Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, I am to a point where I really dont' care what anyone thinks. He enjoys the attention and I enjoy giving it to him when I brush him all out and put his hair up. When he is done, he starts wagging his tail and he climbs up on me as high as he can get so everyone in the house can see how gorgeous he looks, now does that sound like a baby who doesn't love it? :lol:
I have yet to come across one Maltese Baby who hasn't had an air "royalty" to them, so why not treat them as they are? I love them all, no matter what. They deserve to be primped and shown off! And I agree with the first statement made about them being a first class dog and people are not used to that. K, so I won't call him my "Barbie Doll" anymore, that I will stand corrected on that, he will be my little "Ken Doll"! :lol:

·
Registered
346 Posts
BTW, I do not limit myself anymore to just blue bows, why should I? They ask no matter and now I can use a variety. I will be honest and say I do still tend to shy away from pink, but with his beautiful white coat, Burgundys and Hunter greens look wonderful against it, especially now, at Christmas time! Plaids are another that are gorgeous on them. Here is a place I have gone to purchase bows, hope you find something you like, I know I did, a little too many! (Almost broke my wallet when I got done! lol)

http://www.myshelties.com/index/indexx.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
:eek: Shoot....... when you come across those butinskis again... tell 'em he WAS a male, but got fixed and is one of the girls now!!...malt

·
Registered
346 Posts
Lets' see if I can go down the list lol

#1. I haven't seen camouflage bows anywhere, but if I do, I will post the sight for you. k? lol

#2. Once a week to once every two weeks, depending how bad he needs it or how busy I can get now with two to bathe and groom

#3. Nothing but Pet Silk for my babies, I use their moisturizing shampoo & conditioner and about once a month their Whitening shampoo & conditioner

#4. Never take him to the groomer, do it all myself. I enjoy doing it and he enjoys my doing it too.

#5. Every chance I get, I walk him..three dogs to walk at once can be quite a handful, so I try to get out when my husband can help me walk them, a couple times a week as long as it is nice out. (No rain) I read up that they really dont' need walking, they make great apartment pets, they get enough exercise from playing because they are a small breed, but I think that like any animal, even Humans, they enjoy the freedom of running and the fresh air and sunshine, so as often as I can get them out, I do.

·
Registered
382 Posts
She made it. I know this sounds odd but my when nephew got married (he's an avid hunter) they choose cammo as the color for the wedding. My
sister in law made the vest and bowties. She made Bentley's bowtie at my request. It's small and has velcro for safety. I just put it on him for play, it's kind of like a colar but the bow part is of course on the front. I will tell you that the black bowtie and putting his hair up in a black scrunnci looks really great on a male.

I have used human shampoo on Bentley at times. I prefer the petsilk but I have used citre shine and like the results also Mane and tail conditioner works good on him. Now on my yorkie the petsilk products are not impressive.It's Just another shampoo on her, nothing special and I'm still looking for a great product for yorkies. I think I'll try coat handler next.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Joe I hope your finger is okay!!

I cannot believe people get upset about a male 'toy' dog wearing bows! Its not even their dog!! Talk about having NO life!! :wacko: I can maybe understand if it was a male large breed dog wearing bows! lol!! :lol: If people ask me why I have his hair up or bows, i'm going to tell them that he a metrosexual...
I like the camo bow, that sounds cool! I saw this site and they had a black tee w/a (not scary) looking scull & crossbones on it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
puppyluv, look at the full size Poodles in the dog shows, they wear 'em and so do the shitzus, yorkies and the malts. so why not ours? They are a very dainty breed and you only know it is a male if you ask. I just keep buying more bows and just keep right on putting them on him and if people don't like it, they dont' have to look at him. He also has his days where he looks like a little boy too. He had little hats, and sweaters and shirts that are all male, no one comments on that except to say they think it is stupid that I dress him up. Again, I say too bad, he loves it and I do too and that is all that counts. I love going to the gallery on here and looking at all of the pics of the babies all dressed up. I think they are adorable and sweet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So true, I meant some larger breeds like a german shepard, etc... wouldn't match a bow too much. A bandanna maybe. :D I'm planning for mine to wear sweaters and have his hair up too!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@May 22 2004, 10:29 PM
I am looking for some bows for Toby that are camouflage.  I think that would get the point across that he is a HE!
I found this lady on ebay. She makes bows for boys and will do special order. Her prices are great and the quality is excellent. You can email her. Tell her I sent you. Her name is Beth and her email is [email protected]-her ebay store site is...www.stores.ebay.com/bowsbybeth.

Good Luck.
Traci Lunn
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
you're welcome! I just think Toby has the CUTEST face...he is so white! I know that sounds silly...but he is just precious!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
actually I have him now....my profile needs to be updated. I am not sure how to post pics on this one yet. Will work on that. I am wanting to wait until his hair grows some. The groomer, (who obviously had never done a maltese before) butchered his face. It looks cute to me...b/c he is my baby, but it really needs to grow back out around his mouth and under his chin. I was a little disappointed. Anyway, will get one on soon. Thanks for all the tips. I may try some of the "walmart" brand blonde shampoo-i know they have some detangling stuff in the ultimate blonde brand that I use on my daughter's hair to help with the brushing and it makes it SO soft. I hadn't thought of using human stuff. lol
I also use peroxide on Brinkley's tearing, but it is really hard to keep up with. I guess I am going to have to do it morning and night until we get it under control. I have some whitening shampoo also, I may try it to wash his face at night and see if it works as well as it does with Toby.
Thanks again for the tips.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
well, i figured out how to add a pic. This is one the breeder sent me before I got him. He is about 12-13 weeks old in this picture. This is pre-grooming of course. I will try to get some digital shots and get a new one up soon. Maybe just will add one to the picture album.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Well, the picture I took my groomer was of a CUTE puppy cut from a maltese personal website...Mimi and Coco I think-
anyway, their cuts were precious! I will send you the site...http://www.geocities.co.jp/AnimalPark-Lucky/1120/
when she saw the picture, she said..."that looks more like a bichon"-then she preceded to get out a dog breed book and show me a picture of maltese. DUH!!!! Like I didn't know!!! I was polite, but not thrilled. I said, "that is a maltese in a full coat, I would like a puppy cut, more like this picture"-I even explained that I knew his coat was not ready to look like that, but I wanted to aim toward it. Instead, she butchered him. She just KEPT trimming his face and beard b/c she couldn't get it to look even. I stayed b/c it was his first time and I really thought I could learn some tricks to do it myself, but I didn't. I am going to try a groomer in the next town over next time. We are very rural and no one around here grooms full time. I would have to drive almost an hour. Most cut people hair full time and groom dogs part time. So, I will probably learn to do it myself somehow. I will just have to have my husband's help. Definetely need more than two hands!

We have had him almost 2 weeks now. The kids are great with him. My son more than my daughter. She is not much on the puppy kisses in the face, and the puppy rompiness. She has had to learn that she cannot be with him like she is with the cats. She can put the cats down and they land on their feet...Brinkley does not! Scares me to death. I caught her just drop him from her arms one time and I flipped! I knew she was doing it just like she did the cats...and they manage fine...don't know the difference. She was really scared/shocked at my being so scared, so I don't think she will do that again.

Grooming question-
When you wash Toby's face with the whitening shampoo, how do you do it? With a washcloth? How do you get all the soap out, or do you? I don't rinse the peroxide...I just dip a toothbrush in the bottle and brush his hair under his eyes really carefully. He is starting to get used to the routine and keeps really still. I am going to need to clip some hairs off this time. They say that boy dogs can tear more when they start to hit maturity...closer to 6 months I think...if I remember right, and when they are teething. I have found it really hard to stay on top of. I am going to try the distilled water trick and see if that helps any. The "other" forum said alot about that.

Brinkley says hi to Toby and is envious of his fluffy white face...he he.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts