Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I brought home a little mixed girl from work the other morning. She was on her way to the pound if this woman didn't find a home for her.... She's with me now. She is skin and bone, pretty much hairless, especially after shaving all the mats off, has worms, eye infection, vaginal infection, gingivitis and loose teeth, ear infection with mites and yeast, and oh yes, not spayed. She is very skittish, but sweet natured, and I feel devoted to her already, poor thing. The vet I took her to told me I can't have her spayed for 3-5 months, to allow her to adjust and gain some weight. Oh boy--I haven't ever had a female before, what do I need to know about her being in heat? I feel so stupid, but I have only had neutered boy dogs. Will it affect my boys if she is in heat around them? Help!!
Quincymom

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww...poor little girl...what kinda mix is she? Could you tell?

As far as changing your boys' behavior, even if they are neutered...it can. My sister's chi went into heat and her male went nuts
her ALL THE TIME!!! Sis said that he MEANT it too! She called her vet and said that it IS possible for them to act in such a way, and that he might even succeed in penetration
-even though there would be no results.
I told her to lock him up!
Poor baby girl getting molested all the time...I felt bad for her.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh geez, just what I don't want-- two h***y boys. The vet said she may have recently had a heat, hard to tell, but that may be why she has the vag infection. So females go through heat cycles twice a year? Hope I get weight on her fast, want to get her spayed before the next cycle. The vet said she is probably chihuahua (spelling) and Maltese, she is gray with a white undercoat. She looks like a little mouse! I am already in love with the poor thing.
Quincymom

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Females usually come into heat early spring and fall, so hopefully she's had her heat cycle and you'll have time to fatten her up and get her spayed before her next cycle. You don't want to go through that with your boys. Even neutered males react to a female in heat, especially one in their own household. They can actually even mate with them, believe it or not.

I can't wait to see pictures of her! I love a good rescue story!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mostly I call her Mouse, but I have started calling her Lily--she is so sweet, and follows me everywhere. I keep telling myself as soon as she is spayed and fattened up I will find her a good home, but she is starting to trust me now, and is pretty good about potty training, and she looks at me with those sad bulging eyes...
Quincymom

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Quincymom@May 26 2005, 07:41 AM
Mostly I call her Mouse, but I have started calling her Lily--she is so sweet, and follows me everywhere. I keep telling myself as soon as she is spayed and fattened up I will find her a good home, but she is starting to trust me now, and is pretty good about potty training, and she looks at me with those sad bulging eyes...
Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65398
[/QUOTE]

So now you are the proud owner of 3, huh? I hate to say it but you sound like you lost the battle to those eyes. So CONGRATS!!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thank you for taking this little girl into your home and into your heart!! As I said to someone earlier today "your special" to rescue a baby like this......I am sure that while she is being "fattened up" she'll work her way into your heart and before you know it, she'll be with you forever!! Bless you...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Females usually come into heat early spring and fall, so hopefully she's had her heat cycle and you'll have time to fatten her up and get her spayed before her next cycle. You don't want to go through that with your boys. Even neutered males react to a female in heat, especially one in their own household. They can actually even mate with them, believe it or not.

There is nothing true to the spring/fall thing here with my dogs, nor my friend's who has been raising them for over ten years. Maltese come in season any month of the year they choose. This may be four, six, eight, nine, or even twelve months. I've had one girl who was in season October 2003, next season August 2004, and third season December 2004. One of my girls was in season March of 2004, and just had her next season two weeks ago. Julia, the mother of my new baby has a pattern of every eight months, except for the last one where she came in at seven. And, Julia's pup was born on day 55 from first breeding (done by artificial insemination).
Not only will a neutered male penetrate a female in season, but an unaltered male will penetrate a spayed female.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
My experience was with Setters, not Maltese. Most came into heat in March/early April. I know with horses, the heat cycles are triggered by the longer daylight hours. (That's how they will "trick" horses into coming into heat early so they can breed them by using artificial lighting in the barn. ) Sheep are the same way which is why we associate lambs with Easter.

I guess Maltese just march to a different drummer and don't follow Mother Nature's rules!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@May 26 2005, 03:09 PM
My experience was with Setters, not Maltese. Most came into heat in March/early April. I know with horses, the heat cycles are triggered by the longer daylight hours. (That's how they will "trick" horses into coming into heat early so they can breed them by using artificial lighting in the barn. )  Sheep are the same way which is why we associate lambs with Easter.

I guess Maltese just march to a different drummer and don't follow Mother Nature's rules!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65699
[/QUOTE]

I think the longer days would be the key with horses, but I had cattle for years, and it doesn't apply with them. They come in season every month. Since a good bit of our breeding was done through AI, we had to be very diligent as we had a short window in which to do the insemination.
We have these neat little strips we can use with our dogs so we can tell when they are ready for breeding. It turns from pink to purple when they are ready. I have read on another list that there is actually some type instrument that some are using, but I'm not high tech as I don't have that many to breed.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@May 26 2005, 04:09 PM
My experience was with Setters, not Maltese. Most came into heat in March/early April. I know with horses, the heat cycles are triggered by the longer daylight hours. (That's how they will "trick" horses into coming into heat early so they can breed them by using artificial lighting in the barn. )  Sheep are the same way which is why we associate lambs with Easter.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65699
[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's when my dad's Irish Setters went into season.

-c

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I may switch her to puppy food to fatten her up fast! I want her spayed pronto! I posted her picture to the gallery, under "My Babies, Lily" so you can see her. And she looks so much better now than when I brought her home with all this stinky matted fur. Should have taken a picture then if you really wanted to see pathetic. She was kept on a screen porch through the winter, poor little thing. I want to slap this woman, but she is a relative of a patient so I have to smile and be nice. Its killing me.
Quincymom

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Quincymom@May 26 2005, 04:35 PM
I think I may switch her to puppy food to fatten her up fast! I want her spayed pronto! I posted her picture to the gallery, under "My Babies, Lily" so you can see her. And she looks so much better now than when I brought her home with all this stinky matted fur. Should have taken a picture then if you really wanted to see pathetic.  She was kept on a screen porch through the winter, poor little thing. I want to slap this woman, but she is a relative of a patient so I have to smile and be nice. Its killing me.
Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65727
[/QUOTE]
Where is the pic? I don't see it in the gallery.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know where it is? I am trying to put it into my avatar, hope it shows up that way.
Quincymom
Tried to do the gallery pictures again--I don't know why it isn't showing up. Did get a picture of her in my Avatar to finally show.
Finally got her to show up! She is in the Gallery, under Quincymoms Kids.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts