Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, IM NEW TO THE SITE, I JOINED BECAUSE ON CHRISMAS EVE MY LITTLE FLUFF WILL BE 3MONTHS AND ILL BRING HER ( NALA ) HOME:chili:. IM EXCITED AND SAD, SHE'LL HAVE TO LEAVE HER FAMILY:unsure:, I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME SOME ADVICE AS TO WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP HER WITH THIS BIG TRANSITION AND WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If it were me, I'd wait till Dec 26 to bring her home. There might be too much excitement, things to smell and get into, eat, get stepped on, doors to be left open, people coming and going.

Too scarey for me on that day for a new pup.

Good luck, hope to see you here often!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice barb, ill try to work this out with the breeder, i'm sure it want be a problem, didn't think about that with 20 expected guest. I have more questions guys, she'll only be 12 wks. Is that to early to start potty training outside? Any advice on the best food to start her on? Have anyone tryed useing water bottles for drinking?

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
It would definitely depend on her temperament - if she's a little on the shy side, suddenly being thrust into a new home with a ton of people who want to hold her, see her, etc, might be more than a little overwhelming. But if she is a pup with a 'bomb proof' temperament, it could be ok.

i personally would hold off on pottying outside until she is 16-18 weeks and has all of her vaccinations. i use a water bottle, it works pretty well! Esp in crates during travel. Make sure she has another source of water though, because sometimes they can't get enough water that they need from a bottle.

Food - keep her on what the breeder is feeding her when you first get her and if you want to try a different food, I would start it slowly, adding the new food to the old so she doesn't get her tummy upset.

Can't wait to see pics of her and hear all about her! WElcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks bellarata, I visit her every wk. Or two And from what I can see she's very active not at all shy. But I will definiate post pics soon.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I'd wait until after the holidays if the breeder will keep her. New pups can get under foot or demand more attention than there is time to give during the holidays.
Congrats on your baby and welcome to SM!

·
Premium Member
20,056 Posts
I agree with the others. I'd like to bring a new pup into a calm stressfree home. Afterall she's leaving the comfort of her mom and whole life behind and going to a new life all alone....scary!!!:new_shocked:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
I'd wait until after the holidays if the breeder will keep her. New pups can get under foot or demand more attention than there is time to give during the holidays.
Congrats on your baby and welcome to SM!
Great advice.

Yes, welcome to SM, you'll find lots of helpful information here!:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts