Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just brought home an 4mos maltese from a breeder who was feeding him Eukanuba puppy kibbles mixed with boiled chicken I bought Buffalo Blue puppy formula for him but he won't eat it, even when I put Nutrical in it. I also tried to mix the kibble with some Buffalo blue canned food but he wouldn't touch it.
Should I boil some chicken and wean him off of it? I would like him to start eating only kibble.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Are you mixing the old with the new food? Switching foods should be done gradually -- 75% old/25% new for 3-4 days; 50%/50% for the next 3-4 days; 25%/75% for another 3-4 days; then 100% new food. Nutrical should not be mixed in with food; it should only be used if the puppy is on the verge of having a hypoglycemic episode. Most importantly, you should be calling your breeder for advice and assistance.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Sometimes it takes a little bit of them getting used to their new enviroment before they take off eating. Mixing the food as Mary said helps. Usually they will not starve themselves. With a puppy you have to be a bit more careful, but at 4 months old it should be all right. The puppy was probably used to eating with at least one other puppy (?) and isn't sure of it's new home yet. Tomorrow will be another day.

Congratulations on your new addition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts