Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I've had 2 Maltese for over a year now. They've put up with each other through a lot of stuff, but never really bonded like other dogs that live together.

I just got a new puppy last week, and the tension is real high right now. All of a sudden, it seems as if they're competing for love. As if they might be replaced! I feel it's silly, but what should I do? I treat them all equally and spoil them all the same. LoL. When I leave for school or to run errands, they try to single out the new one. Even when they sleep, they go to the opposite end and sleep together side by side… leaving the new guy by himself.

As much as I love to see them bond after a year, it saddens me that the new puppy is being left out. That makes me want to give the little one more attention, but it would probably make the other 2 dislike him even more! =/ Has anyone ever had this problem? What would you recommend me to do?

Cindy

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I don't have any suggestions but want to say hello and tell you that the photo in your signature is adorable!

·
Registered
545 Posts
It won't last long. Mine all had a hard time adjusting to a new one in the home.
My big ol' red heeler was scared to death of Wally when we brought him home. Now he tolerates him. It just takes a little time.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Baxter and Wally's Mom@Nov 11 2005, 04:08 PM
It won't last long. Mine all had a hard time adjusting to a new one in the home.
My big ol' red heeler was scared to death of Wally when we brought him home. Now he tolerates him. It just takes a little time.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118997
[/QUOTE]

I hope not. The first night was the toughest. Both of mines were terrified of Balls. Every move Balls made, my other two ran as fast as their little 4 paws could carry them. LoL. Now it seems like my girl dog seems to follow Balls around everywhere and just sniff him and rest her head over him. It seems like she's trying to dominate him?

Your babies all look so playful in the picture! Jack seems to just be a loner in the background... Awww... =]

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Sounds like the girl is warming up to him. There is hope!

By the way! I'm vietnamese too! And our birthday's a day apart. Although our birth year is pretty far apart! LOL.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Three dogs make a pack? right?? There is going to be some adjusting for them to figure out who is the leader amongst them (as long as you are the top dog).

If they let the pup dominate, she will. Give it time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
I would not leave the puppy by itself untill you are sure "the jealousy phase is over. These guys are delicate as you know from already having two Malts. Just reassure your older ones and make sure your new baby is cofortable too.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by DoraClemens@Nov 11 2005, 05:49 PM
Hi
I would not leave the puppy by itself untill you are sure "the jealousy phase is over. These guys are delicate as you know from already having two Malts. Just reassure your older ones and make sure your new baby is cofortable too.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119034
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for answering everyone! They seem to be warming up to him now, but I think they're a little overwheled and maybe trying to figure him out? Around here, I'm the only one with dogs so they're not used to seeing other dogs... just people. Does anyone ever get those sillie barks from when they look in the mirror? LoL. My BALLS is working himself up over it. =] It's so funny because he actually charges his feet back like a little bull too! Hehe.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
They'll settle into relationships over time. I have three - our oldest doesn't really like puppies, but he warmed up to Sylphide and Shrek very quickly. At first he kept somewhat of a distance when we brought Shrek home, but not for long. They all hang out together now. Shrek, the baby, is actually guilty of being a meanie to Ozzy, the oldest. Shrek is always lunging at him, vying to be top middle dog. There's no reason for him to do that though. Ozzy is very submissive and quite happy to be #3 - he just ignores Shrek's attacks and pretends nothing happened. Sylphide is the real boss - she keeps Shrek in line, but doesn't have to do that with Ozzy, who adores her.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Nov 11 2005, 10:31 PM
How long has Balls been home?  They usually warm up after a while
  Just takes a little time.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119077
[/QUOTE]

Hi! He's been here for only a week. =] I'm sure it takes time... but I just feel so bad when no one plays with him. If I played with him, the other 2 gives me that look of betrayal! LoL. It's so hard with the spoiled ones! =]

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Sylphide and Shrek's Mom@Nov 11 2005, 11:24 PM
They'll settle into relationships over time.  I have three - our oldest doesn't really like puppies, but he warmed up to Sylphide and Shrek very quickly.  At first he kept somewhat of a distance when we brought Shrek home, but not for long.  They all hang out together now.  Shrek, the baby, is actually guilty of being a meanie to Ozzy, the oldest.  Shrek is always lunging at him, vying to be top middle dog.  There's no reason for him to do that though.  Ozzy is very submissive and quite happy to be #3 - he just ignores Shrek's attacks and pretends nothing happened.  Sylphide is the real boss - she keeps Shrek in line, but doesn't have to do that with Ozzy, who adores her.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119082
[/QUOTE]

OMG I feel this is exactly what I'm going through! LoL. I have 2 boys and the little one is real fiesty! He wants control of everything! The girl is the only one that challenges him though. My biggest boy is the easiest. He doesn't have a single care in the world, and he is super happy being a bum. =] I think it's real cool that they have order. I'm reading an e-book, and it says that they feel more secure and happy with the ranks they have. So far, it's a pretty good e-book for the price. Let me know if you are interested!

·
Registered
88 Posts
That picture really is *so* cute!

I'm not sure about their behavior. I only have one dog, and he's still a puppy. Maybe you can try letting each dog try to get to know the little puppy on their own. For example, take one of the older dogs away for a an hour or so (for some private TLC) and see if the pup and other dog start interacting? Then switch with the other older dog.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts