Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi! I am new to this site, this is my first question!

I just got a maltese/yorkie mix a month ago. She is 4 months old, and she was papertrained and had never been outside before I got her. I am trying to train her to go outside, and she HATES it out there. She just gets so scared and wants to come in. I have tried the 'grass' scented pads, and i have tried bringing a sock outside with her scent. She just doesn't get why we are out there! She still uses the pads inside when she has to go, so at least she has that. I know its hard to have her doing both, but I am afraid to just take the pads away right now. Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Marcie, hi!! We trained Sisse to go outside. She had started inside with the wee pads, we just moved them closer and closer to the back door. We would move the wee pad a short distance each day or 2. By the time we got it to the back door we left it there for a few more days. Then we were able to put the pad 1/2 way in and 1/2 way out the door. Then a few days later we left the door open and put the wee pad out on the porch. After a few days of having the door opened we shut it. She started to go to the door and whine to go outside. She has a doggie door there now and is able to come and go as she needs to. She has NEVER gone on the bare ground though, she hates that. She still uses the wee pads on the back porch. Just give it time, it'll work out!!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hello and welcome!
Tini was trained on puppy pads and she is now going outside. It is a process changing them over, but I really like it now that she does outside. I personally feel like she has way more bladder control because she just can't pee whenever she wants whereever she wants.

I think CaesarsMom was the one who mentioned getting the Potty-Training Spray. You can get it at any petstore. First start spraying it on the pad and she will get used to the scent and then spray it outside on your grass and she will just know that's where she is supposed to go.

Are you taking her to the same place everytime? This also helps!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The idea of slowly moving the pad outside is a good one. Also, work separately on taking her outdoors and making it a positive experience. Get some really yummy treats and take her out someplace quiet just for a minute and give her treats, do a little obedience, and go back inside. Taking some of the pressure off from you wanting her both to be outside and to potty may help her relax. Once she is comfortable being outside and begins to explore on her own and go for short walks, bring the wee wee pad out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts