Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to the group. My wife and I are retired. We are the happy owners of a 3 1/2 year old male Maltese named Milo. We have had him since he was a baby. He is a wonderful little boy and we love him.
We live in MA, and our two grown kids live in Maine. We head up to Maine to visit the kids every couple of months for a few days. We have a kennel that we use that is local to us. This has been working out without any issues that we know of. The kennel is clean, and there are usually several other dogs there. Of course Milo freaks out when we put him in the cage and walk away. But, a few days later, when we pick him up, he looks good and is perfectly fine on the way home. So no problems. The longest he’s been there so far is maybe six days.
As I said, we’re retired. Me recently. This June, we want to plan a road trip out to Arizona. My plan is about a 20 day kennel stay. I have dreamed of doing a trip like this for years and now I have the time. My only hold back is Milo going to the kennel for this extended stay. We do not want to take him on the trip with us. He’s not too crazy about car rides locally. He’d be to much to deal with day to day on the road.
I’m asking for opinions on how other owners feel about kenneling their dog this long. That’s it!
Thanks in advance for your support, Eric

· Administrator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,279 Posts
Is there anyone locally that can take care of him either in your home or theirs? Maltese in general need attention. When I was working I and had to go to conferences, I had my neighbor come over several times a day, play with him, feed him etc. Although he was fine at her house when we visited, he really seemed so much more comfortable at home. I would look for someone you know and trust. It is easier if Milo is a peepad dog. If you could find someone, I would have them come over regularly before you go to get use to the routine. My neighbor came over several days a week while I was at work, so Lucky would have the day broken up. That would be ideal.

· Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,198 Posts
Is there anyone you know and trust who could actually move into your house while you're gone to look after Milo. This way you have someone staying at his home in his surroundings with him. I think 20 days is a very long time to leave him at a kennel. That's just my opinion.

· Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,335 Posts
Hello Eric & Milo---welcome to SM! Congratulations on retirement!
Walter has, as usual, offered good suggestions! You have time before June to get Milo accustomed to a routine like this. I have always had one or two dogs & have done a fair amount of travel in different countries & have only left my dog(s) three times & always w/a good friend who is as fanatical as I am. You are correct that some things are best done w/the dog in a safe & happy environment for the both of you (weddings, funerals). With that in mind a gentle reminder that their entire world is focused on you.
Once when we moved to the UK our pup had to be kenneled for 6 months & I could not leave him behind as he was not in the best of health. I would never put a dog through that again. I did learn to drive on the left side of the road so I could visit him 2-3 times a week, but neither of us ever got over it.
What part of MA are you in? Maybe we have someone in that area who can help you find a good, temporary situation?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Eric & Milo---welcome to SM! Congratulations on retirement!
Walter has, as usual, offered good suggestions! You have time before June to get Milo accustomed to a routine like this. I have always had one or two dogs & have done a fair amount of travel in different countries & have only left my dog(s) three times & always w/a good friend who is as fanatical as I am. You are correct that some things are best done w/the dog in a safe & happy environment for the both of you (weddings, funerals). With that in mind a gentle reminder that their entire world is focused on you.
Once when we moved to the UK our pup had to be kenneled for 6 months & I could not leave him behind as he was not in the best of health. I would never put a dog through that again. I did learn to drive on the left side of the road so I could visit him 2-3 times a week, but neither of us ever got over it.
What part of MA are you in? Maybe we have someone in that area who can help you find a good, temporary situation?
About a half hour east of Springfield

· Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,335 Posts
You are very close to my youngest daughter who lives in Amherst. She is putting her doctoral dissertation "to bed" & hopes fo finish up at the end of May. I could enquire of her if she knows anyone in the area who has maltese experience. It may take a while as she is under a bit of pressure to do things in a timely manner to finish well. I will get back to you. In the mean time maybe other members can jump in w/advice.

· Registered
428 Posts
Hi, I would try to find someone to come to your home or bring him to their home to watch. I kno At times it’s difficult, maybe call some rescue groups in your area or even veterinary offices. My veterinarian office knows people that would watch my dog and they are knowledgeable some technicians are really nice and will watch your dog for you. Call your veterinarian office see if they have suggestions and could help. Or maybe bring him on the trip with you.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hello to the group. My wife and I are retired. We are the happy owners of a 3 1/2 year old male Maltese named Milo. We have had him since he was a baby. He is a wonderful little boy and we love him.
We live in MA, and our two grown kids live in Maine. We head up to Maine to visit the kids every couple of months for a few days. We have a kennel that we use that is local to us. This has been working out without any issues that we know of. The kennel is clean, and there are usually several other dogs there. Of course Milo freaks out when we put him in the cage and walk away. But, a few days later, when we pick him up, he looks good and is perfectly fine on the way home. So no problems. The longest he’s been there so far is maybe six days.
As I said, we’re retired. Me recently. This June, we want to plan a road trip out to Arizona. My plan is about a 20 day kennel stay. I have dreamed of doing a trip like this for years and now I have the time. My only hold back is Milo going to the kennel for this extended stay. We do not want to take him on the trip with us. He’s not too crazy about car rides locally. He’d be to much to deal with day to day on the road.
I’m asking for opinions on how other owners feel about kenneling their dog this long. That’s it!
There is an app called Rover. On this app you can find local services for boarding, dog walking, doggy daycare, etc. That’s how I found my awesome dog sitter. I think 20 days in a kennel is too long.

· Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I have heard of mixed results from Rover. You would need to screen the individual, maybe try the person out and if the trial is successful, hope they remain available for the time of the full trip.

· Super Moderator
10,527 Posts
You've gotten some great suggestions. I don't kennel my girls because of how much they love and want personalized attention. Plus with the tiny dogs, stress can manifest itself in illness as well as behavioral issues.

I have a wonderful dog walker/sitter who stays in my home when I am gone for more than two days. If it's just overnight, she comes in 4 times a day to attend to the girls. Because they're at home, they sleep when she's not here (I've checked on my security cameras so I know that's what they do.)

In addition to asking friends and neighbors who they might know, ask your vet and groomer. Many years ago I found a great sitter through the vet's office - she used to work for them as a tech and left full time work when she had kids. I also asked my neighbors who I see have someone other than them walking their dogs who they use.

Good luck in the search!

· Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to this very helpful group! So many here have given me such wonderful advice. You are in great hands! My husband and I have had Maltese dogs for almost 40 years. There have been occasions where we chose to take a cruise or had to go on a business trip. My honest opinion, from the heart, is that kenneling Maltese is a high risk. Over the years we have used the supposedly highest-rated facilities wherever we lived and come home to find our babies covered in pee, or dying of thirst, or just plain dirty. You don't know who the people are in those kennels. You don't know if your baby is getting enough water. You don't know if he will be left alone for too long. You don't know that he will be handled safely. If he becomes sick will they care? Will they get him medical help immediately? You and your wife have things you rightfully want to do, but I hope you will consider the idea of getting some serious training for him so that your baby can travel easily with you. Maltese bring so much joy to people and are consistently good travel companions. After a period of adjustment, you will feel like he is a little appendage to you. If that does not work for you, then I guess the next best option is getting a very trusted friend or family member to come into your home and stay with him. This is a difficult issue and I wish you a satisfying solution. And on a side note, both my husband and I found ourselves worrying about our babies to the point that the trip was pretty much spoiled.

· Premium Member
4,569 Posts
When my husband and I were talking over getting a Maltese. We thought about any sacrifices we would be making, such as traveling. We were now both retired. We had traveled often previously when we had Cats but Cats and Dogs are very different.

We asked each other if we were willing to give up traveling. We knew we could not, in good conscience, put a Maltese in a kennel or entrust any friend with our little one. I don’t think I could put any breed of Dog in a kennel. So we don’t travel. We have had three Maltese and wouldn’t change a thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts