. Through research, we truly believe the Maltese breed is the best breed for us.

While we are not averse to a puppy, we do feel that a dog that is a bit past puppy stage (six months or older) would best fit our family. I mostly worry about the playful nipping stage of a puppy, as well as the every few hours potty breaks! We are not in a hurry to acquire a Maltese; we just want to find the right dog and breeder for us. We have no preference as per neutered male/spayed female, though I've always had female dogs. We also don't mind a dog that is in the higher size limit of the standard, or even a bit larger. We would just like to add a sweet, healthy furbaby to our family!

We hope we could set up an appointment to visit you and your dogs and to discuss further our options and your opinions. Please let us know if you think you may be able to help us.

Thanks so much,
Deanne
*End Email*

I am going to cross post this in the Breeders section of the forum as well. I do hope that is okay!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28434
[/QUOTE]
Good luck on your search...where in NJ do you live? There are a few of us Jerseyans here! The three breeders listed on the AMA referral are all very reputable, but don't often have litters of pups. We had to wait some time for ours, and waiting lists are not at all uncommon. The NJ Federation of Dog Clubs also runs a breeder referral, so you may want to check there too. There is also a small animal rescue group out of Cherry Hill, I think it's called SOS.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Warm Welcomes to you! I hope you find the perfect one

·
Registered
7,840 Posts

Good luck with your search. It might be hard to find one in the age range that you are looking for. I got Brinkley at 16 weeks, and I think that he was over much of the annoying puppy stuff. We had some nipping issues, but that was cured easily enough. This is only my opinion, but I would say that if you are wanting to skip some of the "puppy" stage and having to acclimate one to children, then going a few months younger would still be ok. I have two children. They were four and almost seven when we got Brinkley. They had been around cats and our outside "big" dogs all their lives, but not really around small dogs. I would think the younger the dog is, the better when adjusting to children. I don't know that I am making sense..I know what I am TRYING to say...but can't find the words!
Something like, the more time the dog has with the child when the dog is younger-the better...?!?! I would think at 6 months, that if the dog had not been around children, there would be major adjustment/learning issues. Maybe not, but just a thought.
I think I am even confused with my reply:blink: !

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
good luck in ur searching adventure! i'm sure u will find the perfect baby. welcome to our SM family

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the welcomes!
We're in Sparta, NJ, waaaay up here in what the weather people call Northwest New Jersey!

We really aren't in a hurry for a pup, but I'd love to establish a relationship with a breeder, so I can feel like we are getting closer!

& tlunn, I DO understand what you are saying!!

Deanne

ETA: my avatar of my baby

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
The photo of your daughter is darling! Good luck in the search. As much fun as the puppies are, there is also some excitement doing research and talking to breeders. I think there are several posters here who have younger children. At least one of the breeders that I spoke with would not have placed a maltese in a home with children under 12. I'm sure that you'll find someone who bonds with you and can help you. You did good to provide lots of info up front. I also asked breeders that didn't have litters available to refer me to fellow breeders and that's how I found my breeder. These people all know each other from the dog shows, so they may suggest someone who you wouldn't find on an internet listing. The other thing that you could do is find some past dog shows in your area. Look at the results for Maltese and try cross referencing their names on the internet. That'll lead you to some other breeder pages. Here are a couple of dog show sites that you might try:

http://www.onofrio.com/
http://www.royjonesdogshows.com/

Welcome to SM.
Susan

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hi Deanne,

Welcome! I think you have a good letter going...I would add a brief statement on why you want a Maltese and what kind of lifestyle your puppy would enjoy in your home (for example, If I were making such a statement our would say something like: our furbabies are very loved and spoiled and we treat them like children. They have the run of a (puppyproofed) large house, sleep with us, we cook them fresh meals in addition to their human grade kibble, and our schedules are flexible so that one of us is usually home).

:excl: Also, since grooming and maintenance is a large part of Maltese parenting, you might want to comment on your plan for this.

These type of statements give a breeder a snapshot idea of what type of care and environment you would provide their puppy, and show that you are thinking about these issues.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Deanne3899@Jan 8 2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks so much for the welcomes!
We're in Sparta, NJ, waaaay up here in what the weather people call Northwest New Jersey!

We really aren't in a hurry for a pup, but I'd love to establish a relationship with a breeder, so I can feel like we are getting closer!

& tlunn, I DO understand what you are saying!!

Deanne

ETA: my avatar of my baby

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28459
[/QUOTE]
Your daughter is a living doll...btw, you have a great breeder by you...Castleford Maltese. They are in Waldwick. I think that they are listed on the AMA site. Just checked and they are on AMA and NJ Fed of Dog Clubs.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I think that is a great email. Some breeders will never sell to one with young children but I really hope they will bend the rules once they see how well behaved your daughter is which seems clear in your email. I don't think it will be that hard getting a puppy over 6 months. Many show breeders hold Maltese back for show and then later for some reason decide they are not right - usually they are 6 months or older at this time. My two boys were 8 months when I got them for this reason.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I know of an eight month old rescue here in Jersey that you might be interested in. E-mail me if your interested. You'd be amazed at the wonderful companions that people either don't want, don't take care of, or simply can't take care of anymore. Animals come from all situations but I believe that If even one of their lives can be changed for the better it makes a difference. Sorry for the speech

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OHMYGOSH!!!!

I have been talking to one of our members about a rescue, but decided I should also check in with some of the breeders I have been referred to and I THINK WE FOUND HER!!

Xena is seven years old and has just been retired from Castleford Maltese in Waldwick. I spoke to Claudia today and we are going to go visit them on Saturday. Xena sounds like a great match for our family, and I feel so great about working with a breeder who said all the "right breeder things" I've read about here on spoiledmaltese! Xena's mom is still there with them (their pet) and she is 14 years old, so we get to meet her, too. Xena has champion blood and is, obviously, a "standard" since Castleford bred her. Claudia called her Xena Warrior Princess because she's a big girl at 9-10 lbs. (we may give her SMALL cookies!
), but that sounds so great for us as our first Maltese.

I feel very sad inside about Rylie (the rescue)
but know there was at least one other interested party.

I'm just SOOOO excited! Did I mention I was excited??

Any tips on helping new old dogs adjust to a new home?
Deanne

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
GREAT! An older, larger Maltese will probably be the perfect dog for your family's first dog. Your daughter will learn and you won't have to be so careful about a little, fragile puppy. I'm so happy for you. Will you keep the name?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts