Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to this forum in order to get some info about my Maltese who thinks he is a Jack Russel terrier. After my required two posts I will describe his behavior and post am interesting picture. Our previous Maltese, whom we had until he was 16, was a typical lap dog. Not this one!

·
Premium Member
17,470 Posts
Welcome to SM. . . . I am looking forward to meeting your hyper little maltese.:chili::chili::chili:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, edelweis, for the welcome.

He's not little. 15 pounds, and not fat. But DNA test says he's 100 % Maltese. Probably from a line not selected for tinyness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After our beloved Maltese of 16 years, Cooper, passed away bought a pair of littermates to surprise my wife. Our new pups, Scooter and Teddy, were age 4 months when we got them. They are now 20 months old. Completely unlike Cooper. They are big, about 15 pounds each. And not fat big, just bigger in all dimensions, and very strong. They are clever and pick up cues on our routines very quickly. They are obedient and usually just saying "No" will stop undesired barking or misbehavior. I'm sure part of their energy is their youthfulness, but the larger one especially is very terrier-like. Constant hyperactivity, sniffing and digging around rodent holes, and finally the big episode...

While on our walk Scooter saw a squirrel, lunged and yanked the leash out of my hand, chased the squirrel, caught him, and shook him violently to kill him instantly. The whole episode took only a few seconds. After this I was sure he was a Maltese - terrier cross. A DNA test came back today. 100% Maltese. Scooter's brother, Teddy, is more docile.

What is amazing is that a dog of a breed bred to be a lap dog for hundreds of years would still retain the instincts to capture and kill in the same way that terriers bred to be "ratters" do.

I'm attaching pictures of the pair and of Scooter with his prize. He walked around with the squirrel he killed for about 30 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to mention: Both dogs are males, neutered at age six months. Almost 100% toilet trained.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more thing about the pair. They are insanely jealous of one another. They get along fine but if one gets attention from me or my wife the other goes nuts. When I get ready to take them on a walk they fight over whose leash gets hooked up first. I hope they outgrow this. If I had it to do over I would get one dog, not two.

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts
Welcome. By now you've figured out you have a pair that wasn't bred to standard - that can show up in many ways, both physical and behavioral. My suggestion is for you to consult a trainer who is a behaviorist - trained to work with behavioral problems. You'll need to do some research to find one, though; the trainers who work out of pet stores don't usually have those qualifications. Your vet may have some suggestions for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts