Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. My name is DiDi and I will be bringing home my little Maltese baby named MuShu home in 4 weeks. I've been living on this board and reading every website and book out there! I STILL have questions b/c I want to do the whole crate training and paper training thins right!

#1: At 8 weeks, I've read that Maltese can only stay in the crate for a max of 2 hours per day? Is that accurate? So where am I supposed to put him the rest of the 12 hrs of the day (except sleeping which he will do in the crate). Should I lease him to my belt? If I do leash him, is 8 weeks too soon to be leashed?

#2: During the night for an 8 week old, how often should I be taking him out to go potty? I've read every 2 or 4 hrs...or should I only take him out when he whines? I don't mind ME not sleeping but I don't want to wake MuShu up every 2 hrs if he doesn't need to go at all.

Please help me out. I want to be as prepared as possible before bringing little MuShu home! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

By leashing...I mean leashing to me IN DOORs so he doesn't leave my site. Or is that too excessive. Is it better to just leave him gated in the kitchen instead of leashing him to me?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Hi and welcome!!! Congrats on little Mushu, cute name!!!!!

I would take him out when he wakes up, after he eats/drinks, after play time, and before bed. He might need to go out in the middle of the night too. I don't think i would take him out every time he whines because he'll learn to whine whenever he wants to go out regardless if he needs to potty. You could get an exercise pen to set up in whatever room you spend most your time or try baby gates to keep him in a small area where you can watch him. I found that Peanut liked having the crate, so he spends however much time he wants in there. I don't keep him locked up for more than 4 hours though. at night, since he's already trained i leave the door closed but not latched so he can go and play on the carpet in my room if he wants. He's old enough that I trust him to hang out unsupervised. You could leash him to you also. At 8 weeks I wouldn't let him walk outside though. Not until he's had all his shots. To train him for the leash just let him wear his harness around the house for a few minutes here and there until he gets used to it and then longer. After he's used to it, attach the leash and let him drag it around until he gets used to that. Then you can start practicing walking with the leash. It may not happen right away but let him lead you around for a while and then you can start to practice having Mushu walk where you want him to go. Good luck! I'm kinda rushing but I wanted to respond to you. Congrats on your new pup and Welcome to SM DiDi!!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
He should not be crated more than 2-3 hours at a time. If you need to run errands in the morning and run out in the afternoon, it is fine to crate him at those times and then at night, too.

Leashing him to you in the house is a GREAT way to do things as he is always right there yet can be out and about.

If you are paper training, an x-pen might be a nice place for him to have some space to move yet be close to his papers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for all your responses. Mushu met his Daddy today and it was WONDERFUL. He has yet to meet his Mommy (me!). Cannot wait!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts