Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Emily and we just adopted London, a 10 week old Maltese.

The type of sticks used by the breeder (redbarn mini bully barbells) have been reported to be a choking hazard, and watching him eat one, I can totally see how they could be. He loves to chew, and I'm trying to save my shirts, so I want to find another brand that is not quite as dangerous.
Thanks!
Emily

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I do not give them to either of my two. And I also would warn you not to purchase any Resin Nylabones since they can shred the inside of the stomach. I am sure that there are many other items that you Pet Shops have on hand to give your little Puppy. Kong makes a very nice variety as well as other name brand chew toys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definitely avoid resin nylabones and check out Kong’s. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
I don't use them either (although I tried them briefly yrs. ago) as I too believe they are a choking hazard. I use the churpie chews, but I do watch them w/these as well---as they can break. My two don't chew much anymore although Kitzi does chew on the ears of his stuffed bear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't use them either (although I tried them briefly yrs. ago) as I too believe they are a choking hazard. I use the churpie chews, but I do watch them w/these as well---as they can break. My two don't chew much anymore although Kitzi does chew on the ears of his stuffed bear.
I will check out the churpie chews, as I primarily want them for when London is sitting on my lap to see if I can distract him from my hair and fingers, as those are not good chew toys :)

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
Just remember they come in 3 sizes--large, M & small---I buy the larger ones but for a pup I would get the smalls. I think, although can't remember, that I started them on the smalls & moved up the ladder. That way there was no danger of swallowing bitten off pieces.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Hi Emily & London. I just wanted to give you both a BIG SM welcome. I'm sure (as you probably already are finding out) you will find lots of wonderful advise on this amazing maltese site. I am looking forward to learning more about London as she grows up with us. We love pictures too..... especially adorable puppy pictures!
🐶 🐾🌻

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh! Thanks for the warm welcome! Here he is with my daughter, who likes to carry him him around in a puppy sling :).
IMG_0040.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
So CUTE! London is very very adorable! 💞
I love her little head sticking out of her puppy sling. She looks so comfortable being carried around with your beautiful daughter. 😍
Enjoy this puppy stage it goes by so very very fast....I remember when I used to carry Abella around in her sling (now she is to big for it). 😥
Thank you for sharing this picture with us - Looking forward to many more!
🐶🐾🌻

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Correction to my above post London is a HE - not she!
Apologies for my mistake. 🙀

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the problem with picking a gender neutral name! In my younger daughter's school we have a female Noah who unfortunately wears her hair very short and has androgynous features. I was talking to my daughter about how nice of a boy he was, which my daughter thought was hysterical 🤭.

If there is one thing you wish you had done differently with Abella, what would it be? As we have never raised a dog before, let alone a maltese, so advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
My dogs have had so many different brands of bully sticks and it never appeared like one brand was specifically less of a hazard than another. The differences seem to just be in the quality but they all seem like a potential risk. I dont give them to my boys anymore simply because they have sensitive stomachs and get diarrhea from basically one stick.

It ends up looking like 100 melted Hershey kisses all throughout my house, lol. Not fun to clean up.

When i was giving it to them i made sure i took it away when the stick shrinks down to the point of a choking hazard. I only let them have it if i was going to be near by.

When you see the stick shrink down to maybe an inch long or less you want to consider throwing it out. This sorta depends on how big the dog is

1 - 14 of 14 Posts