Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
Any ideas on what this looks like? It’s on the side of Lacie’s paw.
It almost looks like a skin tag. I guess that’s possible
With COVID-19, it’s almost impossible to get an appointment. I’m on the wait list for Friday and I guess if I can’t get her in, we will go to the ER over the weekend, unless we determine it’s an emergency and I could take her later on.
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,394 Posts
How long has she had it?

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
Hard to see well, but it looks like acne or a possibly a skin tag. Any pus or blood. Is it sore, hard or soft? Does anything rub there, like a pillow?

Reactions: maddysmom

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to see well, but it looks like acne or a possibly a skin tag. Any pus or blood. Is it sore, hard or soft? Does anything rub there, like a pillow?
Its on the inner paw so hard to get a decent picture. i tried squeezing it and nothing exciting happened.
Its very soft. As far as sore, she has been chewing her feet, which is why I noticed it. Allergy medicine is not helping, so I’ve been doing foot soaks to give her some relief...my poor baby. She’s definitely uncomfortable.

·
Super Moderator
9,637 Posts
Sorry, I thought it was on her chin. It must be uncomfortable to walk on. It does not look infected. I am not sure what it is. Poor girl.

·
Premium Member
17,394 Posts
OK, Joanne, I am old so forgive my memory lapse---is Lacie the one who had the growths before?

Reactions: maddysmom

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, Joanne, I am old so forgive my memory lapse---is Lacie the one who had the growths before?
Omgosh...your so funny, Sandi!
Ling Ling was the one with that cancerous growth.
This looks very similar shape wise, like a cone, but Ling’s grew out like a hard horn, cone on the end, and bled when I scraped the tip off.
Lacie’s is soft. I was just looking at it and it’s definitely swollen around the nail bed closest to the growth but she is chewing at that foot.
The lil stinker is a pro pulling her cone off.
i just wonder if this can wait till the weekend 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I am not sure, Joanne--I would only take her to the ER vet if it is really distressing her. Otherwise, I think it can wait.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a baby who had a similar growth but it was in between the paw pads. He started limping one day so we found it after inspecting his paws. We took him to the vet and to be safe had it biopsied, it came back negative of cancer. We still went ahead and had it surgically removed as it seemed to be causing him pain when he put pressure on it. Thankfully the surgery went well and it never grew back.

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thankyou for sharing this. The more I google pictures, the more I think it’s a skin tag that can wait to be see, at least till the weekend.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Joanne, I have had LOTS of skin cancer (All different types including four different melanomas) and I go in every 6 months for complete body check and more cutting/removals. I'm not a dog, and don't know if dog growths are different than human, but from your picture & based on my "human" experience I too think you are fine waiting until there is an opening (non emergency). You are such a good concerned momma - Please keep us updated. Hugs ~ Paulann

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Joanne, I have had LOTS of skin cancer (All different types including four different melanomas) and I go in every 6 months for complete body check and more cutting/removals. I'm not a dog, and don't know if dog growths are different than human, but from your picture & based on my "human" experience I too think you are fine waiting until there is an opening (non emergency). You are such a good concerned momma - Please keep us updated. Hugs ~ Paulann
Thanks Paulann!
Thankyou for your thoughts. The more I look at it, the less I worry. I do have a sense of what different types of skin cancer look like. I actually took a class on line a very, very long time ago, so I could let my guest know if I see anything suspicious while doing their hair. Who sees someone scalp more than their hairstylist. I notice everything while I work.
In the last 10 years, I found It on 5 different people. The 5th was just this past March who went undiagnosed last year when Ifound it. I pushed for her to get a second opinion and sure enough, it was skin cancer and quite a big area needed to be removed on her scalp.
My very first guest I ever found it on was 15 years ago, in the month of July. She passed away in December from a very aggressive skin cancer. I was so devastated. I had pushed for her to get into the doctor ASAP but the office didnt take it serious when she told them that her hairdresser found something. By the time she was seen, it was too late.
Anyway, I fell off topic a bit. I think Lacie’s looks like a skin tag, especially after pulling out my oversized magnifying glass and my contractors floodlight to get a good look, lol. xx

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Joanne, Your clients are very fortunate to have you as their hairstylist. I'm sure they appreciate your observation and skill. Literally you can save their lives (If they listen to you). I am sorry for the one that passed away in December -that must have been devastating. Are you able to work now? Here in CA only a few counties are allowed to see clients and then it must be outside. This doesn't make sense to me as Cosmetologists are more well trained in disinfecting and disease than most other professions. So many are self employed and aren't eligible for any unemployment or government aid. Praying things will get back to normal soon - Whatever normal is????
Hugs!

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Joanne, Your clients are very fortunate to have you as their hairstylist. I'm sure they appreciate your observation and skill. Literally you can save their lives (If they listen to you). I am sorry for the one that passed away in December -that must have been devastating. Are you able to work now? Here in CA only a few counties are allowed to see clients and then it must be outside. This doesn't make sense to me as Cosmetologists are more well trained in disinfecting and disease than most other professions. So many are self employed and aren't eligible for any unemployment or government aid. Praying things will get back to normal soon - Whatever normal is????
Hugs!
Yes, you are correct. We have more training than most professions on infection control. That said, I opted to wait till the 2nd phase to reopen. It wasn’t worth the risk going back in phase 1, when work was like a hazard zone vs. the salon experience. We had to wear face shields, masks, gloves and change our clothes after each client. Phase 2 when I went back, we are required to wear smock but do not need to change it after each client. I also don’t have to wear gloves 24/7.
As far as income, I don’t know anyone that was self employed in my industry who could collect. It was very hard for a lot of people. Actually, Its very hard working in general now, and quite frankly, if I could stay home... I would.

i wanted to add a few better pictures if anyone has any more thoughts on these.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,394 Posts
That looks a bit like the "horn" growth our two had before?

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
That looks a bit like the "horn" growth our two had before?
I know! I was thinking the same but it’s not hard like Ling‘s was.
i found a picture of Ling Lings. Hers seem to have red vessels through out her growth, whereas Lacie’s doesn’t. Not sure if that even means anything, just something I did notice.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts