Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

It is currently my third day with my maltese (whom I currently do not have a picture uploaded yet). He's 2 months, 2 weeks and 6 days old, and adorable as heck.

I stumbled onto the forum a while back when looking up maltese information prior to his arrival, and found all the topics very useful. I've finally gathered up the courage to join the site and do a little posting of my own. I hope you will all take care of me and my pup :blush:.

I find that the products many of you have... and unable in Hong Kong (which I currently reside in now). I'm almost tempted to order the items back home (in Canada) and reship but I guess I'll just have to make do so far.

A question for all the gurus out there... I realize maltese is such an active breed and needs all the attention, and I know I should have considered this before I decided to get a puppy. However, I work very long hours (probably away from home 12 hours a day, 6 days a week). Is there a way for me to make Momo more comfortable being at alone for such long hours? Or should I actually consider taking him to work with me? I currently have a room for him, pup-proofed and all. He's partially potty-trained, and lots of free space to run around, but is blocked off the rest of the house. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Hello everyone.

It is currently my third day with my maltese (whom I currently do not have a picture uploaded yet). He's 2 months, 2 weeks and 6 days old, and adorable as heck.

I stumbled onto the forum a while back when looking up maltese information prior to his arrival, and found all the topics very useful. I've finally gathered up the courage to join the site and do a little posting of my own. I hope you will all take care of me and my pup :blush:.

I find that the products many of you have... and unable in Hong Kong (which I currently reside in now). I'm almost tempted to order the items back home (in Canada) and reship but I guess I'll just have to make do so far.

A question for all the gurus out there... I realize maltese is such an active breed and needs all the attention, and I know I should have considered this before I decided to get a puppy. However, I work very long hours (probably away from home 12 hours a day, 6 days a week). Is there a way for me to make Momo more comfortable being at alone for such long hours? Or should I actually consider taking him to work with me? I currently have a room for him, pup-proofed and all. He's partially potty-trained, and lots of free space to run around, but is blocked off the rest of the house. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hi and :welcome1: to you and Momo :) Glad that you found us.

If taking him to work with you was ok and possible, I would do that (if I were you :p). Otherwise, maybe come back home during your lunch break or something to check on him, spend some time with him...etc OR you can hire a setter to come around for few hourse (2 hours for example) to stay with him, play with him, feed him...etc.

Yes, maltese do require the attention, care, socalisation..etc. That is the responsibility of owning a 4 legged freind. If you ask me, it is so worth it :wub:

I am looking forward to learning more about your pup :wub:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd have to commute an immensely long time. Dog sitting... hmm... maybe I should look more into that... but I'd much rather take him to work, and spend more quality time with him (and less time working).

Before Momo, I'd never imagine such a loyal dog breed. But I must admit, I get jealous when he follows my boyfriend around too when he's over. He's so adorable though, following me everywhere around the house

He's three months old, so he has tear stains under and around his eyes. I thought I should develop a daily regimen to clean his face etc, but he seems to squirm every time I wipe his face. Is there a way for me to hold him down firmly (yet gently)?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Omg, Snowy and Crystal are adorable! I just finished watching their Youtube video. You have them so properly trained... it's so amazing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi & welcome :) Mine used to squirm every which way when I tried to wipe his face too, I just kept doing it-- and he slowly stopped squirming! I think the best way is just to be consistent and eventually he will get used to it :thumbsup: I don't have much advice on the making him comfortable when he's alone bit-- but I would suggest maybe a doggy daycare or a pet sitter a couple times a week just so he's not completely alone? Or even having a relative go by and play with him/ check in too.

Momo's an adorable name by the way :wub: My sister's Yorkie is named Momo!:chili:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. Momo - in Chinese actually means "Fur"... and since he has lots of that, we've decided upon that. I'll definitely give persistence a try.

Butter is adorable too! especially in clothes.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I'd have to commute an immensely long time. Dog sitting... hmm... maybe I should look more into that... but I'd much rather take him to work, and spend more quality time with him (and less time working).

Before Momo, I'd never imagine such a loyal dog breed. But I must admit, I get jealous when he follows my boyfriend around too when he's over. He's so adorable though, following me everywhere around the house

He's three months old, so he has tear stains under and around his eyes. I thought I should develop a daily regimen to clean his face etc, but he seems to squirm every time I wipe his face. Is there a way for me to hold him down firmly (yet gently)?
I love that option better (taking him with you ^_^) :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi and welcome. Can't wait to see pictures of your pup!

Shortly after bringing our pups home in September, I realized there was one day a week when the pups would be alone for the entire day on a regular basis. This is no longer the case but we did have to deal with it for a week or two and of course, there are times when the pups are at home randomly for a chunk of time without us being there. This is what we did/do:

In a hard floor room, we put the pups' appropriately sized wire crate. I don't know if Momo has a crate or not but you will probably find that he would love it. They really like having their own area, it makes them settle down and feel safe and stuff. They also will not potty there if the crate is the right size. So anyway, we bought a metal wire play yard, not too big, just about three or four feet in diameter. We attached the play yard to the sides of the front of the crate and wired the door open. The crate forms the last wall in the ring, I do not know if that makes sense. Put a nice comfy blanket in the crate and then in the play yard, you can put down a piddle pad and depending on the length of time, have food and water accessible. This way he will have a place to potty, a place to sleep and feel secure, a place to eat, a place to stretch and walk and play.

The other thing is maybe have special toys and treats that he only gets when you are leaving. We have puppy sized Kongs that we stick some treats in and seal off with a teeny bit of puppy peanut butter. This will occupy them for a while and they will associate something yummy with you being gone, maybe easing it for them a bit? And make sure to put lots of SAFE toys in there to keep him from getting bored. Of course, an added benefit of this set up is that it protects your pup from harm, protects your home from acting out due to boredom or separation anxiety, and has a lot of benefits of crate training without keeping them crated in a small crate for too long but while still having the cozy crate option.

I think a lot of us can relate to your predicament. We all love our pups but sometimes real life gets in the way and we have to do things we don't love, like leave them for longer than we thought. :( I think if you have the option to have someone to pop in and check on him or play with him a bit during the day, that would be a great addition to crating with a play yard. Just make sure that YOU give him lots of attention and time to be active when you are home. :)

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Welcome to SM!

In my opinion (and this is only my opinion) your maltese is a little too young to be left home alone for extended periods of time. Typically, here in the US maltese don't leave their mothers (or their breeders) until they are at least 12 weeks old because of dangers of them not being able to regulate their own body sugars and the needs to learn "dog rules" from their mothers and siblings. I'm not sure if China is different than the US and pups typically go home earlier but it sounds like your little guy might have come home a little too early.

As far as taking him to work with you - if he has all his shots and it wouldn't be an issue taking him then I would do that! If you can't do that then I would get a dog sitter to come and spend time with him each day. 12 hours a day is a long time to be away from such a young pup.

Again, welcome to SM!

·
Registered
198 Posts
The twelve week thing... We brought our pups home at eight weeks and when people on here found out, I got a lot of criticism. While twelve weeks is ideal, it is not at all unheard of to do it earlier than that. Every circumstance and situation is different. Our pups are healthy and smart and developing right on schedule.

And I know I am not the only one on here who got my pups "early"... I received some private messages from people who were feeling my pain, saying they also got their pups at eight weeks but didn't want to deal with the criticism. So don't feel terrible about bringing your pup home at eight weeks. It's a little late to worry about that anyway. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for everyone's advice (and encouragement). He's eleven weeks now... and I thought to bring him home just a bit earlier because my uncle was staying with me for a short time (he's on his vacation, lucky him). Although he wouldn't be home constantly, he would at least see what Momo is up to increments during the day. At least then, I'd feel safe.

I don't have a crate for him, since he sleeps with me in an other room, blocked off from the house. I've debated between a bag-carrier and a crate before I got him, but now, maybe I should consider buying the latter in addition. He has a lot of toys, but I haven't really categorized them. I should soon... and stock up on more to keep him occupied and out of trouble.

I will look more into keeping him entertained at home and perhaps finding another family member to watch him periodically while I'm at work. Perhaps when he's had all his shots, then I will bring him to work with me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would definitely recommend a crate, for various reasons. Look in to crate training for more information and sizing. You definitely want to get it sized to his little body. :) You wouldn't have to be as disciplined or strict as most crate training websites will suggest, if you do not want to, but they will have good reasons to crate your pup and good recommendations on picking one out, getting your pup used to it, when to use it, etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would it still be considered crate training if I leave the crate door open and allow him to freely walk in and out? I don't want to isolate him for long periods of time. He seems to be potty trained whenever I'm around, but seems to pee everywhere (when my uncle is around) when I'm not. I register this as a rebellious behavior or some sort of attention getting? Even though he knows where to pee, he doesn't know that poop can go on the same potty... and goes in the living room. I'm not sure how to teach him otherwise though...

But Momo's adorable. I started the sit command with treats... and when he senses I'm about to give it to him... he goes wild and often misses the command. But when he knows I'm not about to give it to him until he sits, he really sits down (for a split second, and gets back up immediately). I think he thinks that if his bum touches the floor, he'll get a treat. Haha.

·
Registered
198 Posts
:) Cute!

You can leave the crate open and let him roam. We do that with the pups, too, but we attached a play yard so they are still confined. A good crate training site will tell you things like not to keep him in there too long at first, to train him to like it with treats and games, to crate him while you are in the room and nearby (at first) so he doesn't associate going in the crate with you "abandoning" him... There's lots of good information out there and probably even some on this site. ;)

Yeah, the peeing thing... I have heard and read that small dogs tend to have separation anxiety when their owners are not around and yes, do things for attention and to act out and show you he's mad. :) Another benefit of crate training is that it will curb that a bit.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Welcome to SM!! I agree with those who said to take him to work with you. I've had Maltese in my life since 1990 and they are a breed that really loves being with their family. 12 hours, 6 days a week is really too much time alone. Do you have a doggy carrying bag you can put him in to take to work? That would be wonderful. Our pups are happy as long as they are with us, so I'm sure he'll get used to the long ride, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yes, I have a carrying bag that imo, I think he loves. Probably because his breeder never took him outside. Everytime I went downstairs (just to get dinner or something), I let him tag along.

But I find the time apart unbearable. I almost ran into the house and hugged him to death yesterday.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts

Try giving him a treat when you wash his face. A tiny piece of chicken can do wonders when training.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Try giving him a treat when you wash his face. A tiny piece of chicken can do wonders when training.
Thank you for the advice. I found that when giving him a treat... he always expects more... and when I move my hand around to touch him and what not, he follows my hand and nipping me for more.

Although yesterday, I started wiping down his face. Baby steps. He struggled at first... but when he stayed still for a short amount of time... I praised that. Hopefully with time and persistence, I can get him to stay still for even longer periods of time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts