Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There~

I've known I've wanted a toy dog now for a long time. I love dogs and this is the first time I've ever lived without them. It's not an easy thing to do. I've done a lot of research on toy dogs and the Maltese always seemed to stick out to me. It's definatley the breed I have decided on. So now Im just learning everything I can about them, so when the time comes and when Im able to have one, I will be completely prepared.

My boyfriend and I currently live in an apartment on the third floor, so I just dont think it would be fair to the puppy or myself right now. In August we are buying a place and thats when I plan on adding a new addition to my home as well. Ive been trying to be patient, but it's gettting hard. The more research I do, the more excited I get. I don't know how Im going to stand the next few months.

So I'll be asking a lot of questions just to make sure that this is the right breed for me. Although Im pretty sure it is!

Nicki Newton
Portland Oregon

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Welcome!

Being patient is the hardest part once you have made up your mind to get a pup!!
Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Welcome to SM and good luck with your search. We're behind you....

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Welcome! We got our first little one (our yorkie) when we lived in an apt. and now we live in a house and it does make a difference! Although, Rocky loved going on walks everytime we got home and now since we have a backyard I think he would rather go on the walks

My step-sister goes to Lewi and Clark!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Hi and Welcome from Massimo and me.
If you want information on the breed, then this is the right place to find it!!

-c

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Welcome, Nicki! We're glad you found us - this is truly a wonderful place to learn and get support. I live north of Olympia, and love Portland. My son has done the Seattle-to-Portland (STP) bike race, and he, too, loves Portland - to the point of wanting to move there.
Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. I think this is the best resource I have found. I do already have a few questions.

While reading through the forum I noticed in the health section that Luxated Patella was talked about quite often. I know that is a concern for any toy dog, but it seems like a large percent have to have surgery to correct this. Is this a condition that the breeder can detect before it goes home?

I know Frosty'sMom was looking for a breeder in the NorthWest as well. Many of you suggested Hi-Lite Maltese by Pamela Armstrong. Has any one had any experience with Char at Notori Maltese or Peggy Wanner at Kandu Maltese? They are part of the Pacific Rim Maltese.

Thank you again for all of your help and support! Hopefully it will get me through the next few months.

I decided on naming her Bianca. I know your suppose to wait and see the charater of the puppy, but I really love the name. It means "fair or white". It's the perfect name for a little spoiled maltese : )

Nicki Newton
Portland, Oregon

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Nicki@May 21 2005, 01:30 AM
My boyfriend and I currently live in an apartment on the third floor, so I just dont think it would be fair to the puppy or myself right now.
Nicki Newton

Portland Oregon
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63988
[/QUOTE]

Hi Nicki and welcome to SM!!

Back in 1990 when I was living in a third-floor walk up condo I got my first Maltese, Rosebud, and we lived in the condo for almost two years. It was not a problem at all. I took her for a walk at least once a day and she used potty pads inside. We also played a lot of fetch, etc. in the condo. So, actually it wasn't a lot different than living in a house. For a while I had to carry her up and down the stairs when we went out, but that really wasn't a problem. Eventually, she went up and down by herself.

I mention this in case the "right" Maltese for you comes along before August...

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes ur vet can check the knees when u bring ur pup in for a health check. its not 100% but it will def. tell u if they have a problem at that time. i'm working at a vet right now and i was able to detect grade 2 and 3 LP on a pom puppy at 12 weeks.

BTW welcome to SM hope u find ur baby soon!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
WELCOME to SM!

Its really good you came here first to do your research. I didnt do that and wish I had. I dont know the answers to your questions because I do not have those problems with Kodie but as you can see we have a LOT of helpful people here at SM!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Welcome Nicki!

I live in a top floor (3rd floor) apartment with Lexi. It has never been a problem. Well when potty training it was a little bit of a pain, but not much. Lexi still gets plenty of exercise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
See I dont think having a Maltese in a apartment in a problem at all either! The thing is, my boyfriend does. He has been great and supportive of me wanting a Maltese. (All though he says I become obsessive at times.) I have shown him all my books that say the Maltese is a perfect apartment breed and I even had him read your responses. (Thanks by the way!) He still says no.

Although he did just make some valid points, that we would have to pay a $250 pet deposit fee which would be a waist of $250 since we're buying our place in August. I made the point that the Maltese is so small we could sort of smuggle her in : ) Then he said if we don't get our refund back or evicted it would be my tush (Not good). He also said how fair is it to bring a new puppy to a home where it will only be, for at most, a couple months and train it to go potty one place and then switch it in a couple months.

So sadly, he did make good points. I just am getting impatient and really want a baby right now! So until then, I will just have to live through everyone on this site who gets a new puppy. It will only help me learn and prepare more!

Nicki Newton
Portland, Oregon

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Just to let you if you are just starting your search it will probably take you a couple of months to find a good reputable breeder. I've been searching since the end of Feb and just found 3 breeders at the beginning of May. They don't even have any puppies right now. They are all expecting litters at the end of May. It will be 12 weeks from then until the puppies are ready to go home.

If you have any questions on what to look for in a breeder, what to avoid, or where to start looking for a breeder let us know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to let you if you are just starting your search it will probably take you a couple of months to find a good reputable breeder.
Oh, well that's something to think about. I have a list of about 5 breeders that are associated with the pacific rim assc. Do you think it's a good idea to start contacting them now and explain I would like one by Aug or Sept? Or Should I wait a little bit longer?

I guess I also going to have to start buying supplies too : ) I've already found some really cute things!!

Nicki Newton
Portland, Oregon

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Just to let you if you are just starting your search it will probably take you a couple of months to find a good reputable breeder.
Oh, well that's something to think about. I have a list of about 5 breeders that are associated with the pacific rim assc. Do you think it's a good idea to start contacting them now and explain I would like one by Aug or Sept? Or Should I wait a little bit longer?

I guess I also going to have to start buying supplies too : ) I've already found some really cute things!!

Nicki Newton
Portland, Oregon
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64989

I think its a great idea Nicki! Usually they know when they are going to breed their dogs and when they will have puppies. A dog that is pregnant now will take 45 days I think (dont quote me on that) and than after the babies are born you usually have to wait atleast 10 weeks to get the pup home. That right there is about a 4 months process which puts you right in the time frame you want to be in

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by BrookeB676+May 24 2005, 10:11 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2005, 07:59 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@May 24 2005, 05:33 AM

Nicki Newton
Portland, Oregon
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64989

I think its a great idea Nicki! Usually they know when they are going to breed their dogs and when they will have puppies. A dog that is pregnant now will take 45 days I think (dont quote me on that) and than after the babies are born you usually have to wait atleast 10 weeks to get the pup home. That right there is about a 4 months process which puts you right in the time frame you want to be in

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64992
[/B][/QUOTE]
I would start contacting them now. Make sure you ask lots of questions. If you need some help on what to ask just PM me and I can send you some links.

Pregnancy for dogs is 60 days (give or take a day or two). It is recommended that you wait until the puppies are 12 weeks old to take them home. So that is 5 months. Good breeders will not breed their females every time they go into heat so. That means they don't have litters all the time. For some breeders there will be a waiting list, so you might not even be able to get a puppy for this litter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts