Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

We have a new baby at our house. My husband surprised us last night with a little 4 month old half-moon conure. We had played with him earlier in the week at a local bird shop. He is already starting to talk, according to the bird shop he says "Hi Kermit" and "step up". It was so cute last night. I put him on the carpet so he ran over to my daughter's feet and very clearly said "step up".

As excited as the kids and I are about him, our dogs are not too happy. Angel spent the evening hiding under the chair. Tanner had to stay in his crate while the bird is out (he wanted to eat our cockatiel so we don't trust him).

By the way, we named him Kermit since he's already saying it. According to the pet shop one of the boarding birds name is Kermit.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats pretty awesome. its going to take time....but i think your dogs will eventually get used to kermit.
have you heard of the joke:

A man breaks into a house in the middle of the night. Whilst he''s
nicking all the family silver, he hears a voice behind him
saying "Jesus is watching you!". The burglar looks round but can''t
see anyone so continues to pack his swag bag. Once again he
hears "Jesus is watching you!"

This time curiosity gets the better of him and he risks turning on
the light to see a brightly colored parrot sat on a perch watching
him.
"Did you say that?" the burglar asks the parrot.
"Yes" replies the parrot.
"And what''s your name?" asks the burglar
"Moses" says the parrot.
"Moses!" exclaims the burglar, "What kind of idiot calls a parrot
Moses?"
"The same kind of idiot that calls their Rotwiller Jesus" replies the
parrot.

by: unknown

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't heard that joke before.

Things are actually going pretty smoothly.

I feel guilty for putting Tanner in his kennel everytime the bird comes out, but he can't be fully trusted.

Angel is showing some jealous interest. They've actually been face to face a few times. I'm hoping to get a picture to post with her and the bird. Angel is very non-aggressive so I feel pretty safe with her and the bird (I still won't be leaving them alone together).

This morning was very entertaining. The dog were playing with squeaky toys and chasing each other through the house. This sparked the bird's interest and he starting squaking(?sp?) up a storm. Talk about noise and chaos. The kids and I love it but my husband might think otherwise if he's trying to watch tv or talk to work on his cell.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i love that joke! im thinking of getting it written on a plaque, you know? or maybe a pillow. lol.

twingle--i totally know what you mean. we have a parakeet...and when the dogs bark or play with toys--she'll start chirping. its really cute. i think she thinks she's part of their pack.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Your bird sounds like a Hoot already! :D

And Doctorkathy, that was a really cute joke. Just wondering if you are attending vet school ? I noticed on MO that you had 'not a vet yet' also.
It takes a long time to finish vet school. Where are you going to school? I don't even know where the vet schools are. But then, I was a nurse, and actually my first ambition was to be a vet...close, but no cigar!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i cant wait till im a vet!
i totally want to go to shelters and do free exams and surgeries. i eventually want to have my own "pound/kennel" thing. so if there are stray dogs, i can get someone to train them while they wait for adoption, you know? i decided to be a vet in around july or august of last year. so im going to a junior college right now College of the Canyons. and you can go to www.avma.org to see the vet schools. there's 2 in california. UC Davis (thats where i wanna go) and Western University. so my plan is to go to my junior college for a couple more years transfer to UCLA (im actually going to try applying for next fall
so im a little nervous---i dont think i'll get in). so i'll be at UCLA for 2 years and then go to UC Davis. and be at UC Davis for 4 yrs and then im going to start up my own clinic and stuff. sooo...in 8 years i'll be able to provide free advice to all the members of spoiled maltese. :D i want to have an animal hospital in Valencia, Ca and make it 24 hrs and all that stuff (sorta like ASPCA on Animal Precint).

so you were a human nurse or a pet nurse? at Banfield hospital (the animal hopspitals connected to petsmart) call the vet assistants and vet techs "pet nurses".

im glad you liked the joke.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sorry I am a little late in replying Cathy. Haven't been on her for a day or so.
I was a human nurse for 34 years...and could I tell you some stories :eek:

I have a question for anyone who wishes to answer.
Maltese are notorious for being poor eaters (at least a few of them are).
Well, Sassi is one of these. I just wondered if there was any dog food that your dog would just GOBBLE UP !
She will eat her food good one day and then sometimes she will go for 2 days without eating...OH THE FOOD I HAVE THROWN AWAY !

She seems to do pretty good on Iams, but then she gets bored (or maybe I just think she does) so I will change her. I have even ground up that dried beef liver treats and sprinkled it over her food...that seems to help sometimes. And there have been many times where she will just lick off the liver and 'VIOLA' leaves the dog food <_<
At present we are eating 'Chicken Soup for the dogs Soul"
Someone on MO was trying to tell us posters what the name of it was and how good it was, and it was soooo funny...she wrote "it is a food that has something to do with the soul, and many books were written about this soul food".
Oh, the ways we had to beat around the bush. She was even brave to do that. But anyway, I figured it out. Sassi seems to eat it fairly well, but I would give my eye tooth to be able to just pour her a bowl of food and see her 'tear into it"...
I guess I should just be happy that she eats period!
Any ideas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Angel eats Nutro Natural Choice, chicken with rice (she also likes their lamb and rice small bites).

She ate Purina One lamb and rice for over a year but Tanner (dalmatian) has terrible skin allergies so we had to test new dog foods and I like to keep them on the same food if possible.

Fortunately she will eat any kind of dog food but she doesn't like hard dog biscuits.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico was a pretty decent eater (Nutro Max) until his liver ailment was diagnosed and he was put on L/D exclusively. He ate it well at first, then slowed down.

I have found that if we "jump-start" his appetite with a crust of my husband's whole wheat toast and a couple bites of my apple and peanut butter, he eats his breakfast of canned l/d most days. I've seen this happen at lunch also if we are lunching at home and we give him pea-bites of veggie or bread. He then turns to his plate of dry and munches on it.

I leave the dry l/d out all day and he snacks on it through the day, especially around 9 pm, don't ask me why, he seems to get a snack attack.

When I tried decreasing the amount of canned and increasing the dry, he lost 4 ounces and that is too much weight loss for him at 4.5 lbs so I went back to the old ratio.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Our two also like Nutro Natural Choice(petsmart) lamb and rice, and Royal Canin (petsmart) puppy kibble for small breeds, it has a yorkie on the cover, the kibble is really small and they eat it well. I know our vet had mentioned it is important that the kibble be really small because on the small breeds it hurts there jaw to eat the larger kibble and then they just give up on eating it?? So far so good on these two, it has been over a year and they still wolf it down. Hope your little one finds something it loves to eat...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Is anyone on Science Diet? Brinkley is on Science Diet puppy dry and canned. (as well as a dessert helping of the threads off the corner of my couch...
) Anyway, that is what our vet recommends, and our cats eat that too, but I would love to try something cheaper. I know with our cats...(three in the house) I was sold on the more expensive food b/c it made their litter box a little more acceptable. Not so much waste, and not so stinky either. I assumed the dog would be about the same...and since we are using the potty on pads inside, this sounded much better to me too. Anyway, some other suggestions would be nice...especially if they are more economical.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts

oh, i forgot to add...he eats the Science Diet, but he doesn't seem to love it. Seems to only eat when he is starving and realized nothing else is coming. Especially the dry kibble. He prefers the can, that is why I mix it, so he gets both.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy eats Science Diet and seems to like it okay. He's back to eating poop again so I'm thinking about mixing in something else with it to try to make up for whatever is lacking for him. I just got a 40lb bag of the Science Diet, so I'm not going to give up on it yet :lol:

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@Jul 23 2004, 07:05 PM
He's back to eating poop again so I'm thinking about mixing in something else with it to try to make up for whatever is lacking for him.
Funny, because...Brinkley doesn't eat his own poop, he heads for the cat box when the gate is inadvertently left open...

I can' t stand it when he gets up in my face, and he smells like cat litter!!!!

The good thing is that our cat box is electric, so he would have to be in there within 10 min of drop to get a treat..unless he figures out how to open the scooper bin...YUCK...
I hate to think that my sweet, beautiful little fluffybaby EATS POO!
So, if he was eating his own, it would be disturbing. Maybe b/c I usually catch it right in time...b/c I am home alot now. May not be so when I go back to work. He may be a poo eater too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts