Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

new puppy!-At what age should you crate your maltese

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  llf060787 
Hi!! So glad you joined SM!! :) Zoe is precious!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard the rule about puppies being able to hold their pee being correlated to their age. Meaning if she is 1 month, then they can hold for 1 hour, 2 months for 2 hours, etc.

And please correct me, anyone, if I'm wrong....but yes, I heard the same rule of thumb - (someone actually posted it in response to something I had posted but I can't find it now) - except I think I remember it being "1 hour MORE than their age in months" - i.e. if they're 1 month old then they can hold it for 2 hours, if they're 2 months old, they can hold it for 3 hours, etc. - but I may be remembering wrong. But then of course, you have to account for their small bladder and so on. And then also, they go and throw you off by holding it almost all night....I guess at night it's a bit different though, since they're most likely not drinking.
Actually Kitkat, what you said sounds more like it! Thanks for the correction. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.