Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just became a new owner of my Abby that is 21/2 years old now I really need to know what books I need to take care of her . Abby has a lot of mats in her coat I have tryed brushing them out but not all if them are coming out , and abby has a puppy cut will her hair ever grow back out again . And brushing her teeth how do I do that????? Me and Abby need help on her caring .

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
First off congradualtions on getting your new baby. I can't wait to see pictures.

I can't help you finding a book.

If you do a search on this site you will find lots of post on different things that have worked for grooming.

Here are some of the things I have found that worked for me. Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (I use the PetSilk products). Spray on a leave in conditioner when you are brushing/combing. I have heard you should never brush there hair dry it can cause breakage. You should brush them everyday (I am usually luck if I do it twice a week).

The one thing that has really help Lexi and me is that when I find a mat and can't work it out I save Lexi and me the stress and just cut it out. I use a small rounded tip cuticle scissors. I figure it is not worth getting us both worked up over.

One thing that might help you is to go to a professional groomer and have her hair cut short (like 1/2 inch). This will allow you to start over mat free. I had to do this with Lexi about 1.5 months after I got her.

You will be amazed at how quickly the hair grows out. I had Lexi's hair cut to 1/2 inch and it grew an inch in 3 weeks. This is why it is so important to stay on top of the mats and brush/comb a couple of time a week even when they are in puppy cuts. If the hair is longer you need to brush/comb at least once a day. I am now cutting it myself (if you want info on that let me know).

There is a post in the grooming section about brushing teeth. It has a lot of suggestions in there on how to do it.

If you have any other questions let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 14 2004, 11:29 AM
First off congradualtions on getting your new baby.  I can't wait to see pictures.

If you do a search on this site you will find lots of post on different things that have worked for grooming. 

Here are some of the things I have found that worked for me.  Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (I use the PetSilk products).  Spray on a leave in conditioner when you are brushing/combing.  I have heard you should never brush there hair dry it can cause breakage.  You should brush them everyday (I am usually luck if I do it twice a week).

The one thing that has really help Lexi and me is that when I find a mat and can't work it out I save Lexi and me the stress and just cut it out.  I use a small rounded tip cuticle scissors.  I figure it is not worth getting us both worked up over.

One thing that might help you is to go to a professional groomer and have her hair cut short (like 1/2 inch).  This will allow you to start over mat free.  I had to do this with Lexi about 1.5 months after I got her. 

You will be amazed at how quickly the hair grows out.  I had Lexi's hair cut to 1/2 inch and it grew an inch in 3 weeks.  This is why it is so important to stay on top of the mats and brush/comb a couple of time a week even when they are in puppy cuts.  If the hair is longer you need to brush/comb at least once a day.  I am now cutting it myself (if you want info on that let me know).

There is a post in the grooming section about brushing teeth.  It has a lot of suggestions in there on how to do it.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9141
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off congradualtions on getting your new baby. I can't wait to see pictures.

Here are some of the things I have found that worked for me. Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner (I use the PetSilk products). Spray on a leave in conditioner when you are brushing/combing. I have heard you should never brush there hair dry it can cause breakage. You should brush them everyday (I am usually luck if I do it twice a week).

The one thing that has really help Lexi and me is that when I find a mat and can't work it out I save Lexi and me the stress and just cut it out. I use a small rounded tip cuticle scissors. I figure it is not worth getting us both worked up over.

One thing that might help you is to go to a professional groomer and have her hair cut short (like 1/2 inch). This will allow you to
this with Lexi about 1.5 months after I got her.

You will be amazed at how quickly the hair grows out. I had Lexi's hair cut to 1/2 inch and it grew an inch in 3 weeks. This is why it is so important to stay on top of the mats and brush/comb a couple of time a week even when they are in puppy cuts. If the hair is longer you need to brush/comb at least once a day. I am now cutting it myself (if you want info on that let me know).

There is a post in the grooming section about brushing teeth. It has a lot of suggestions in there on how to do it.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9141

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy. No book can really teach you how to groom. Maltese hair does grow back. You would need daily grooming to prevent mts. The best is to call some local breeders and see if they can give you some tips.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Keeton7;

There aren't to many books out there. Go to a big book store like Barnes and Noble or borders and you may find one or two. Take some time to look through them and see if they have the information you want. Spoiled Maltese has some great information as do others. One site I like a lot is Bhe-Jei Maltese I think they refer to a book or two written by Bobbie Linden. They also have a guide that tells you about other books you can look into.

You said Abby is 2 1/2 years old. If you know how she was groomed in the past (at home or groomer) that may help you. If she is covered with matts I would go have her put into a puppy cut by a groomer..... just be sure to check them out and explain exactly what you want. That way you can start fresh with her coat. If she was brushed by her previous owners she will probably do well, if not you will have to train her to "like it" ... this will take time and patcience and lots of treats and kisses but eventually she will tolerate brushing and this will keep the matts at bay.

Please keep us updated on what you do and be sure to post a picture/avatar, we all love to see all the "fur babies" :D

Judi

J

·
0 Posts
I have to agree with the others. Have her cut into a puppy cut. Start fresh. A good diet should also help. Plenty of advice here on that too. I also have Lacey brush her teeth once a day. I put doggy toothpaste on a baby toothbrush. Freeze it and then give it to her. She thinks it is a treat. Have your vet look at her teeth to make sure they are also clean...if not have the vet clean and start the daily brushing. Good luck and enjoy your new little one. You will be amazed at how much a part of your life will be around your dog. My coworkers think I am nuts!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts