Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I got a Maltese back in August from a breeder. It's been going well, she's very well behaved and seems to enjoy spending time with me. Seems very social so far!
When I got her, the breeder said she had some tearing but I could keep up with it by keeping her eyes/face clean. I'm trying but I'm still new to all of this.

-So I had done some reading on here, and I switched her to filtered/bottled water and stainless steel bowls.
-It does seem like it's helped a little, it's not as bad as when I got her. But the other thing she does is itch her ears with her hind leg and lick her paws. The paws have turned brown/rust color (it's more on the bottom side).

-Took her to the vet, she said it's allergies. She gave her: Apoquel. Didn't seem to help at all after 15 days. She said there wasn't much else to try at this point, so I went to another vet to get another opinion.

-The new vet also said it's allergies but said she wanted to give her a shot of: Cytopoint. It did seem to help with the itching and licking but it came back after a few weeks. Just took her to the vet again last Friday and she wanted to try another shot of Cytopoint.
I'm not sure if it's helping yet or not, maybe a little.

-As for the Tear Stains, I've been trying to clean around her eyes 2-3 times a day. I've been using Eye Envy and it seems to help a little. But as soon as I think it's getting better, they start leaking/tearing again and get the rust color stains. Try to keep the hair trimmed around the eyes as well to help.

So she's right around 17 months, do you think she should be outgrowing the tearing by now? I've read it's normal in puppies/teething but I think she's past the puppy phase correct? I've also read about tear ducts, but none of the vets mentioned anything like that.

-The breeder fed her Fromm Classic Puppy, so that's what I've been feeding her. She does well on it, unless it could be contributing to tearing. But thinking I should probably phase out the puppy and move to adult? Do you think I should try a grain free food if I stay on Fromm? Not sure if that would help with tearing or not.

Here is a recent photo, her eyes looks pretty good here minimal tearing on that day.

Dog Carnivore Dog supply Dog breed Flooring

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi absolutely adorable picture! Well my Cody has allergies too and my veterinarian put him on chlorpheniramine twice a day. And it helped tremendously. He never licked his paws but I rinse them under water everyday anyway. When Cody was a baby he had red burnt color tearing and he grew out of it. But I also wash his face every day too and give him Poland spring water. Ask your vet about that medicine hopefully it will help your baby.

·
Super Moderator
10,508 Posts
Your baby is adorable! Cytopoint and apoquel are both pretty potent drugs and I wouldn't use them on a toy breed dog if at all possible. It does sound like allergies from what you've described, but I'd try different foods and changing the external environment before those two drugs. I've used chlorpheniramine with success in the past.

Fromm is a great food, but she should be on adult food. Also chicken is one of the most common allergy-causing foods for dogs (vets don't tell you that) so I'd try switching to a different protein and avoiding the brown rice. Frozen foods or dehydrated raw that's been reconstituted are better because they haven't had the nutrients processed out and then put back in via chemicals; I prefer The Honest Kitchen and they have proteins other than chicken. If you insist on kibble, Fromm has some great recipes such as salmon tunalini; be sure to add water to the dry food to make sure your baby is getting enough moisture as our little ones don't drink enough water typically to make up for the dry food.

Getting rid of allergies is trial and error and can be frustrating, but once you see an improvement, you'll know you're on to something that's healthier for your baby. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts