Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
helloo everyone. my name is maureen and i now have 2 maltese. one is 3 and the other is a new puppy who is about 5 months. we've had the puppy for about 2 months now and the 2 still fight a lot and bite at each other. my older dog even has cuts and scabs on him from the puppy!! we try our best to try and have the 2 get along.. we keep the puppy in his cage for the most part.. but they are just not getting along!! are they just playing? and also they are very bad at sharing.. the little one always takes the others toys and food. do you guys have any advice?? thanks!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Hi, welcome to Spoiled Maltese. I can't really help you with the fighting. I only have 1 puppy. You could try talking to a trainer or behaviorist. They could help alot.

my older dog even has cuts and scabs on him from the puppy!![/B]
If there are cuts and scabs I don't think it is play. If it is it is still too rough. I would talke to your vet about recommending someone who could help you.

Oh, I would love to see pictures of you babies.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
someone else has this problem. but the dogs are like the same age. anyway, sprite and ellie didnt stop fighting till we got gruffi. thats when they would both gang up on gruffi and 'attack'. it was cute...and they still do it. :eek: but they never hurt him.

anyway--my advice was to start training both dogs. make them learn to sit and down and when they're bad, teach them to get a toy. also--i heard this, and its totally true

A tired dog is a good dog

maybe go on long long walks. and play a lot of fetch. like now, since gruffi hurt ellie really bad (she threw up) she stopped playing with him. now the dogs RARELY play with each other. they prefer to play with the humans.
good luck. if none of this work. try www.unclematty.com thats what we're working with now. it helps a lot.
i have a thread about it in "maltese training" forum on this site.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I agree, a tired Maltese doesn't have the energy to fight. Aside from the walks you could get some of those long legged animal toys and pull both dogs around the house for a while. Just make sure it's big enough for them to both get a hold of without being on top of each other. Training is also a good idea. Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aww thank you guys so much for your help!! i really appreciate it. it's been hard getting the new puppy because we were hoping (unrealistically) that they would be instant best friends.. but that is just not the case yet. our older maltese, buster, just seems so much more mature now and would much rather just sleep but then our new puppy, snax, comes over to him and bites his tail and his neck and gets him all worked up. we definitely should try and start training them.. the most training we've done is going to the bathroom.. we were lucky to never have one problem with buster..he was perfect..but now with the addition of snax it is a whole new experience. thank you again for your help! i dont have any pictures of the dogs online, but if i get a chance i will put them on. yours are so cute! i love maltese
thanks again

-maureen

·
Registered
323 Posts
We have two but we got them when there was only a few months difference in age so they grew up together. However, the girl (alpha-queen) likes to take whatever the boy has even if is the exact same thing she has and we have just started telling her no and she looks at us and goes back to her item. Novel concept :wacko: , we were just not to bright in the beg. and let her get away with it then we started the big "NO" word with her and she is okay with it. They don't fight so that is good, however they did play rough as pups and their teeth are so sharp they had little bite marks sometimes. Now they just chase each other all the time. I hope yours get to be best buds soon. I agree with the other posters-tucker them out.....

·
Registered
939 Posts
Welcome! Do keep us updated on the progress of your two fur babies. Tiki is now two years old and I often consider getting another maltese but worry about this type of problem.

Post some pictures when you can, can't wait to see them.

Judi

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Warm Welcomes to you and your babies

I have 2 maltese too! They fought so much that I was scared they didn't like each other. But I know they love each other because they kiss each other ALL the time. But, when they start going nuts with each other and growl and get all loud, I just say "NO!" to them. At first they use to get scratches on them, but now they don't. I dont know if anything's changed. I use to cut their nails and not file it. Now I file there nails because it hurts when they scratch me! Maybe that's it. Regardless how rough my two plays, I know it's just play. Don't know if this helps. GOODLUCK!

·
Registered
11 Posts
We had 5 and was down to 1 when we brought 2 puppies into the household. Bunny, who is 11 years old was not happy at all. She would growl and snip at them. It took alot of time and giving her her own space before things began to come together. She still needs her own space and special attention but now she at least gets along with them. It will happen - just give it some time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks again for all the hellos and advice! i do agree that i think for the most part it is just playing.. and i was also so worried in the beginning that our older dog buster would resent us for giving the new puppy so much attention. it is definitely starting to get better everyday except that the other day my mom found both of the dogs in the kitchen eating an ENTIRE box of cookies.. needless to say the dogs were not feeling well for a good day after!! anyway, thanks again you guys have been really helpful at making me feel better about my situation :D

~maureen

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My sister and I both have Maltese and whenever they are together they fight/play. At first I was really worried because my sister's dog is really tiny and I was afraid my Tuffy was going to hurt him. I was always breaking them up, but I asked a dog trainer about it and she said that dogs play like that and that if they were hurting each other they would walk away from the other dog. I also make sure to listen to the noises they make when they are playing because you'll eventually be able to tell the difference between a play growl and a mean growl and when to break them apart. I think Tuffy and Palbert still play fight because they aren't together 24/7 and haven't had enough time to decide who's going to be Alpha dog. But anyways, good luck with your doggies and welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
WELCOME!

About your "problem" give them time. I have a maltese puppy and we just got an older chihuahua. Brit'ny, the maltese, wants to play with Polly soooooo bad. It took about a month and then one day all of a sudden Polly just started playing with Brit'ny!

It was amazing! Just tell them "no" a LOT, when they are getting too rough, when the little one is stealing, ect.

I must have said "No" a billion times. Polly used to snap at Brit'ny and run away from her, and Brit'ny would try and eat out of Polly's food bowl. All those behaviours just sort of melted away when they realized that they were both here to stay!

Good Luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts