Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooooo....i just got back from LAX. what happened was that we agreed to meet and i would give her a money order or bank check and i could pick up the dog. there were several things that made me uneasy.

i kept asking my fiancee all night, "how could it be cost-effective for her to fly out her puppies and then fly back home. well we decided we had no choice but to ask her. last night i was having horrible cold feet. i would want him for a second and then my conscience would catch up with my heart and tell me that its not meant to be.

my situation is that i have two wonderful dogs right now who have developed a bond that is growing everyday. the joy of seeing these two interact is really unbelievable. so i wasn't sure if bringing another puppy in the household would effect their bond in a negative way.

okay so on with my long stinkin' post. i didn't get the dog. i met her at LAX. took the advice you guys gave me to not take my check with me and met up with her. she was standing by baggage claim holding the puppy in her arms and i melted when i saw him. HE WAS SOOOO SMALL. i don't think he even weighed a pound. he was to DIE FOR. absolutely gorgeous. he looks like his picture but i would also agree that the picture i posted of him is a really good picture of him (let's say him and his best). anyhow, we talked and she showed me her contract and all her paperwork. she also had a certificate of his pedigree that was really nice. she showed me his health certificate and it said 7 WEEKS. this is when i almost died. he looked really young to me, even younger that tessa when i got her (she was 9 or 10 weeks). the lady did not seem sketchy at all, she was very nice looking and i peeked in her bag and she had a bible in there, always a good sign (i think). anyhow i told her that i would have to go get a check for her and come back and she said that she was boarding her return flight in 45 minutes. well after calling my fiancee a million times, i realized if this decision was so hard for me to make, i shouldn't get him.

i let her know that i would not be taking him and would possible want him when he was a little older. she didn't seem mad at all! it was nuts! she said she would be flying to oakland next week and she would call me as soon as she got home today to figure out what we could do.

the bad part: I STILL WANT HIM. the main reason why i couldn't bring myself to taking him home was because he was so fragile and all i could picture was my oh so friendly rottweiler licking his face and him flying across the room!

if the woman agrees to taking a deposit and keeping him with his mother until 11-12 weeks i would take him in a heart beat.

so there's my update, let me know what you guys think!

oh and she also had taken pictures of him on the plane, peeping out of his carrier, she said she would email them to me, i will post it for you guys. she also showed me pics of the mom and the rest of the littermates. she was a very calm lady and i feel really bad for doing this to her.

thanks for all your help. does this puppy still seem to be a bad idea to you guys. even though he has a ceritificate of pedigree and all the other things i mentioned?

thanks again.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
YOU DID THE RIGHT THING.
Any dog can get a certificate of pedigree. It's nothing more than copying the information on the parents. Having that doesn't mean the dogs behind him were quality dog. Nor does it tell you that health testing was done on that dog.
In the ad on puppyfind, she lists the pup as eight weeks old. She said the pup was born 4/13/05, and the picture was taken on 6/7/05. He would be nine weeks old on Monday, if this information is correct.
Don't be fooled by people carrying a Bible in their purse. Remember, some of the mills use the Christian slant to sell their pups.
I'm just wondering what kind of person this woman is to get on a plane, fly to Los Angeles to sell a pup that is listed for $1000. It just sounds funny to me.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Jun 11 2005, 02:40 PM
YOU DID THE RIGHT THING.
Any dog can get a certificate of pedigree.  It's nothing more than copying the information on the parents.  Having that doesn't mean the dogs behind him were quality dog.  Nor does it tell you that health testing was done on that dog.
In the ad on puppyfind, she lists the pup as eight weeks old.  She said the pup was born 4/13/05, and the picture was taken on 6/7/05.  He would be nine weeks old on Monday, if this information is correct.
Don't be fooled by people carrying a Bible in their purse.  Remember, some of the mills use the Christian slant to sell their pups. 
I'm just wondering what kind of person this woman is to get on a plane, fly to Los Angeles to sell a pup that is listed for $1000.  It just sounds funny to me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71658
[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Those who carry a Bible for everyone to see are the ones you have to be the most wary about. You don't have to show off your beliefs if you have a good conscience. I have a cousin who carries her Bible around, believe me, she is NOT a nice person.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by MalteseJane+Jun 11 2005, 12:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LucyLou
@Jun 11 2005, 02:40 PM
YOU DID THE RIGHT THING.
Any dog can get a certificate of pedigree.  It's nothing more than copying the information on the parents.  Having that doesn't mean the dogs behind him were quality dog.  Nor does it tell you that health testing was done on that dog.
In the ad on puppyfind, she lists the pup as eight weeks old.  She said the pup was born 4/13/05, and the picture was taken on 6/7/05.  He would be nine weeks old on Monday, if this information is correct.
Don't be fooled by people carrying a Bible in their purse.  Remember, some of the mills use the Christian slant to sell their pups. 
I'm just wondering what kind of person this woman is to get on a plane, fly to Los Angeles to sell a pup that is listed for $1000.  It just sounds funny to me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71658
Ditto. Those who carry a Bible for everyone to see are the ones you have to be the most wary about. You don't have to show off your beliefs if you have a good conscience. I have a cousin who carries her Bible around, believe me, she is NOT a nice person.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71660
[/B][/QUOTE]

haha...well should i just forget about the pup then? i'm not worried about champion bloodlines.

LucyLou: i think it is really strange that she would take 8 hours out of her day to fly to los angeles and back and on top of that she wasn't even upset that i didn't take the dog, she thought maybe i'll take him next week or something. a puppymiller wouldn't do that, i'm almost sure she only has a few pups. she also told me she used to buy and resell yorkies.

she said that she buys a standby ticket to fly here and back? does this make sense? are these tickets under $200 bucks? thanks!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I don't think I understand. So why is she flying out here? I know some breeders will fly out to deliver a puppy if both plane tickets were paid for my the buyer. It also cost an extra $60 + to bring a puppy on the plane. I am just really confused.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
LucyLou: i think it is really strange that she would take 8 hours out of her day to fly to los angeles and back and on top of that she wasn't even upset that i didn't take the dog, she thought maybe i'll take him next week or something. a puppymiller wouldn't do that, i'm almost sure she only has a few pups. she also told me she used to buy and resell yorkies.

she said that she buys a standby ticket to fly here and back? does this make sense? are these tickets under $200 bucks? thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71663
[/QUOTE]

She told you what she was: buying and reselling pups--puppybroker!!! Remember the pup you bought from the pet shop? I believe she was a broker also.
True, you may not be interested in buying one with champion lines, but you don't know anything about what you are getting. You have just seen a cute little pup too young to be taken from it's mom and siblings.
I guess my question is why does this woman have to go to this length to sell her pups? If they are that good, people should be coming to her to get them. Her town is located in an area where she should have plenty of sells.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by ourprettytessa@Jun 11 2005, 04:36 PM
she also told me she used to buy and resell yorkies.

[/QUOTE]

If she used to buy and resell Yorkies she was a broker. ..... I'm not sure why she would volunteer that information.... It certainly would not impress me... quite the opposite.

Gosh, If it were me, I would forget all this..... put the money in the bank to help pay for upkeep of the two dogs you have. I'd then forget about getting a puppy for at least three years and would just enjoy the precious babies I already have. Just my 2 cents!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jun 11 2005, 05:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ourprettytessa
@Jun 11 2005, 04:36 PM

If she used to buy and resell Yorkies she was a broker. ..... I'm not sure why she would volunteer that information.... It certainly would not impress me... quite the opposite.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71671
[/B][/QUOTE]
I was wondering about that too...I just wasn't sure if puppy broker was the right term to use.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jun 11 2005, 02:15 PM-->

Gosh, If it were me, I would forget all this..... put the money in the bank to help pay for upkeep of the two dogs you have. I'd then forget about getting a puppy for at least three years and would just enjoy the precious babies I already have. Just my 2 cents!!

[/B][/QUOTE]

my plans exactly!!!! thanks for all your help! the puppy's face just won me over but you all are right. no more pups for a few years....

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by ourprettytessa+Jun 11 2005, 06:27 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 11 2005, 02:15 PM

[/QUOTE]

my plans exactly!!!! thanks for all your help! the puppy's face just won me over but you all are right. no more pups for a few years....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71689
[/B][/QUOTE]

Good for you!!! One more little bit of advice, if I may

I would stay away from those puppy web sites... You're bound to see another precious pup that steals your heart...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I would stay away from those puppy web sites... You're bound to see another precious pup that steals your heart...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71690
[/QUOTE]

i know! i really should. its funny because i happened to be looking one day and saw him and it got me in trouble. its not like i was looking for a puppy, you know?

happy i have you guys to help me out...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71690
i know! i really should. its funny because i happened to be looking one day and saw him and it got me in trouble. its not like i was looking for a puppy, you know?

happy i have you guys to help me out...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71700
[/QUOTE]

If you do decide, in the future that you want a Yorkie, I will refer you to a reputable one I know who is as crazy about her Yorkies as I am about my Maltese. She does show some, but she also has some nice pets. Just don't get in a hurry to get another pup. You have two great ones now, and the third might mess up the mix.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'm glad yo made the right decison for you. When you finally get your yorkie you will be so happy and have a lot of time to spend with them as your other to puppies will be a bit older. It will also make the training a lot easier as the yorkie can learn good habit from the older puppies.

best wishes for the future :D

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Sonshine Acres out in Nebraska touts their Christian faith on their website, but they are one on of the largest puppy mills in the midwest. One of our posters here was taken in by the fact they were religious and her Bella was diagnosed with liver disease when she had her pre spay bloodwork.

And don't forget the Amish who are notorious puppy millers in Lancaster County.

My guess about the fact that she flew out to show you that puppy was that she had someone else lined up for the puppy if you didn't want him, maybe even a pet shop. If you contact her about buying the puppy, my guess is that it will be a different one than the one you saw.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Just a thought...but....

Isn't it possible that some of these people that are advertising themselves as Christians, aren't doing it to give people a false sense of security, but are doing it to help witness to others? After all, as Christians, that is our job. Maybe they are truly honest people who are just ignorant about the puppy mill business and are trying to make a buck. I am not saying that what they are doing in the puppy mill business is right, but what I am trying to say is that just because they carry a Bible or profess their faith on their websites, are obviously amish, etc...doesn't mean they are necessarily using it as a ploy and are dishonest people. Some, maybe...all, I doubt it.
I don't know that it would be fair to tell people to steer clear of these particular individuals, just because they are amish, or tote a Bible or post a claim to their faith on their website. JMO

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Jun 13 2005, 07:25 AM
Just a thought...but....

Isn't it possible that some of these people that are advertising themselves as Christians, aren't doing it to give people a false sense of security, but are doing it to help witness to others? After all, as Christians, that is our job. Maybe they are truly honest people who are just ignorant about the puppy mill business and are trying to make a buck.  I am not saying that what they are doing in the puppy mill business is right, but what I am trying to say is that just because they carry a Bible or profess their faith on their websites, are obviously amish, etc...doesn't mean they are necessarily using it as a ploy and are dishonest people. Some, maybe...all, I doubt it. 
I don't know that it would be fair to tell people to steer clear of these particular individuals, just because they are amish, or tote a Bible or post a claim to their faith on their website. JMO
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72089
[/QUOTE]

I don't think we are saying to stay cleer of the breeders with bible, etc. But more along the lines of, not to trust someone just because they are carying a bible. A puppymill or byb know exactly what they are doing and they are exactly just that...a puppymill or byb. Producing dogs just for the profit. Of course, this is is just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Jun 13 2005, 09:25 AM
Just a thought...but....

Isn't it possible that some of these people that are advertising themselves as Christians, aren't doing it to give people a false sense of security, but are doing it to help witness to others? After all, as Christians, that is our job. Maybe they are truly honest people who are just ignorant about the puppy mill business and are trying to make a buck.  I am not saying that what they are doing in the puppy mill business is right, but what I am trying to say is that just because they carry a Bible or profess their faith on their websites, are obviously amish, etc...doesn't mean they are necessarily using it as a ploy and are dishonest people. Some, maybe...all, I doubt it. 
[/QUOTE]

Girl, I disagree. They are exploiting religion. I hate that! You want people to trust you because you carry a bible? Sorry, but not everyone who goes to church is a good person. I bet I have more morals than most people who goes to church. There are other ways to get us to trust you as a breeder than to use religion as a ploy. It's sorta makes me sick.

Disclaimer...got a really bad headache and woke up moody, so I may be off topic or more rude than usual.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Jun 13 2005, 11:21 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Jun 13 2005, 09:25 AM
Just a thought...but....

Girl, I disagree. They are exploiting religion. I hate that! You want people to trust you because you carry a bible? Sorry, but not everyone who goes to church is a good person. I bet I have more morals than most people who goes to church. There are other ways to get us to trust you as a breeder than to use religion as a ploy. It's sorta makes me sick.

Disclaimer...got a really bad headache and woke up moody, so I may be off topic or more rude than usual.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=72116
[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't have a headache or moodiness today
and I agree with you 100%.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts