Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have new pictures of Baxter to share.
I would also like to Thank everyone for such a warm welcome. This forum is truly addicting but I am learning so much. Baxter is scheduled to get his rabies shot next week our last shot till age one and is being groomed before hand. I take him to the groomer every three weeks or so because I am not comfortable trying it myself yet and the hair around his eyes need trimming. We are fighting some awful tear staining at the present
but our vet says not to worry for now. She believes it could be related to teething. She also suggested we wait about neutering until we she how his teeth come in. She feels putting him to sleep once if we wait she can take care of everything necessary. Hope everyone enjoys the pics as much as I have enjoyed looking at everyone elses. As for the bow in Baxters hair, yes I know he is a boy but they are just so cute. My husband hates them!!!! says boys aren't suppose to wear bows but I just can't resist. (sometimes
)

http://usera.imagecave.com/dharris/Baxter/scan0004Baxter.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/dharris/Baxter/scan0005Baxter.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/dharris/Baxter/scan0006Baxter.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/dharris/Baxter/scan0007Baxter.jpg

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
He is beautiful with or without bows! I love bows on the boys! You can get very elegant, handsome show bows in black, red, more masculine colors or even buy "boy bows" with baseballs, dinosaurs, etc.

How old is Baxter now? How much does he weigh?

I know many owners of male maltese don't advise waiting to neuter since it seems that if it's done early (around 5 or 6 months MAX) there is less likelyhood that he will start marking. It can be a very difficult habit to break and neutering after the fact does not always stop it.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Baxter is a cute little puppy. Your vet is right. The tear staining could be from teething. Sometimes teeths have to be pulled. By waiting with neutering until the teeth are in, you avoid having him put under twice. They can take care of everything at the same time. Cheaper and safer. When Alex had his knee surgery last week, I had them done a dental too to avoid another anesthesia.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jan 12 2005, 12:29 PM
He is beautiful with or without bows! I love bows on the boys! You can get very elegant, handsome show bows in black, red, more masculine colors or even buy "boy bows" like this:

How old is Baxter now? How much does he weigh?

I know many owners of male maltese don't advise waiting to neuter since it seems that if it's done early (around 5 or 6 months MAX) there is less likelyhood that he will start marking. It can be a very difficult habit to break and neutering after the fact does not always stop it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29263
[/QUOTE]

Baxter will be 5 months old on Jan. 25 and he weighs 2.8 lbs. The breeder recommended that I neuter him before he was 6 months so he would act just like a little girl, but when I ask my vet to neuter him she wanted to wait. I respect her decision, I just hope it is for the best. The vet said that he should not begin to mark his territory before 6 months. I am not sure. Baxters hormones are setting in, I mean he has a stuffed animal we refer to as his "girlfriend" because of his actions. He has within the last two weeks started to hike his leg when he pee's instead of squatting as before. This really has began to worry me, that maybe we are waiting a little late and that soon he will begin to mark his territory. If that happens, weighing the pros and cons I much rather try to break a bad habit as to risk possible complications putting him to sleep twice. I just hope she will neuter him before there is a habit to break.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by DanaH@Jan 12 2005, 12:08 PM
I have new pictures of Baxter to share. 

He is absolutely adorable! BTW if you want your images to show up in your post just put
at the end.

PS the "size=7" is showing up because there needs to be [/size] at the end of the part you want to enlarge.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Where in TN are you from? I'm from Nashville!
Maybe you should call your Vet and tell them that your baby's marking and she if she STILL thinks you should wait get Baxter neutered.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Jan 12 2005, 03:21 PM
Where in TN are you from?  I'm from Nashville!
  Maybe you should call your Vet and tell them that your baby's marking and she if she STILL thinks you should wait get Baxter neutered. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29298
[/QUOTE]

I'm from Dyer (Gibson County). Are you familar with this area? Thanks for the advice.
I believe I will give her a call this afternoon.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It certainly won't hurt to check in with your vet. It sounds like he's going to be a tiny one if he's only 2.8 pounds now so I doubt he'll make that 4 pound mark any time soon. It sounds like he is on the verge of sexual maturity and is ready to be neutered in that respect.

It's a tough call.

I would think your vet would be able to tell about retained baby teeth at 5&1/2 months, though, if that is the main issue. You hate to expose such a little one to anesthesia twice but dealing with marking and other undesirable male behavior can be difficult.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
what an adorable little man!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Dont you worry... I bought Kodie some BOWS!!! Blue of course! I am growing his hair out in the front so he can wear them!! I'm excited! I never put a bow in his head before..haha.. only a rubber band. I say go for it! Just try to stay away from PINK!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico was 8 months old before he was neutered. He's almost 4 now. They removed his retained baby teeth at the same time. He does not mark (except one time over the holidays when we stayed at my daughters for a week and she recently got a male cocker spaniel puppy......so Pico absolutely shocked me when he walked over to her curtains and casually lifted his leg and peed on the curtain!)

He does hump his stuffed kitty, though. Usually in the evening and in his bed. It's like a "date", I guess. Other than that he's never humped any thing or anybody else.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jan 13 2005, 09:16 AM
Dont you worry... I bought Kodie some BOWS!!!  Blue of course!  I am growing his hair out in the front so he can wear them!!  I'm excited!  I never put a bow in his head before..haha..  only a rubber band.  I say go for it!  Just try to stay away from PINK! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29452
[/QUOTE]

I can't even imagine how cute that already to-die-for-cute Kodie will look with his bows!

They have great bows for boys out there! Look what Val's got on Ebay for boys right now:

http://stores.ebay.com/Vals-Diva-Dos_Bows-...QQsclZallQQtZkm

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by LadysMom+Jan 13 2005, 02:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kodie
@Jan 13 2005, 09:16 AM
Dont you worry... I bought Kodie some BOWS!!!  Blue of course!  I am growing his hair out in the front so he can wear them!!  I'm excited!  I never put a bow in his head before..haha..  only a rubber band.  I say go for it!  Just try to stay away from PINK! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29452
I can't even imagine how cute that already to-die-for-cute Kodie will look with his bows!

They have great bows for boys out there! Look what Val's got on Ebay for boys right now:

http://stores.ebay.com/Vals-Diva-Dos_Bows-...QQsclZallQQtZkm
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29533
[/B][/QUOTE]

Great Bows!! :D Thanks I also looked at Bows By Beth on Ebay she had some cute bows for boys also. I have a couple groomer style bows and one with a football on it but Baxter can not wear it. I must be doing something wrong. It has a barrette unstead of bands and it appears to be to heavy. I am trying to let his topknot grow out but not sure how long I can stand it. He has short sprigs that get loose when pulled up and if left down, it is in his face. Any suggestions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts