Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Im from Kentucky and 15 years old. I have been looking at this site for sometime but just joined, I love it here!..I have also never owned a maltese, but planning to get one on the 1st or 2nd week of december, and was wondering if yall could tell me somethings to look for in a pup, like what should there coat look like, should they have all their pigments by 12 weeks of age?
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
welcome to SM, you will find alot of answers to your questions here in the forums, you are very young and there are alot of knowledgable people who can help educate you in raising a Maltese, have you had a dog before, will he/she be a family pet or just yours?

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Hello everyone, Im from Kentucky and 15 years old. I have been looking at this site for sometime but just joined, I love it here!..I have also never owned a maltese, but planning to get one on the 1st or 2nd week of december, and was wondering if yall could tell me somethings to look for in a pup, like what should there coat look like, should they have all their pigments by 12 weeks of age?
Thanks for any help
[/B]

You said you will be getting a puppy the 1st or 2nd week of Dec. Have you already been in contact with a breeder?

The coat should look healthy, it may or may not be the same as what the adult coat will come in to be. They should have their pigments before probably 7 weeks. Although some do get a little pigment later I think if you are looking for good pigmentation then count on it being there long before 12 weeks.

:lol:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-Joe
Yes, I have had lots of dogs before but never a house dog. she will be a family pet but i'll be doin all the bathing and stuff lol

-sassys mom
Yes, I have talked to the breeder lots of times.

I have one more question: If I leave her hair long, then when she goes to the bathroom will she get it on her?

~thanks~

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
-sassys mom
Yes, I have talked to the breeder lots of times.

I have one more question: If I leave her hair long, then when she goes to the bathroom will she get it on her?

~thanks~[/B]
Well that all depends. There is a "sanitary cut" that either you or your groomer can do around the anus that will help that not to happen; however, there are times when a little doggie might get in a hurry to get away from that stinky and in doing so the little turd might get caught in the skirt hair. It is normally not a problem, but if the baby has eaten something that does not 100% agree with him/her or if the food has not been in the colon long enough it could get messy. But that could also happen with short hair. Baby wipes are a blessing to keep around. No muss, no fuss, no washing them
Another trick that I do if and when my Sassy has ever had loose bowels is that I will temp. band her skirt hairs. This keeps them out of the way and no messes. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Welcome,sounds like your getting good advice! Ask anything your not sure off ,someone here will help you out! Cant wait to see pics of your baby when you get it!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I have one more question: If I leave her hair long, then when she goes to the bathroom will she get it on her?[/B]
even if you leave it short, eventually, somehow, its going to get on them :lol: we keep a box of baby wipes right beside the backdoor at all times

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
I have one more question: If I leave her hair long, then when she goes to the bathroom will she get it on her?[/B]
even if you leave it short, eventually, somehow, its going to get on them :lol: we keep a box of baby wipes right beside the backdoor at all times
[/B]
We call those dingleberries at my house :D heheheheh but they clean up pretty easily.
Welcome!!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Welcome to SM. We look forward to pictures and posts. I also would like to know if you are getting a boy or girl and if you have a name that you favor. Glad you joined us.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to SM. We look forward to pictures and posts. I also would like to know if you are getting a boy or girl and if you have a name that you favor. Glad you joined us.[/B]
She will be a female, and I named her Sugar...

·
Registered
802 Posts
well, Max's hair is short but he still gets his paw in pee or has something clinging to his butt once in a while. I always look, brown stands out pretty well against the white fur. That is what baby wet wipes are for. He has so far gotten used to my wiping his hiney. It's the runny stuff once in a while that can be kinda yucky but wet wipes do a great job on that too.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey welcome! Im 16 so we have that in common, its nice to know im not the youngest on here lol. I cant wait to see pictures of sugar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts