Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so upset, just need to vent. My husband totally freaked out last night about the new puppy we are supposed to get next week. He is worried about socialization and potty training, and how the new dog will fit in. He wanted a second dog and playmate for Quincy as much as me--now, I just don't know. I guess I kept him too informed about the whole Hollybelle mess, and now he thinks all breeders might not be legit and the dogs normal. Don't know why, Quincy is perfect, and our former Maltese, although from a BYB, was wonderful (just tons of health issues). I let the breeder know (guess maybe I shouldn't?), cause she is WONDERFUL and I just don't know about my husband right now. I am totally upset, I already am attached to the little guy and kind of have been thinking of a name (and my husband has too). I just don't know how this is going to go, now the breeder may not think I am a good enough home for her puppy--but I wanted to let her know what was going on. Everyone please keep there fingers crossed that my husband settles down and the breeder doesn't change her mind! (I guess telling her was stupid---but hey, I tend to be honest and upfront)
Quincymom

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Personally, I think it's much better to have some second thoughts and doubts about going through potty training again, how another dog will adjust, etc. before getting another puppy. I think too many people get caught up in the excitement and rush into it, and don't think it through completely.

Two dogs is twice as money every year for vaccinations, heartworm prevention, etc. It's twice as much money to board two dogs and can really influence vacation plans. You mentioned that your first Maltese had a lot of health issues. Maybe your husband is worried about that possibilty and how it will effect the family finances. There are a lot of thing to consider before adding a new member to your family, one that will hopefully be part of it for many, many years.

For that reason, I believe that everyone in the family should be totally convinced it's a good idea before taking the big step. If the timing isn't right, wait until it is. I considered adopting another one about a year after I adopted Lady. I am so glad I didn't now. I would never have been able to afford her huge vet bills with 2, plus as her little personality has bloomed, she loves to be the only one, a spoiled and pampered little girl that gets to go everywhere with mom!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i remember almost having an anxiety attack the night before i got sprite, and the night before we got ellie, AND the night before we got gruffi. :wacko:

it happens. dont worry!!

the breeder knows your a responsible parent, and its best that she knows what's going on. i remember the person we bought the girls from was asking us all kinds of questions. and when we got ellie(which happened 9 months after we got sprite) the lady saw sprite and knew that we were a good family, you know?

and you know the consequences of having a puppy...you guys are just saying it outloud. lol. :D

i hope everything goes through, i know you're worried. good luck!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww I'm sorry to hear that you and your hubby's so worried. It seems as though you guys have been planning this a while. I also got Noriko so that ButterCloud could have a buddy.

Did you guys take a look at your potential new baby's parents? Did that not help ease your mind a little?

I think you didn't do anything wrong by telling the breeders your concerns. It shows that you really care. I don't think she'll change her mind about you, and if so, then she might have done you a favor. If she's a good breeder, she should be able to ease your mind.

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I remember being in a panic before I got Catcher to join Kallie and me.... so many things to worry about .... But I am soooo glad i went ahead and did it. If we let every negative possibility rule our world then we would never do anything. There are always things that could go wrong, etc. but we can't let those thoughts keep us from moving forward with something that felt right at one time.

I love having two babies. It is a great dynamic.... such fun watching them play. And it's twice the kisses for me!

Good luck... keep us posted.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New puppy, YES!!!
My husband was so apologetic yesterday when I came home from work, thought about it all day, saw how lonely and adorable Quincy was, and wondered how he ever thought it wouldn't work with two! The breeder was wonderful--so understanding, she didn't make me feel stupid or flaky and our new little boy is arriving on Friday! Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you all for listening and your support--it meant so much-
Quincymom

J

·
0 Posts
My husband had the same reaction about Lacey. Even when we went to visit Lacey at the breeders he was a little heldback. He even told me she was my dog and I was the one who would be responsible for her. I know my husband and have never seen him be mean to another person or animal so I knew he would never mistreat Lacey. Lacey has been with us for 5 months now and I can tell you that he just loves Lacey. He takes very good care of her and she has become his little buddy. He has even gone so far as to tell me I can't dress Lacey in yellow because it makes her hair look dingy! These little dogs are so hard to resist. Haven't ran into a person yet who just doesn't fall in love with Lacey.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by jami@Oct 23 2004, 01:56 PM
These little dogs are so hard to resist.  Haven't ran into a person yet who just doesn't fall in love with Lacey.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13010
[/QUOTE]

My cousin took Noriko home with her once. She said her roommate's bf tried not to like her because she looked like a girly dog. But, she kept coming to him wanting to play with him. He tried not to like her but he eventually gave in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts