Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum...and new to a Maltese. I have a little baby boy named Mikey. He's 6 months old now. And he's absolutely wonderful. My question to any of you is...How often do most of you get your baby groomed? I had Mikey groomed a month ago and want to take him back in again to atleast get the hair around his eyes trimmed and between his toes. Does a month seem like too early to get it done again? Or just about right?
This forum seems like a great place for information. I'm glad I found it.

Mikey's mom

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Welcome! It depends on what you can afford. I know some people take their dogs to the groomers every 4-5 weeks. I can't afford that so I starting to take Lexi to the groomers every 6 months. Inbetween that I'm going to do the grooming myself. I use a little rounded tip cuticle scissors to keep the hair out of her eyes. I also have a clippers that I use to trim her hair.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I would love to groom him myself...I'm just nervous that I'd do a terrible job. The only thing I've done myself is clip his nails. But, I'm afraid to do his face. Where can I find those blunt ended scissors?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by MikeyandMe@Apr 11 2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the replies.  I would love to groom him myself...I'm just nervous that I'd do a terrible job.  The only thing I've done myself is clip his nails.  But, I'm afraid to do his face.  Where can I find those blunt ended scissors?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51337
[/QUOTE]

Just think of it this way. Its just hair. If you do a bad job, it will grow back. Plus at least you didn't pay for the bad hair cut.

Petsmart sells one. Millers Forge Grooming Shears It is the one on the far left in the picture.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is so true! I hadn't thought of it that way! :lol:
Everyone's Malties on here are so cute. I love your's wearing the glasses.
It's adorable.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I take K & C to the groomer once a month. They really don't need much in between. I do brush Catcher every day or so and change his top knot every two days in addition to cleaning around his mouth, etc. Kallie is in a short cut and doesn't need much.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by MikeyandMe@Apr 11 2005, 11:34 AM
That is so true!  I hadn't thought of it that way!  :lol:
Everyone's Malties on here are so cute.  I love your's wearing the glasses.
It's adorable.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51372
[/QUOTE]
Thanks!

You should have seen the haircut I gave Lexi about 2 weeks ago. It was so bad! I made her wear a coat or shirt when ever we left the apartment for the first couple of days. Oh, well. It looks fine now.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I take Baxter to the groomer every 4 weeks for a trim. I am gathering supplies so I can attempt this at home. I am just scared I will make a mess.
I haven't had a lot of luck with finding a groomer I am happy with so I am willing to give it a shot. That way I will know he is being taken care of!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Welcome!!! I groom Peanut myself...too many scary experiences at the groomers. I have to admit that the first time I cut his hair, it looked sooooo BAD! But now that I got the hang of it things are fine, and I feel better knowing that I'm in control
If his hair comes out bad there's no one to blame but myself

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
For those of your that are going to start doing the grooming yourself I would recommend doing it every 3-4 weeks at the beginning. This way your dog and you can get used to it. After a while you can start spacing them grooming sessions out more, but don't space them too far. I made this mistake and now Lexi is terrible. She used to stand patiently while I clipped but now she keeps sitting and moving around. I would say no more than 2 months apart if you are going to do it yourself. I waited 4 months and she was terrible. I have to start over now.

Oh, and it helps if you have treats on hand for the grooming session.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts