Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking all over in the forums and can't seem to find a thread on what you need when you get your puppy. I have a list made from threads here and there, but there is no all in one thread. There are a handful of us that are getting ready for a puppy, but haven't had a maltese before and don't know what we need. If there is a thread on this already, can someone please post the link or tell me where I can find it?

I think it would be great for members to post products they use on a regular basis and would recommend to new puppy owners.

Also, what should a maltese first aid kit consist of?

Thanks in advance. :blush:

·
Registered
268 Posts
This is a good question: luckily my mom, who got me my puppy, put together a scavenger hunt for me with products and supplies at every clue station so I didn't have to think about it much myself.

But upon reflection here are the main things I'd suggest:

A cozy puppy bed that the fluff can grow into, especially one that fits on your bed if you want to do any kind of co-sleeping, you don't want to roll on your little one.

Grooming wipes or freshening spray for their coat, especially their little paws and face

Good grooming combs for their coat and their face, I like to use eyebrow/eyelash brushes but I know there are some combs made for this purpose. You want the little one to get used to being groomed early on.

An adjustable halter and leash

Food bowls that are easy to clean and right for the puppy's size, I also have a little mat for the bowls so the spills don't get all over.

Puppy-friendly treats and a good quality puppy food, try to steer clear of grains because of tendencies toward allergies.

Chew toys and soft toys, a nice assortment.

Puppy toothpaste and toothbrushing tools

Whitening shampoo and conditioner, I use some stuff from Petco, but I'm sure there are some higher quality options in the grooming threads.

I also got a coat and a sweatshirt for my puppy at first but we got her at the beginning of November and so wanted to keep her warm when she was so young so if dressing the pup isn't your thing, I would still recommend a coat of some sort.

A puppy carrier and a puppy crate

Puppy wee pads

I think that's the complete list of things I got when Bernie first joined our family, I'm sure others will add to it or subtract from it, but this is a really good thread!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting your list! That was SO nice of your mom to put together that scavenger hunt for you! That would be fun! :D

I have a couple things on my list...

Spa lavish facial scrub
Madan brush
Clicker and clicker training book
Puppy play pen
flea comb
hair coloring mixing bottles (for the shampoos and conditioners)
Urine Gone kit
Nutrical
Earthbath shampoo and wipes

I know I'm still missing important stuff though... :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts