Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here are a few of my questions... I tried searching and couldn't find it on the archives.

1.Is it bad to feed him warm milk?

2. Last night his poop was really soft, to the point where afterwards I had to give him a bath because it stuck all in his hair.. could that be from the milk, or is it from me switching his wet food completely and not thinking about it? And how can I help get rid of it?

3.How long does it take for him to learn his own name? I have a book called "Training Your Pint Sized Companion" and it says I should say his name about 3 tims and give him a treat, and then he will like his namee, but that hasn't seemed to work.

Thanks. I thought by reading this website months and months before a puppy I'd know pretty much everything basic, but I guess not lol.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Have you taken your puppy to the vet yet? That really should be done in the first 48 hours or so, just to have his general health checked, a "meet and greet" of sorts. The your vet can answer a lot of the questions that you are bound to have in the beginning.

Loose stools could be caused by his food, internal parasites or many things. Your vet will probably want to check your puppy for worms. It could be caused by the quick switch in foods. Your breeder should have sent you home with the food he was used to eating. Any switch should be made gradually, especially in a puppy.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
How old is he? I've never heard of giving puppies milk. If he has been weaned from his mother I don't think you should give him milk. That would explain the runny stoll. He should be eating dry dog food (can be softened with a little water if need be) or canned dog food. The only liquid he needs is water.

When you switch dog foods you need to do it gradually or you can really upset their stomaches. Try feeding him some boiled hamburger/chicken and some boiled rice. There should be twice as much rice as meat in the mixture. Do this for a day or so, during that time no other food or treats. It will give his stomach a break and will help with the runny stoll. After a day or so give him a little bit of his food in with the mixture at first. The next meal have more of his food and less of the rice/meat mixture.

When ever you switch food (canned or dry) you need to do so gradually over the course of a week or two. This will help prevent upsetting the puppy's stomach.

As for his name if he is still young just keep using it and he will catch on soon.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy.

I would never give a puppy or even an adult dog milk unless it is either watered down evaporated or special puppy milk. Cows milk is bad for their intestines and can cause dreadful watery poop and inflamation of the intestines. My vet always said that cows milk is for calves and is too rich for our little fukids as the lactose is not well tolerated by dogs or cats in spite of what we often read and see.

If you call your puppy by name consistantly it will take no time at all for him to recognize it and start to respond.

Switching food should be done gradually by introducing the new food in very small amounts along with the old food until your puppy can adjust to the new one, this way it may not cause adverse effects on his stomach.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a video on positive training, one of the sections for getting them
to know their name and associate with a good thing is say their name once,
if you have to make a funny sound to get them to look at you that is fine, but make sure you only say their name once and then as soon as they look at you
click (clicker training) or praise and treat. Repeat a couple times a;waus ending on
a positive note and then just practice throughout the day or week.

This associates the dog with his name and also teaches him/her to respond with his name being said ONCE because you don't want to say his name a million times
in order to get his attention.

The video had a lot of really good info on it, DVD it is called
Train Your Dog--the POSITIVE GENTLE method- with Nicole Wilde and Laura Bourhenne

they have lots of stuff in there and just make it look sooo much fun plus with the DVD you can just go to the segment that you want to work on rather than have to flip through the whole movie.

I think I got it at Amazon.com

·
Registered
140 Posts
I give my puppies Goats milk for as long as they want it. They start receiving it at 4 weeks old and I still have a couple who, as adults, feel neglected if they do not get their goats milk. However, I have found that most vets immediately tell my pet people to get their puppies off of the goats milk......really irks me a bit. It is high in calories which small puppies need and has natural sugars which young puppies need. It is also rich in calcium which the toy breeds, with all of their teeth problems, seem to need.

Cows milk is not even tolerated by a lot of humans little lone other species of animals other than calves, of course. But goats milk is very tolerated and easily digested with very few problems.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Originally posted by Vanitysmom@Oct 14 2005, 02:18 PM
I give my puppies Goats milk for as long as they want it.  They start receiving it at 4 weeks old and I still have a couple who, as adults, feel neglected if they do not get their goats milk.  However, I have found that most vets immediately tell my pet people to get their puppies off of the goats milk......really irks me a bit.  It is high in calories which small puppies need and has natural sugars which young puppies need.  It is also rich in calcium which the toy breeds, with all of their teeth problems, seem to need.

Cows milk is not even tolerated by a lot of humans little lone other species of animals other than calves, of course.  But goats milk is very tolerated and easily digested with very few problems.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=109716
[/QUOTE]

Wow..this is interesting. Thanks for the information! This may be a stupid question, but do you get goats milk from a grocery store? I think that givng a little bit of this is a really great suggestion for keeping their teeth healthy, as you said.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use the canned "MEYENBERG" brand of goats milk that can be bought in most grocery stores and can be found by the other canned milk products. I buy this by the case and always have it on hand. Meyenberg also has goats milk that can be bought by the carton which is kept with the other refrigerated milk items. I prefer the cans because they last forever as long as they don't get froze....keeping them in your unheated garage in the winter time is a no no....LOL

·
Registered
140 Posts
I forgot.....when using the canned milk, it is one can of milk to at least one can of water. Sometimes I will dilute it even further if I have someone who I feel is not drinking enough water such as a nursing mom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, My neighbors suggested the milk, they have daushunds, and they said that it would be good for him to drink, and he seemed to love it, But I stopped giving him the wet food, and the milk today. I did soak his dry food in water and he liked it. So for now I'll have him eat that and slowly mix in the new wet food, His breeder did supply me with both wet food and dry food, and some liver treats, but I couldn't find his old wet food, which is why I changed it so suddenly, and I knew it would mess with his stomach but for some reason It didn't even click.

As for the name learning, I will for sure try that he seems to be picking up a little more. And it makes more sense that saying it once would work better.

And for the vet, I feel horrible, but I haven't gotten to take him to the vet yet for 2 reasons, first off because I've had work everyday this week, and secondly the vet hasn't had any appointments open. The breeder has taken him for checkups and hes perfectly healthy but Monday morning, I'm taking him for sure.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have raised some baby kittens on goats milk and a raccoon. I am glad this was brought up. Instead of buying the puppy formula goats milk is what I always prefer to feed any baby . I have a neighbor that milks goats and just gives the milk away. They told me to freeze it till I need it. But I also do have canned on hand as well just incase I can't get a hold of them. I totally agree with Vanitysmom about Goats milk. YOur baby is just beautiful I am in love with him or her.
Char

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.