Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- January 28 I became a mommy to my precious little London! She was 4 days shy of 4 months old and now she will be 6 months on the first. She is 2.8 pounds as of 2 weeks ago and she feels a bit heavier now. I bathe her with tropiclean whitening about every 10 days but stumbled on a page where it said that’s too excessive. Do you think it’s too much? Also, she’s almost done teething (she has two baby top front teeth with her second row already coming in) was wondering when the canine teeth fall out?
6611E318-F021-475B-9DFB-CE0FB45C03A7.jpeg
6611E318-F021-475B-9DFB-CE0FB45C03A7.jpeg
30C6F849-9C03-4015-9CF4-9FB517D29290.png
7AC22B34-935F-4EE9-8042-7F29B4BDE6B0.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
So cute, congrats! I’ve always washed my girls every 7-9 days without any issues. I would use a little conditioner and just rinse really well, so there’s no buildup left behind and you should be fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So cute, congrats! I’ve always washed my girls every 7-9 days without any issues. I would use a little conditioner and just rinse really well, so there’s no buildup left behind and you should be fine.
Yours are adorable too! Best breed ever! How old are your and how big? They have a very cute face!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Aww, what a little angel! I think bathing even once a week is totally fine--that's what I do. Those last teeth should fall out in the next month or two. If they don't, they may have to be pulled.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From bottom step up in signature picture. Suki is 6 yrs, 3.9 lbs-4 lbs, Ling Ling is 5 yrs old, 6 lbs and Lacie on the top step is 8 years old, 9 lbs.
They’re gorgeous!! Did they always have a white face or do you clean their faces a lot? Mine has more than a lot of other Maltese that I see on this forum.

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
They’re gorgeous!! Did they always have a white face or do you clean their faces a lot? Mine has more than a lot of other Maltese that I see on this forum.
Their faces were like your fluffs at that age till over a year, once they were done teething, the staining cleared up. That said, Suki started tearing again with the onset of an autoimmune disease she got, which I believe was from the rabies shot.
As for cleaning since then, they are lucky they get a brushing, never mind washing their faces. I do brush their teeth at least 4-5 times per week.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Their faces were like your fluffs at that age till over a year, once they were done teething, the staining cleared up. That said, Suki started tearing again with the onset of an autoimmune disease she got, which I believe was from the rabies shot.
As for cleaning since then, they are lucky they get a brushing, never mind washing their faces. I do brush their teeth at least 4-5 times per week.
Thank you so much for all your help!!! There’s hope!! I’ve read on a forum that there’s people who clean their pups faces 2-3 times a day and that’s just not realistic for my schedule. Again thanks so much for everything you’re awesome! Did suki’s auto immune disease get cured?

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Thank you so much for all your help!!! There’s hope!! I’ve read on a forum that there’s people who clean their pups faces 2-3 times a day and that’s just not realistic for my schedule. Again thanks so much for everything you’re awesome! Did suki’s auto immune disease get cured?
No, unfortunately IBD can not be cured, yet it can be managed, not to be confused with IBS which is stressed induced.
i actually have two dogs with it. Lacie my oldest, from a puppy mill was very sickly since I adopted her at 3 months, also has it and is much harder to manage. Thankfully, she has been doing very well after several fecal transplants that helped rebalance her gut biome.
Anyway, London is beautiful! Her stains will clear up. Sometimes an ingredient in foods can cause tearing. My Ling did terrible on Fromms, her eyes were a mess. Once I switched her to sojos, it made a world of difference. It’s all trial and error. That said, London is still young, so I bet a lot of her staining is age and teething.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi- January 28 I became a mommy to my precious little London! She was 4 days shy of 4 months old and now she will be 6 months on the first. She is 2.8 pounds as of 2 weeks ago and she feels a bit heavier now. I bathe her with tropiclean whitening about every 10 days but stumbled on a page where it said that’s too excessive. Do you think it’s too much? Also, she’s almost done teething (she has two baby top front teeth with her second row already coming in) was wondering when the canine teeth fall out? View attachment 274195 View attachment 274195 View attachment 274197 View attachment 274199

·
Registered
4 Posts
She’s precious. Our Paisley is 14 months old now. She gets a bath about twice a month. She is still so hyper, I thought she would have calmed down some by now. Does anyone else have a wild child?

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
London is adorable!
Welcome to SM - We are glad to have you here!
I also think you are fine with your bathing every 10 days. I TRY and bath Abella once a week. It doesn't always happen as her "Spa Day" takes quite awhile with her long hair. Go easy on whitening shampoos as they tend to dry out the coat. I only use whitening shampoo every other bath time. Abellas coat tends to be "cottony" so I use lots of conditioner and let it sit for about 10 minutes before rinsing it out. I agree with Joanne (Maddysmom) the tear staining should clear up as London gets older. Abella also used to have tear staining I try and keep her face dry and wash out her eyes every morning while I am grooming her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congratulations Nicole! London is adorable! Other than a human baby there is nothing more precious than a little baby Maltese!! They melt your heart from the first moment. My little girl, Anastasia, is almost 10 months and yes, I'm still dealing with the tear staining, too. But cleaning a few times a day does help. Anastasia is my 4th Maltese and they do outgrow it, or at least mine did once they got past the teething stage into the first year or so.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She’s precious. Our Paisley is 14 months old now. She gets a bath about twice a month. She is still so hyper, I thought she would have calmed down some by now. Does anyone else have a wild child?
Did you get her spayed? Heard that calms them down but I’m not sure. My little London just turned 6 months on the 1st so I haven’t yet because I’m scared of the pandemic (I live in LA) hotspot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congratulations Nicole! London is adorable! Other than a human baby there is nothing more precious than a little baby Maltese!! They melt your heart from the first moment. My little girl, Anastasia, is almost 10 months and yes, I'm still dealing with the tear staining, too. But cleaning a few times a day does help. Anastasia is my 4th Maltese and they do outgrow it, or at least mine did once they got past the teething stage into the first year or so.
Thank you so much!! 🙏🏼 It gives me hope! She still has her canines. Hopefully they come out and she gets her adult teeth soon because those baby teeth hurt when we play! Lol
And you’re very right, they do melt your heart! Have been obsessed since getting her and obsession is growing each day! Crazy!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
London is adorable!
Welcome to SM - We are glad to have you here!
I also think you are fine with your bathing every 10 days. I TRY and bath Abella once a week. It doesn't always happen as her "Spa Day" takes quite awhile with her long hair. Go easy on whitening shampoos as they tend to dry out the coat. I only use whitening shampoo every other bath time. Abellas coat tends to be "cottony" so I use lots of conditioner and let it sit for about 10 minutes before rinsing it out. I agree with Joanne (Maddysmom) the tear staining should clear up as London gets older. Abella also used to have tear staining I try and keep her face dry and wash out her eyes every morning while I am grooming her.
Aww thanks! I’m very grateful for this website!! I’ve learned a lot! I’ve never used conditioner on her yet. Which shampoo and conditioners do you use? If you don’t mind me asking! 😊

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, unfortunately IBD can not be cured, yet it can be managed, not to be confused with IBS which is stressed induced.
i actually have two dogs with it. Lacie my oldest, from a puppy mill was very sickly since I adopted her at 3 months, also has it and is much harder to manage. Thankfully, she has been doing very well after several fecal transplants that helped rebalance her gut biome.
Anyway, London is beautiful! Her stains will clear up. Sometimes an ingredient in foods can cause tearing. My Ling did terrible on Fromms, her eyes were a mess. Once I switched her to sojos, it made a world of difference. It’s all trial and error. That said, London is still young, so I bet a lot of her staining is age and teething.
Omg! I’m sorry to hear that about your pups IBS and IBD. And thank you so much for the advice! I’ve looked up sojo just now and will try that out ASAP! Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts